IGNORED

Do the Duggars approve of all "classical" music...

Seven Severn

or are there styles/composers that are verboten? We know that Bach is okay, but is all Baroque music approved? What about the Romantic or Classical composers? Would the personal lives of the composers make a difference to them and their ilk? I don't think they'd approve of Tchaikovsky (gay) or Liszt (illegitimate children), but maybe they just don't know.

I think from what others have posted that there is indeed a list of approved music.

Also, I have what I thought was not a great ear but even I can tell that the Duggars haven't listened to much great classical -- or any other -- music. As with religion. science, literature or politics, they know what they know.

My guess would be that all classical music is koolio, especially considering they would never allow their kids to google the composer.

There is no way all classical music is permissible (imho)! MAYBE all Euro-classical music at best, but even then I'm not sure. I am confident though that traditional/classical Caribbean, Middle Eastern, African, etc music would be verboten!

or are there styles/composers that are verboten? We know that Bach is okay, but is all Baroque music approved? What about the Romantic or Classical composers? Would the personal lives of the composers make a difference to them and their ilk? I don't think they'd approve of Tchaikovsky (gay) or Liszt (illegitimate children), but maybe they just don't know.

The composer is Vivaldi a catholic priest and this singer, well.........

I can't see them allowing Igor Stravinsky--too boundary-pushing. His ballet The Rite of Spring caused riots at the premiere!

They do love faux-classical music too. The Blood Song sounds old, but isn't.

I'm not sure if the Duggars are aware of the distinctions between the different periods (Baroque vs. Classical vs. Romantic, etc). I'm wondering if they'd allow them to listen to Opera (I'm a huge Opera fan). Certainly not in English. Many of those Operas are full of sexual innuendo, full out sex, premarital relationships, extramarital relationships and other fun assorted goodies.

I think in the Duggar's little mind, all classical music comes simply from the mythical "past" when men were men and women were women and there were no evil gays or feminists or abortionists or liberals and all women stayed at home wearing beautiful dresses until they married the prince God sent to them......

So the fact that many classical composers were catholic, and a significant number were adulterous or gay, wouldn't register with them, just like the fact that being a stay at home wife or daughter is an economic luxury almost unheard of for most of the population in the past and in the present doesn't register with them. They don't have any grounding in history.

They wouldn't know that much classical music has a religious theme simply because the most generous patrons available were the church and the royal courts, so the composers gave their pieces the themes that these patrons demanded, not necessarily because they had religious drive and inspiration when writing them.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that they don't listen to music with a drumbeat, and some classical has drums to it, such as the first movement from one of my favorite works:

NCXRqgXiARA

Can't find anything defrauding about this, but there is a heavy drumbeat so maybe it would be out.

I can't see them allowing Igor Stravinsky--too boundary-pushing. His ballet The Rite of Spring caused riots at the premiere!

I was just going to mention that one! Way too rule-breaky for the Duggars.

And certainly no Debussy - Prélude à l'après-midi d'une faune is way too sensual.

edited for French!riffles.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that they don't listen to music with a drumbeat, and some classical has drums to it, such as the first movement from one of my favorite works:

NCXRqgXiARA

Can't find anything defrauding about this, but there is a heavy drumbeat so maybe it would be out.

I don't remember the drumbeat thing, but I do seem to recall Boob saying that they don't listen to music with "off" beats. 1 2 3 4 is okay, but 1 2 3 4 leads to sinful behavior or something.

I don't remember the drumbeat thing, but I do seem to recall Boob saying that they don't listen to music with "off" beats. 1 2 3 4 is okay, but 1 2 3 4 leads to sinful behavior or something.

Could be, but either way it is still pretty wonky.

I've heard the 2/4 beat argument before. Didn't make much sense to me to be honest, but that could just be because I'm not musically inclined and have a hard time understanding what all that is about, and can't seem to hear it when it's pointed out to me.

Wouldn't 1/3 and 2/4 be essentially the same thing? I mean, the rhythm would then still be every other beat, would it not? Or maybe I'm just musically challenged...

I'm musically challenged too. But do wonder what they Duggars would make of Don Giovanni. Or what would ever happen if they knew that so much "classical" music was composed by Catholics.

Or if someone in that family developed an ear.

They do love faux-classical music too. The Blood Song sounds old, but isn't.

What song is this? I keep hearing people complain about "the blood song" but I don't know what it is.

What song is this? I keep hearing people complain about "the blood song" but I don't know what it is.

Maybe this one?

Ggf6-FZsrQA

They do sing it all the time, although it doesn't sound remotely classical (or old) to me.

I've heard the 2/4 beat argument before. Didn't make much sense to me to be honest, but that could just be because I'm not musically inclined and have a hard time understanding what all that is about, and can't seem to hear it when it's pointed out to me.

Wouldn't 1/3 and 2/4 be essentially the same thing? I mean, the rhythm would then still be every other beat, would it not? Or maybe I'm just musically challenged...

No, not the same, the emphasis is different. If you can, try tapping a steady beat on your leg and count aloud while you do it, 1-2-3-4, like the ticking on the second hand of a clock. With your other hand, tap ONLY on beats 1 and 3 and listen to how it sounds; then use that same hand to tap only on 2 and 4 - you may hear the difference (so long as you keep the steady beat going on your leg)!

In one episode (I think the older specials??) two of the girls were sitting at the piano playing Ragtime throughout the episode. The Entertainer was one of the songs.

I'm just mad that those kids don't get more of the arts in their education. I absolutely loved all kinds of music as a kid and one of my favorite films was the original Fantasia (which also contains my all-time favorite Disney villain Chernabog). With their limited "classical" music they could be connecting it to history, government, and even math and science if they extend themselves a bit.

In one episode (I think the older specials??) two of the girls were sitting at the piano playing Ragtime throughout the episode. The Entertainer was one of the songs.

I thought it was the Maple Leaf Rag, but whatever, it was definitely Joplin. That one surprised me, but I guess if you have a piece written in 12/7 time or something kooky like Joplin was known to do, Gothard doesn't have a rule AGAINST it. But 2:4/4:4 are definitely no-no's. Not sure about waltzes since there's only emphasis on the first of the three beats. Can't say I've ever heard them play one; I can't think of any hymns written in 3-time, unless someone wrote something in 12:9 or something way out there and it comes off as more of a "square" piece.

I bet the Bateses would love Wagner, what with their shared views on race and whatnot. :naughty:

I thought it was the Maple Leaf Rag, but whatever, it was definitely Joplin. That one surprised me, but I guess if you have a piece written in 12/7 time or something kooky like Joplin was known to do, Gothard doesn't have a rule AGAINST it. But 2:4/4:4 are definitely no-no's. Not sure about waltzes since there's only emphasis on the first of the three beats. Can't say I've ever heard them play one; I can't think of any hymns written in 3-time, unless someone wrote something in 12:9 or something way out there and it comes off as more of a "square" piece.

I bet the Bateses would love Wagner, what with their shared views on race and whatnot. :naughty:

Most of the Baptist hymns in the Southern Baptist hymnal are in 3/4 time or 2/4 time. I assume both of those are against the rules. They seem to only do 4/4. I don't pay too much attention though because I still don't know what the blood song is.

Archived