IGNORED

BJU expulsion

genericJname

How do they know he watched Glee? Do they track the websites you go to? Or did he post about it on Facebook I wonder? However they found out getting 50 points for watching a tv show is crazy (even for them) isn't it?

I have wondered those same things. If he was living in student housing, a roommate or RA might have spotted him watching the show and reported it. Facebook is another possibility, he could have posted about it and a classmate or someone could have seen it. Based on the some of the stuff I've read about BJU, and other extremely strict Christian colleges, I think a snitch system probably happens.

I have wondered those same things. If he was living in student housing, a roommate or RA might have spotted him watching the show and reported it. Facebook is another possibility, he could have posted about it and a classmate or someone could have seen it. Based on the some of the stuff I've read about BJU, and other extremely strict Christian colleges, I think a snitch system probably happens.

IIRC, he says that they moved an RA into his room with him. (All dorm rooms there are multiple occupant. They probably moved someone else out).

Is it BJU where interracial dating is now allowed, but only with signed parental permission? Or am I thinking of Pensacola?

Crown College in TN does that, so others may. At the fundy college I went to, it was allowed, but still really looked down on and really only even accepted in certain cases - a few guys dated girls from Asian and Pacific Island backgrounds, but a white girl dating a black guy was considered to be doing it out of rebellion and watched like a haw until she could get demerits and be banned from it.

If you want some insight into the crazy rules of these fundie colleges, read "An Unlikely Disciple" - it is written by a guy that spent a semester at Liberty disguised as a fundie. (He is agnostic and graduated from Brown)

The Wartburg Watch did a pretty good blog post about this incident (imo):

thewartburgwatch dot com/2012/04/30/bob-jones/

The Wartburg Watch did a pretty good blog post about this incident (imo):

thewartburgwatch dot com/2012/04/30/bob-jones/

Thanks for the article....I'm going to bookmark this site.

Maybe the cast of Glee will do a benefit to help the guy finish school.

BJU is crazy town! My boss went there for a year- her parents wanted her to go to a Christian College (at least for one year) and it was either BJU, Liberty, or Pensacola. She ended up at BJU because other people in her family had gone there, too. She said they do bed check every night and all lights must be turned off. I guess you'd never get to pull an all-nighter there, huh? They also had a mandatory time you had to get out of bed every morning. It sounded more like a very strict summer camp than college. She said the whole demerit thing was out of control. Because BJU isn't accredited, she said most of the credits weren't accepted by her new college. She said people at BJU were classified as MK's- MIssionary Kids or PK's- Preacher's Kids. People in her classes couldn't believe she wanted to work outside the home after she was married. She transferred after her Freshman year.

I think BJU had to backtrack their interracial dating stance after GWB had some dealings with them during one of his runs for the presidency. Someone reported the student who was expelled watching Glee off campus. Obviously they were looking for him to do anything wrong, no matter how minor, after he was involved in the campaign to have Phelps removed.

So wrong...the admin should have been glad to ditch Phelps after hearing of his actions.

I attended (in person, myself, for real, not a "friend" of someone who did, etc, etc) BJU my freshman year. I'm old; it was a long time ago.

She said they do bed check every night and all lights must be turned off.
Yes, that was true then.

I guess you'd never get to pull an all-nighter there, huh?.

No. This posed a significant problem for me during finals weeks, and when a big paper was due. Hated this.

They also had a mandatory time you had to get out of bed every morning.

This was more a problem in that you weren't allowed to get up early, for the same reasons detailed above. Also because bathroom space was insufficient for the number of women that needed to use it. I always had 8:00 classes, so sleeping in wasn't going to happen anyway.

She said the whole demerit thing was out of control.

Not my experience. I only had, I think, 15 demerits the entire year. Those were for being late to an 8:00 class (see above). That said, I had a personality that didn't push the envelope. I tried to follow the rules. Unlike some other fundy schools, BJU's rules were published and well known before I even arrived. A student cannot fight the system there and win. Not going to happen. Over and done with. Period. The student this thread is about needs good legal representation to ensure that all his completed work remains fully on his transcript and fully available. The legal representation needs to get his money back for the final semester due to the circumstances of his being expelled. Period on that, too.

Because BJU isn't accredited, she said most of the credits weren't accepted by her new college.

That may have happened, but it is not usually the case. In spite of being fundy, BJU had/has very high academic standards and these are well known in the academic world. They were not accredited when I attended. They have been accredited the past several years by TRACS, which is not ideal. All that said, after my one year at BJU, I transferred to the University of Cincinnati, and all my credits were accepted fully, except one Bible class.

She said people at BJU were classified as MK's- MIssionary Kids or PK's- Preacher's Kids.

Not sure what this is saying. MK and PK are common terms in the church world. Many BJU students were/are neither of the these. These didn't give any special status at BJU.

People in her classes couldn't believe she wanted to work outside the home after she was married.

I did not experience this. I was (and this was well known) fully planning to become a health care professional during my time there.

She transferred after her Freshman year.
I did, too. See above.

A couple more comments. My own daughters went to secular universities. Period.

Some things have changed. As already mentioned, the no interracial dating thing was changed. I had hopes that Stephen Jones was in the process of bringing BJU into a new world, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. And the whole Chuck Phelps thing is just wrong, totally wrong. Very disappointing.

Archived