IGNORED

D. Savage pisses off HS kids, gets called a Christian basher

Alana Rickman

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... -shitstorm

While giving a keynote address at a high school journalism conference, Dan Savage talked about how bullies and bigots use the Bible to justify their bullying and bigotry "BECAUSE THE BIBLE SAYS SO!!!" but have no problem ignoring other parts of the same book. Some of the kids at the conference walked out, and now Savage is being accused of "Christian bashing."

I know some people don't care for him, and I myself would have made different, um, rhetorical choices if I were speaking to a crowd of students and their teachers, but everything that he said is true. Am I being too optimistic if I hope that some of those kids will think back on his words the next time they try to use the Bible to justify their homophobia?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While giving a keynote address at a high school journalism conference

Isn't journalism that thing where you're supposed to be seeking to expose the truth?

And some of these aspiring truth-seekers walked out after hearing, you know, the thing they should be searching for? Way to prove you're in the wrong goddamn place, kiddos.

I thought this was going to be about Homeschool kids.

Maybe he is a Christian basher but in this case, they have it coming.

And, why go to a conference by someone who, is at least known for stirring the pot? That's like going to see Lisa Lampanelli and being shocked at the number of a vagina and black boyfriend jokes.

Stop getting pissy when people call you out, overly sensitive people.

Christians should be the loudest voice against misusing the bible to justify hatred and cruelty.

When you walk out of a speech because someone said not to use your holy book to bully others, you might need to rethink what you believe that your faith teaches.

Christians should be the loudest voice against misusing the bible to justify hatred and cruelty.

When you walk out of a speech because someone said not to use your holy book to bully others, you might need to rethink what you believe that your faith teaches.

Oh but that'll never happen because then they'll have to concede that not all of it is literally true, and that there are contradictions in the text. Besides they're just addicted to the power.

I know plenty of Christians who would agree with Savage. Of course, Savage is probably talking about things like "Don't wear blended fibers" while those Christians are thinking of "What you do to the least among you, you do also to Me."

but but how could they hate the gays otherwise?

I think they were walking out because of the swearing, not because he was talking about gays since many walked out as soon as the word bullshit came out of his mouth. Christians do not respond well to hearing bullshit and the Bible in same sentence. If he had toned down the foul language, I think many would have stayed. That's just my opinion though. I did agree with most of what he said minus the swearing. I don't think it was necessary to get his point across. Most Christians never have and never will respond to swearing when referring to the Bible. Me personally, I might have stayed because he had some good points, if for no other reason than to prove that he wasn't going to upset me enough to make me leave.

I disagree with Dan Savage on a LOT of things and hate some of the things he says, but what he said to those kids was awesome. I'd think Christians wouldn't want their holy book to be used as an excuse for bigotry. If they're going to walk out for that, how are they supposed to ever be journalists? They're going to hear a lot worse and report on things they don't agree with all the time. Dan Savage is many things, but this incident does not make him a Christian basher. It makes him a basher of those who use religion as an excuse for bigotry and that's an awesome thing to be.

I think they were walking out because of the swearing, not because he was talking about gays since many walked out as soon as the word bullshit came out of his mouth. Christians do not respond well to hearing bullshit and the Bible in same sentence. If he had toned down the foul language, I think many would have stayed. That's just my opinion though. I did agree with most of what he said minus the swearing. I don't think it was necessary to get his point across. Most Christians never have and never will respond to swearing when referring to the Bible. Me personally, I might have stayed because he had some good points, if for no other reason than to prove that he wasn't going to upset me enough to make me leave.

So these Christians are outraged enough at naughty words to walk out but when it comes to bigots using their own holy book to justify the kind of hatred and discrimination that their savior preached against- nothing doin'?

I'll say this for Dan Savage- he calls it like he sees it. And yes, those people that stormed out in a pique are a bunch of pansy-asses.

I would have given him a standing ovation.

I would have slapped him. That asshole called minor children pansy-assed. He was supposed to be giving an anti bullying speech and he did the very thing that a bully does. If a father told his son that he was acting pansy assed, that would be considered verbal abuse and people would call him a bully. If a kid in school said that to another student, it would be considered bullying. Savage doesn't get a pass because he offended Christian kids.

I would have slapped him. That asshole called minor children pansy-assed. He was supposed to be giving an anti bullying speech and he did the very thing that a bully does. If a father told his son that he was acting pansy assed, that would be considered verbal abuse and people would call him a bully. If a kid in school said that to another student, it would be considered bullying. Savage doesn't get a pass because he offended Christian kids.

QFT

I'll say this for Dan Savage- he calls it like he sees it. And yes, those people that stormed out in a pique are a bunch of pansy-asses.

It is not okay at all to call minor children pansy asses.

It is not okay at all to call minor children pansy asses.

It's also not okay to physically assault someone for calling minor children pansy asses.

I wouldn't slap him but he was being a bully to those who disagree with him and those who walked out. A clear case of the kettle calling the pot black. :evil:

It's also not okay to physically assault someone for calling minor children pansy asses.

Adults who bully children need to be slapped.

Dan is really starting to piss me off. He is the father of a male child, is this the lesson he wants to teach?

I wonder if he calls his own son a pansy ass. I can't imagine the hurt a boy would feel if his father called him a pansy.

Adults who bully children need to be slapped.

No, they don't. Nothing a person says, no matter how vile, justifes physical violence.

Dan Savage was talking to high school KIDS, not adults, so he gets no free pass from me. In fact, I'm glad those kids walked away from his verbal abuse. Why should they have to sit through something like that? Instead of bashing Christians, maybe Savage could provide examples of prominent Christians who are gay-friendly or who have issued anti-bullying statements?

First off, whoever planned this should be questioned as to their motives. Having Dan Savage speak on Journalism to a bunch of high school kids is like having Jenna Jameson speak on filmmaking to a bunch of high school kids.

1)He has a sex-advice column, not an investigative journalism career. (Sorry, seeing how many dudes you can felch is not investigative journalism)

2) Have they not READ his column? He says naughty words, like a lot.

3) From what I have read, he did specifically insult the Bible and the Christian religion. Not cool. If he had talked about the shit in the Kuran heads would have rolled.

4) Yes, calling a high school kid pansy assed for standing up for a belief is really mean. He didn;t know that kid or those kids personally, so just wiping the incident off as labeling them bullies is really shallow and prejudiced.

I used to like him a lot but he has been toeing the line for me. Most recently it was a column aimed towards a virginal 17 year old that was specifically towards fist time anal sex. I get that gay teens need help too, but geez. It was extremely explicit, and the fact it was geared to a minor really squicked me out.

Archived