IGNORED

West Virginia Republicans push for a law making any crime committed for Jesus legal

doggie

ofd course christians never break the law so this should be ok. how can anyone determine what is a true belief? of course this really is only about christians as usual. 

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/religion/west-virginia-republicans-push-for-a-law-making-any-crime-committed-for-jesus-legal/

West Virginia Republicans are trying to squeeze a new through the state legislature that would literally eliminate laws if you can prove Jesus made you do it. That’s right, if they get their way, you’ll be able to cook meth, rob people, rape, pillage and murder if you can show that your religious beliefs, or more specifically your Christian beliefs, not only allow it but require it.

Imagine the chaos in the courtrooms of the Deliverance State (yes, I’m aware it was set in Georgia but stand by the analogy) when the judges have to start dismissing cases because lunatics have the right to be that way “because Jesus.”

“I cooked that meth because my church needed a way to stay up all night and worship Jesus, your honor. That’s what’s called ‘religious freedom.'”

“I had to kill my husband, your honor. He got a job at a bank as a money changer. He was an affront to God.”

“The Lord appeared to me and demanded I rape her, your honor. He says our child is the second coming of the messiah.”

Thin that sounds a little bit hokey? Think that wouldn’t happen? Think again. This is a deep-red state full of people who venture out of the mountains seldom. West Virginians aren’t exactly known for their progressive stance on…anything. According to Patheos:

Fundies won't be happy until the US is a theocracy, even if they have to do it one state at a time.

This is definitely a bill to allow rape and murder in certain cases. This is the one thing I don't get- we're so wrapped up in Islamic fundamentalism that we don't even see what is happening in our back yard. Islamic fundamentalism currently is more actively destructive but it all has to start somewhere, you know?

1 minute ago, Dark Matters said:

Fundies won't be happy until the US is a theocracy, even if they have to do it one state at a time.

Only irony is that with this bill, you'd be able to do legally all the things which fundies usually are very eager to ban. Like gay sex, smoking weed and getting an abortion. Because Jesus made you do it.

So, because of that pesky Constitution, they won't be able to limit religious beliefs to Christian beliefs, right?  So that means that ANY religion could claim religious exemption.  That means that we couldn't prosecute any of the 9/11 attackers- all of whom claim to act based on religious beliefs.  Do these people think things through at all??

The Constitution, how does it work?  

They can make all the stupid laws they want, but it won't make them any more legitimate. The legislatures doing this are just wasting taxpayer money. MI just passed one that violates Lawrence v Texas, under the guise of protecting animals. 

This is why voting matters, even at the local level. 

The Constitution, how does it work?  

They can make all the stupid laws they want, but it won't make them any more legitimate. The legislatures doing this are just wasting taxpayer money. MI just passed one that violates Lawrence v Texas, under the guise of protecting animals. 

This is why voting matters, even at the local level. 

Fundy life often becomes the onion.

31 minutes ago, doggie said:

Fundy life often becomes the onion.

No kidding. Just when you think you've heard the most absurd thing something new and even more ridiculous comes out. 

Well, if this goes through (even briefly), Michael and Debi Pearl may be off the hook. (But would this apply to protecting against civil lawsuits?) What happens if you reacted to the Devil forcing you to do something---or if you were trying to drive the demons OUT of someone? There's been a few cases of kids killed in exorcisms, and I, for one, sure don't want Banita Jacks (another homeschooler, FYI) to be out and on the loose!

this kind of thing assumes all Christians are law abiding and they only do good work in the name of god. they seemed to have missed history.

1 hour ago, samira_catlover said:

Well, if this goes through (even briefly), Michael and Debi Pearl may be off the hook. (But would this apply to protecting against civil lawsuits?) What happens if you reacted to the Devil forcing you to do something---or if you were trying to drive the demons OUT of someone? There's been a few cases of kids killed in exorcisms, and I, for one, sure don't want Banita Jacks (another homeschooler, FYI) to be out and on the loose!

Fortunately, for the Pearls and unfortunately for Tennessee, the Pearls live in Tennessee.  This is a proposal in West Virginia. 

Archived