IGNORED

Melinda Gates investing billions in women's health

happy atheist

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/05/06/melinda-gates-new-crusade-investing-billions-in-women-s-health.html

Melinda Gates (wife of Bill Gates), a catholic, has decided that her signature issue will be family planning. The Gates Foundation is investing billions in research into new contraceptives, and to world-wide contraceptive access.

Way to go Melinda!

Woot!

This is a good example on how people who have different views on the morality of abortion can work together.

I highly respect the Gateses for how they use their money to help others. They remind me of the Packards (of Hewlitt-Packard fame), especially Lucille, who set up a non-profit children's hospital that turns no child away for any reason. She's said that those who have more money than they could ever spend have the duty and responsibility to make sure that those who don't have enough still get the care they need.

I highly respect the Gateses for how they use their money to help others. They remind me of the Packards (of Hewlitt-Packard fame), especially Lucille, who set up a non-profit children's hospital that turns no child away for any reason. She's said that those who have more money than they could ever spend have the duty and responsibility to make sure that those who don't have enough still get the care they need.

I hadn't heard about the Packards & I had assumed Melinda was atheist like Bill (which is neither. Here nor there but I'm tickled she's almost-a-Lutheran ;) ) -- I sure appreciate these I fo-bits because I can use some good news and this all certainly is just that !!!

I was thrilled to read this article about Melinda Gates. I think the article mentioned that she was/is Catholic...and it went on to say that many American Catholics do not agree with the church's stand on no birth control. It also stated she had met nuns who were supporting what she was doing.

I was thrilled to read this article about Melinda Gates. I think the article mentioned that she was/is Catholic...and it went on to say that many American Catholics do not agree with the church's stand on no birth control. It also stated she had met nuns who were supporting what she was doing.

There was a news article on a few days ago about the Catholic church starting to kick out nuns who are supportive of people using birth control. There were some nuns interviewed who said that the church needs to work with the changing times instead of holding to 16th century ideals, otherwise they're just going to keep pushing more people away, and the church needs to realize families can't get by just by claiming a patch of land like they could once upon a time.

There was a news article on a few days ago about the Catholic church starting to kick out nuns who are supportive of people using birth control. There were some nuns interviewed who said that the church needs to work with the changing times instead of holding to 16th century ideals, otherwise they're just going to keep pushing more people away, and the church needs to realize families can't get by just by claiming a patch of land like they could once upon a time.

Yes this I think between birth control and gays and other outdated crap churches are going to pay the price if they don't mature and change with the times. No where in the bible does it say anything against birth control get over it catholic church.

Colour me impressed! Not surprised that it's coming from a Catholic if it comes from a religious person at all, though.

The Catholics I know either seem to be totally fundie or what my husband (who himself is Catholic) calls "Kennedy Catholics." Either completely focused on the Church and it's doctrine, or barely noticing it at all, if any. The latter are some of the most open and progressive of the religious people I know, and the former are some of the looniest. Hell, my husband is more liberal than I am.

One of those weird paradoxes.

i too am impressed with out the Gateses use their money. makes me proud to be a Washingtonian!

Ive long admired the gates foundation and charities.

While I personally agree that religion needs to catch up with the times, its also true that evangelicals are the single fastest growing Christian group. Even in my small county here, one of the two Episcopal churches has closed its doors, but we have three huge Mega-ish evangelical churches. One with a huge and very expensive private school.

I wonder if the Vatican is going to launch an investigation into The Gates Foundation and excommunicate Melinda. I wouldn't put it past them, considering their recent hatred of all that is good and holy: nuns, girl scouts...

Archived