IGNORED

Rebecca Loomis had her baby!

Kira

Time for a vote!

Which name is worse, Nehemiah Schmidt or Sauntina LaVerle?

Sauntina LaVerle, hands down. Not a fan of Nehemiah, but no question Sonata/Sonatina/What's-your-name-again?!? is worse.

Every time I read Sauntina I automatically think of Santino from Project Runway many seasons ago, so that's definitely my fave. Methinks her parents did not intend for her name to trigger images of a gay male fashion designer.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of Santino when I read Sauntina's name. Between her and Nehemiah, Sauntina wins for worst name.

I also pronounce it Nee-uh-MY-uh, but my BFF's SIL (got all that?) pronounces her son's name Na-HEE-me-uh. :roll:

Nehemiah Schmidt Loomis sounds like a law firm :?

Sauntina LaVerle is still worse though.

Time for a vote!

Well, I keep thinking of Santana Lopez when I see Sauntina LaVerle, and as I really doubt they wanted to bring to mind a bitchy lesbian cheerleader from Glee, I'll say Sauntina LaVerle. At least Nehemiah Schmidt has a biblical context.

Nehemiah is a good name. Schmidt is kinda dumb but at least it's a middle name. Sauntina LaVerle is just... awful. Someone here mentioned it sounded like the name of a woman who works at a roadside diner with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth--EXACTLY.

Nehemiah is a good name. Schmidt is kinda dumb but at least it's a middle name. Sauntina LaVerle is just... awful. Someone here mentioned it sounded like the name of a woman who works at a roadside diner with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth--EXACTLY.

Sauntina LaVerle sounds like the name for a missing Bouvier sister.

Sauntina LaVerle sounds like the name for a missing Bouvier sister.

Or a relative of Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen.

Sauntina La Verle is worse. At least Nehemiah is an actual name and not a stripper moniker. I don't like his middle name, but Sauntina's is worse. I also think I'd pick Steven and Rebecca as parents if I had to choose. I have hope that they will lighten up in the future.

I don't think Nehemiah is all that bad and i'd bet Schmidt is a family name.

Sauntina or whatever makes me think of The Great Santini.

I don't think the name is so bad, at least as far as weird ass fundie names go. I rather like Nehemiah, but for a cat or something rather than a human. Sauntina LaVerle is just awful :( Poor baby girl. How could someone stumble upon those two names and say, "YES, this is the perfect name for my child!"?

I am not a linguist.

How is Nehemiah pronounced? Three syllables?

I think it's four- neh-eh-MI-ah. Neh-him-aye-ah? But apparently I've heard differently to others! I'm English/Irish though so my accent probably skews things.

That's the only way I've heard pronounced as well.

Still just shaking my head at "Sauntina LaVerle".

I've also heard it pronounced "NEE-uh-MY-uh".

When I say it out loud, I sound like I'm singing the Meow Mix "Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow" song....

Nehemiah is old-fashioned but at least it's a name. Saltina LaVerde or whatever her name is, on the other hand...poor child.

I bet it's a cute baby because the parents are cute. I used to have hope that Steve was going to turn Rebecca back towards a more mainstream lifestyle (after all, we know from childhood photos that Rebecca has known pants! And Steve's family looks normal!) but it seems he's as bad as the rest of the fundies. He sounds like a giant bore in those blogs of his.

I must have been sleeping under a rock -- who is this Sauntina LaVerle? She sounds like a stripper or a burlesque star.

I'm glad Rebecca finally got her baby. Nehemiah is fine (but shortening it to Nehi, which many will, reminds me of grape soda). The Schmidt part is weird, but it's got to be a family name -- maybe her mother's maiden name? I'm just glad they finally got their baby.

I was going to say that at least I've heard the name Nehemiah before, but obviously I've read it, not heard it. I thought it was pronounced 'Neh-huh-MY-uh'.

Nehemiah is old-fashioned but at least it's a name. Saltina LaVerde or whatever her name is, on the other hand...poor child.

:laughing-rolling: I spit cherries all over my netbook at that one. :lol:

+1 To the John Jacob Nehemiah Schmidt chorus.

Time for a vote!

Definitely Sauntina LaVerle!

I agree with whomever said Sauntina LaVerle sounds like a stripper name. Also, I now have 'John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt' stuck in my head (the 'Barney' version, thanks to a younger sister). :? :lol:

I have to admit I quite like Nehemiah. But it is a bit of a mouthful - can it be shortened to anything? Nemo? :lol:

Sauntina LaVerle is dreadful.

I have to admit I quite like Nehemiah. But it is a bit of a mouthful - can it be shortened to anything? Nemo? :lol:

Sauntina LaVerle is dreadful.

Maybe "Miah" for a nickname? I know someone named Jeremiah and they call him Miah for short. (pronounced My a)

Massive fail on the name. There's no graceful nickname in any of Nehemiah's four syllables, and the poor kid doesn't even have a middle name that's useable as a call-name instead.

I am happy for Rebecca that she got her baby, and that it's a boy. Girls have such a rough time of it in this culture. We know that Stephen has seen the benefits of a college education in his own life, and I suspect he won't object to higher education for a son. The kid's growing up within spitting distance of San Francisco, so he'll be aware of non-fundie life around him and have the education to walk away if he wants.

One day old and his prospects are already much brighter than Christina Mercy's.

snippage There's no graceful nickname in any of Nehemiah's four syllables

Maybe they could call him Hemi and he'll grow up being really into cars. Or maybe pipe organs.

Spacing is good.

I keep thinking her name's Satsuma, so I'm going for that...

:lol:

I think Sauntina LaVerle is worse, too. Nehemiah is a real name that can be shortened to something like Miah. Schmidt is a surname, but it's in the family and it's not uncommon to give children family surnames as middle names.

Poor little Sauntina, on the other hand ... For starters, her parents say they named her that because a sonatina is a little song. Personally I wouldn't name a child after a type of music, but it's not unforgivable until you throw in the kreeaytiv spelling. Then you get to the middle name, which looks French but is not only not a French word (the best I could get in Google translate was the Spanish word for "to see"), it follows some rather sketchy grammar and does not mean "truth" like the parents claim - the French word for that would be vérité. Actually, if they'd named her "Sonata Verity" I'd find it unusual, but not "Can I have whatever they've been smoking?" weird.