IGNORED

Baltimore archbishop: ‘Let us be Catholics’

doggie

As the leader of the church’s largest — and perhaps most controversial — effort in a generation or more, the archbishop’s task is to convince Catholics that religious freedom is under attack in the United States and that religious traditionalists, in particular, are victims of something akin to racism and xenophobia.
Yes, Christian fundies are soooo oppressed in the US. :doh:

Yes, Christian fundies are soooo oppressed in the US. :doh:

And they sure don't see how they oppress others for their religious freedoms.

And let's forget in a hurry that is was the Catholic church who opposed many human rights, especially religious liberty, until the 20th century, because allowing liberty means allowing room for error and damn the good people to hell!

As the leader of the church’s largest — and perhaps most controversial — effort in a generation or more, the archbishop’s task is to convince Catholics that religious freedom is under attack in the United States and that religious traditionalists, in particular, are victims of something akin to racism and xenophobia.

Ironic that this story is about a man in Baltimore, which is in Maryland. Maryland law mandates that public schools must be closed on Christmas and Good Friday. Where I live, schools are closed on Christian holidays plus Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kuppur. The Jewish holidays are county law, but the Christian holidays are state mandates. Those poor persecuted Christians!

ETA:

Polls show many Catholics are unconvinced of the idea that religious liberty is under assault.
Good.

Ironic that this story is about a man in Baltimore, which is in Maryland. Maryland law mandates that public schools must be closed on Christmas and Good Friday. Where I live, schools are closed on Christian holidays plus Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kuppur. The Jewish holidays are county law, but the Christian holidays are state mandates. Those poor persecuted Christians!

ETA:

Good.

Yeah, Baltimore has a lot of religious crazies. I think 90% of the area is religious. There are churches on almost every street corner in Baltimore City (there's also a bar across the street from most of these churches).

Yeah, Baltimore has a lot of religious crazies. I think 90% of the area is religious. There are churches on almost every street corner in Baltimore City (there's also a bar across the street from most of these churches).

I think the bars have to work harder for their money, they pay taxes.

What the archbishop really means is; "Let us be ruling old sausage authorative assholes over people who don't agree with us. Fixed it for ya.

ETA:

Good.

Wow, I've never heard of non-Christian holidays being state holidays in Christian-dominated countries before. And I live in Canada. That's really cool.

The main hole in the archbishop's argument is assuming that all Catholics agree with (or practice) the Vatican's stance on birth control. To even suggest such a thing is a joke.

"The campaign’s main rallying cry has been an Obama administration mandate requiring most faith-based employers to make contraception available to employees."

He also states that approximately 40% of the U.S. population is Catholic. If 40% of the population of the U.S. virulently opposed birth control (in virtue of their catholicity), wouldn't the average birth rate be a helluva lot higher? I'm not American but I know an awful lot of catholics... and none of them have more than 4 kids. Most have less. Just like every other average family on the continent.

Just sayin'.

^ Yup. Quoting one of the co-writers of a 2011 Guttmacher study, “Data shows that 98 percent of sexually experienced women of child-bearing age and who identify themselves as Catholic have used a method of contraception other than natural family planning at some point in their lives.â€

I know precisely one Catholic family not using BC other than NFP and I left a parish of over 1000 families. They conceived four children and one that miscarried but they were in their mid-thirties when they married.

I know several families devoutly following all Catholic teaching except the one on BC.

Archived