IGNORED

Do the Duggars approve of all "classical" music...

Seven Severn

I think in the Duggar's little mind, all classical music comes simply from the mythical "past" when men were men and women were women and there were no evil gays or feminists or abortionists or liberals and all women stayed at home wearing beautiful dresses until they married the prince God sent to them......

This.

There was another FJ thread about fundies and classical music several months ago, inspired by the Loomiis' pseudo-academic music/hymn-writing website. On it, Steven issued the solemn warning that families should be very careful when studying the life and works of Aaron Copland (a Jew, mind you), because he "hadn't lived a Christ-honoring life."

As is their wont in so many other areas of life, the fundies twist music to their own superior and exclusive use.

I wonder if Beethoven is allowed. He was quite the rebel back in the day.

I can't think of any hymns written in 3-time

Amazing Grace

Lurv Deevine

The day thou gavest

When I survey

Of the Father's love begotten

St Patrick's Breastplate

Crimond (the Lord's my shepherd)

Abbot's Leigh (glorious things of thee are spoken)

Hyfrydol

Thou whose almighty word

At even ere the sun was set ("Angelus")

Sun of my soul thou saviour dear (Abends or Hursley)

Thuringia (I am leafing through Ancient and Modern)

Bishopthorpe

"Ach Herr" from Praetorius, 16th century

Was lebet (o worship the lord in the beauty of holiness)

"First Mode Melody" by Tallis, 16th century

Saffron Walden (Just as I am)

Gelobt sei Gott (the strife is oer)

...you get the idea.

I think in the Duggar's little mind, all classical music comes simply from the mythical "past" when men were men and women were women and there were no evil gays or feminists or abortionists or liberals and all women stayed at home wearing beautiful dresses until they married the prince God sent to them......

So the fact that many classical composers were catholic, and a significant number were adulterous or gay, wouldn't register with them, just like the fact that being a stay at home wife or daughter is an economic luxury almost unheard of for most of the population in the past and in the present doesn't register with them. They don't have any grounding in history.

They wouldn't know that much classical music has a religious theme simply because the most generous patrons available were the church and the royal courts, so the composers gave their pieces the themes that these patrons demanded, not necessarily because they had religious drive and inspiration when writing them.

I think this is probably right. I don't think knowledge or reason are strong points of them.

I remember seeing a list somewhere about what music was allowed in good Christian homes and what wasn't.

Stravinsky, wasn't allowed....He was of the devil!!!!! or something like that.

The Duggars probably do ban some classical music in the home. I do feel sorry for those kids, because they aren't able to experience various genres of music.

Yea, Gothard and his wacky rules. He claims that since the heart has four beats, and since the stronger beats are 1 and 3 (the lub dubs), then anything that goes against this is of the devil. That's why only 1,3 music is acceptable. Gothard also preached about how using the black keys were evil, which makes absolutely no sense. Without going into much theory, you can have a perfectly good Christian hymn, played in B major for example, and most of the keys played will be black. It's all bullshit, and he just tries to put fear in his followers.

IDK about 3/4 hymns, but I know you could make Amazing Grace into 4/4 time, and I'm sure you could with other hymns.

It's all a bunch of stupid if you ask me.

Yea, Gothard and his wacky rules. He claims that since the heart has four beats, and since the stronger beats are 1 and 3 (the lub dubs), then anything that goes against this is of the devil. That's why only 1,3 music is acceptable. Gothard also preached about how using the black keys were evil, which makes absolutely no sense. Without going into much theory, you can have a perfectly good Christian hymn, played in B major for example, and most of the keys played will be black. It's all bullshit, and he just tries to put fear in his followers.

To be fair, Baroque composers used specific keys for specific things (http://www.wmich.edu/mus-theo/courses/keys.html has something similar though it doesn't line up with the things I was told).

IDK about 3/4 hymns, but I know you could make Amazing Grace into 4/4 time, and I'm sure you could with other hymns.

Well, you could, yes. There were a lot of places playing "Away in a Manger" in 4/4 last Christmas. Let's just say it got to the point where I would immediately walk out again.

True enough.

I would think it has a lot to do with the more "sinful" types of music have the heavy down beat like jazz, swing, and of course, rock and roll. The heavy downbeat is thought to be very sexual (after all, "rock and roll" is a sexual reference in itself).

I would think it has a lot to do with the more "sinful" types of music have the heavy down beat like jazz, swing, and of course, rock and roll. The heavy downbeat is thought to be very sexual (after all, "rock and roll" is a sexual reference in itself).

That's charitable. I assumed that the real underlying reason is that all these musical styles are associated with black people and culture. Maybe I'm just a little prone to assuming racism, but....

That's charitable. I assumed that the real underlying reason is that all these musical styles are associated with black people and culture. Maybe I'm just a little prone to assuming racism, but....

No, you have a point. That makes a lot of sense, but remember that black people were once thought to be horny, oversexed, and insatiably lustful. They were pumping that through their music.

Archived