IGNORED

Rebecca Loomis had her baby!

Kira

There are Nehemiah Schmidts in my family but they don't have another last name pegged onto the end of it. Solid old-skool German name. Nehem is a nice shortening. Miah/Maya/Mia/Miyah is a uber-popular girl's name these days, wouldn't do it (or anything ending with -ayden, I am so sick of Aidan/Kayden/Jayden/Braeden/Hayden and Kayley/Hailey/Bailey/Jayleigh etc etc that I could puke. End of OT rant.)

Sauntina sounds like a new cooking implement to be flogged on 2 AM informercials.

To be fair, most people don't introduce themselves as their full name including middle, and "Nehemiah Loomis" doesn't sound like it belongs in a children's song.

Which name is worse, Nehemiah Schmidt or Sauntina LaVerle?

Oh Sautina by far. Most of the people Nehemiah will come into contact with will know his name well from the Bible.... But Santina LaVerle???Just plain NO.

I wonder if Rebecca suffered toxemia. The caption of the first photo is odd, "finally together" unless they just mean, baby is now born. Rebecca seems far heavier than I would have expected her to be.

I always think it's telling how fundie girls habitually are seen with their arms crossed in front of them. Here, Rebecca's younger brothers do the same.

It says a lot of things, negatively, I think.

And then there is the photo with the possibly, normal, artist aunt from Steven's side. Here the boys have their arms stretched outward. A lot of possibilities here, table present, they are bored or maybe they just "know" they are better than her, because they are male fundies and therefore become assertive. Just some observations.

That baby is so, so, cute.

Too bad the life he will get.

I also wondered that the first photos of Nemmers were with his auntie and not his mom. And Rebecca looks lot plumper now than she did in the late-pregnancy photos. The baby is all Serven at this point ;) but who knows, he'll probably have a nice, ginger beard in 13, 14 years.

Being from the Midwest forever, I kinda roll my eyes at the photo proclaiming that California "has real food!!!!!111!!" But I"m in a beneficent mood and will just keep smiling, instead.

I really want Steven and Rebecca to write a Dominionist screed so that people know what actually lurks behind those appealingly intelligent-dorky faces of theirs. They and the younger Serven children are incredibly valuable arrows in the Doms' overall quivers: "Look at these adorable/pretty/huggable young people/adults! They're just good, wholesome Christian folk! No body wanting to take over the world here, folks, just sit down and give up your rights, eh? There's a good bunch..."

I also wondered that the first photos of Nemmers were with his auntie and not his mom. And Rebecca looks lot plumper now than she did in the late-pregnancy photos. The baby is all Serven at this point ;) but who knows, he'll probably have a nice, ginger beard in 13, 14 years.

Being from the Midwest forever, I kinda roll my eyes at the photo proclaiming that California "has real food!!!!!111!!" But I"m in a beneficent mood and will just keep smiling, instead.

I really want Steven and Rebecca to write a Dominionist screed so that people know what actually lurks behind those appealingly intelligent-dorky faces of theirs. They and the younger Serven children are incredibly valuable arrows in the Doms' overall quivers: "Look at these adorable/pretty/huggable young people/adults! They're just good, wholesome Christian folk! No body wanting to take over the world here, folks, just sit down and give up your rights, eh? There's a good bunch..."

I think that sometimes, and then I wonder. I know plenty of fundies(mostly people raised on the kool-aid) who just don't question. Deep down, they really aren't Dominionists longing to take over the world. They're just simple couples who want to have a lot of kids and a wholesome life. Only since they come from fundie families, they are used as pawns in a way by the hardcore Dominionists who point them out as "arrows in the quiver," as you say.

And I have to admit that I wonder sometimes about the Loomii - are they just a simple, conservative Christian family who wants to live their lives or do they have a Dominionist screed running on their internal monologues?

I have a some Puritan-descended ancestors named Nehemiah - at least three generations of father-sons with it. It seems like a poor decision to pass that name along!

I don't think it's so bad, but it will certainly make him stick out. And as another person with a four syllable name, it's going to be a bit rough without an intuitive nickname.

On the topic of long Biblical names: another person on my family tree was named Mahershalalhashbaz (her nickname was Shelly or something similar). So things could be worse for little Nehemiah, in terms his of name!

Seriously.

I have to quit the internet or I'm going to find a bridge somewhere.

Jean Marie Fambrough - a lovely candidate for full church-lady hood some day soon, inquires sweetly of the Loomii about Nehemiah's latest photoshoot:

...Is that an heirloom "dress" he is wearing? .....!

Great gods almighty, woman, it's a smocked romper. Smocked frocks are not the exclusive purview of female infants and you can put your prurient mind at ease - Prince William was dressed in a smocked romper as a baby (his even had puffy sleeves!) and look how nice and hetero he's turned out!

Aaah! When PW was a baby back in '83, '84, I was embarrassed for myself to be surprised that boy babies could be dressed in smocking. Here it's 2012 and ...

Augh. Enough. Enough.

Maybe we could do some fundy baby matchmaking and get little John Jacob Nehemiah Schmidt and Sauntina LaVerle together. They can have an 18 year courtship, and then start pumping out badly named babies together.

• 2 weeks later...

And I have to admit that I wonder sometimes about the Loomii - are they just a simple, conservative Christian family who wants to live their lives or do they have a Dominionist screed running on their internal monologues?

Women are eligible to complete any degree offered at Covenant Seminary, though for the MDiv they will pursue the non-ordination track.

One post mentions their father getting his doctorate in ministry from this Reformed Calvinist seminary, so I'd say, yeah--Dominionist FTW.

awww! what a cutie-pie! sigh.

I do wonder how they're pronouncing it. I'm gathering from all the posts here that gentiles pronounce it very differently from Jews - the name Nechemiah is pronounced neh-CHEM-yah (with the "ch" being that guttural sound at the beginning of Chanukah, or the city of Chelm in Belorus) in Hebrew. Nehi wouldn't be a nickname with our pronunciation!

• Upvote 1

Why does every fundy have to name their little boy Nehemiah? Why? It's like the fundy version of Aiden and all the names that rhyme with that, now.

• 7 years later...

It's a Hebrew name. I actually have no idea how it would be pronounced in English, and as it contains the guttural Hebrew letter Chet, I can't really transliterate it accurately.

• Upvote 1