IGNORED

The New Abortion Caravan

aubrietta

I like the one that said "If I want the government in my uterus, i'd fuck Stephen Harper". I literally laughed out loud. And everyone knows that no one in their right mind would want to fuck Stephen Harper so it follows that no one in their right mind would want the government in their uterus :lol:

Oh my God, that's the best sign ever!

Interesting that the anti-choicers rely on gory images rather than actual arguments. IMO they aren't even disturbing when you realise they're a lot of blood and that fetuses and embryos look like aliens. The only thing vaguely close to an argument is "I regret my abortion", but it's illogical to say that one person's poor choice should deny others that choice. I think one of the signs has the perfect rebuttal to that: "If you won't trust me with a choice, how can you trust me with a child?"

Oh my God, that's the best sign ever!

Interesting that the anti-choicers rely on gory images rather than actual arguments. IMO they aren't even disturbing when you realise they're a lot of blood and that fetuses and embryos look like aliens. The only thing vaguely close to an argument is "I regret my abortion", but it's illogical to say that one person's poor choice should deny others that choice. I think one of the signs has the perfect rebuttal to that: "If you won't trust me with a choice, how can you trust me with a child?"

This. The main reason people flinch when they see those is because they're gory. The main people they upset are people who've lost wanted pregnancies. I've always said you'd have to be pretty damn stupid to confuse people being grossed out for people being convinced of your point. I also notice that the people who do claim to have had their "hearts changed" by those pictures...well the elevator doesn't go up to the top floor for them.

ETA And I know that sounds mean, but surely I'm not the first to notice this.

I like the one that said "If I want the government in my uterus, i'd fuck Stephen Harper". I literally laughed out loud. And everyone knows that no one in their right mind would want to fuck Stephen Harper so it follows that no one in their right mind would want the government in their uterus :lol:

Now THAT is an image that I don't want in my brain, :lol:

Oh god, I thought I had successfully scrubbed that from my mind... :cry:

I'd seen that too but I didn't recognize the link so I clicked again. Ewwwwwww! That is something you can't unsee. Why must you torture me scarring imagery? :lol: But that perfectly illustrates my point that even the most pro choice of person can't possibly want Stephen Harper anywhere near their uterus

LIKE :clap:

Someone totally needs to make an entire pro-choice song to the tune of Call me, Maybe. That would be perfection :D

Maybe I'll try one, this sign has inspired me. There were some awesomely clever signs there, I love it! And of course the only clever/logical signs were on the pro-choice side, because the pro-life side had to rely on gory images that anyone wouldn't want to look at no matter what they believe instead of, you know, real arguments.

I work at a Canadian University and our administration tried to kick the 'gory photo brigade' of anti-abortionists off campus for trespassing. They took it to court and won the right to be here with there gory billboards. So, the university put up barriers and warnings all around them, so nobody had to see the gore, unless they wanted to. I was proud of our administration!

I LOVE 'Thou shalt not not mess with reproductive rights. Fallopians 4:28'

The Stephen Harper nude - EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.

Ugh... is that disgusting and annoying Mary Wagner behind this? I think Canadians are cool, but miss Wagner is an exception...

Anyone, pro-life people don't care about quality of life. There is a big difference between being pro-life and pro-quality of life.

If I could attend such a counter-protest, I would probably write a sign with the following text: "What happens to the fetus that you stopped from being aborted?". I know they don't have a satisfying answer. It pro-lifers could pretend for a moment that all people were like fetuses, then maybe they would actually care about what happens with people after they are born. Right now they want to force you to have a child you don't want/can't care for, and then basically leave you without any help. A woman who can't provide for a child, isn't magically going to have the means to provide for it. A woman who doesn't want a child, will not magically start wanting it just because it's born.

There are children here already. There are lots of them. Some of them are homeless and hungry, others are being abused. What are the fetus-friendly child-friendly pro-lifers doing for them? A child is a reality. A fetus is not a reality, but a possibility.

As long as we have child poverty, I find a pro-life stance to be absolutely irresponsible and immoral. Yes, pro-lifers are irresponsible .

Ugh... is that disgusting and annoying Mary Wagner behind this? I think Canadians are cool, but miss Wagner is an exception...

Mary Wagner is involved with this group because she knows the people involved at the top - but unless I'm mistaken, she's still in jail from her last attempt to cross into a bubble zone to do her thing.

The fundie Catholics I used to know think she is a modern day saint. :shock:

We don't want her either, believe me.

This. The main reason people flinch when they see those is because they're gory. The main people they upset are people who've lost wanted pregnancies. I've always said you'd have to be pretty damn stupid to confuse people being grossed out for people being convinced of your point. I also notice that the people who do claim to have had their "hearts changed" by those pictures...well the elevator doesn't go up to the top floor for them.

ETA And I know that sounds mean, but surely I'm not the first to notice this.

I didn't even think of this, but now that you've pointed it out I think the anti-choicers are being incredibly insensitive. Miscarriage is terribly painful emotionally, and a woman recovering from the miscarriage of a much-wanted pregnancy shouldn't be exposed to images of dead fetuses while going about her day-to-day business. It's cruel and does nothing to further intelligent and critical dialogue on the subject.

I also loved the "Thou shalt not not mess with reproductive rights. Fallopians 4:28" sign because, by satirizing the bible, it shows how ridiculous it is to base political policy on the bible, which is the root of a lot of pro-life sentiment.

Archived