IGNORED

BayLee and the Bates

apple1

I'm just so bumming. I'm out of wine for this nights performance. I am such a sad old panda :cry:

I have a bottle and a half, I'll share! You even have a choice: Muskadeen or Mascato. I aim to please!

I have a bottle and a half, I'll share! You even have a choice: Muskadeen or Mascato. I aim to please!

TY for your very kind offer pixydust, but I cannot do moscatos or semi sweets. I knocked off two glasses of a great Bordeaux. If I wasn't such a lazy sot I'd walk a block and get another bottle :lol:

TY for your very kind offer pixydust, but I cannot do moscatos or semi sweets. I knocked off two glasses of a great Bordeaux. If I wasn't such a lazy sot I'd walk a block and get another bottle :lol:

Oh, I only do sweet wine. Hey, if you go get more, can you look for a bottle of concord for me? I have a hard time finding it!

Oh, I only do sweet wine. Hey, if you go get more, can you look for a bottle of concord for me? I have a hard time finding it!

They have some highly rated NY concords at the MOC 8-)

She gives so much crap over the Duggars, yet, fails to see that the Bates are the exact replica of the Duggars. They have turned into a money hungry family who believe that Gothard is God and everything he says is gold, etc, etc. She claims that Kelly allows her older girls to "pursue an education and a career" but fails to see that once her daughters get married, they're taught to be housewives/stay at home mothers. How do I know all of this? Because Gothard spews all this bull shit out to his followers and these wackadoodles accept it like it's God who is preaching all of this. Just because they weren't parading around Santorum like the Duggars, they still attended a few of his campaign locations and Kelly even had a post about him being the "only true Conservative." Remember Erin's infamous quote on not attending a public university due to a fear of sitting next to someone with green hair? Yep, I wonder where she learned that from--you know, because anyone with green hair must be evil Satan loving bitches.

Are you still going to claim they are a nice family while refusing to address all the horrible things they do? Because I don't think it will be put to rest till you do.

I think Bill Gothard is a slimy snake oil salesmen, I have no idea why he has any followers whatsoever, and his political influence scares me. Yes, I have read about the effects of his horrible ideas. Having said that...I have also read about pediophile priests, the good nuns at orphanages, how much the Vatican helped the Nazis, and the Spanish Inquisition. So, then is every Catholic a pediophile, a child beater, a torturer, and a Nazi? Mormons originally believed that God directed them to Polygamy, some Mormons still apparently do believe that. Does it then follow that Mitt Romney has 12 year old wives secreted away? If you want to continue beating the same old drum, then go ahead. I don't care. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even me.

I think Bill Gothard is a slimy snake oil salesmen, I have no idea why he has any followers whatsoever, and his political influence scares me. Yes, I have read about the effects of his horrible ideas. Having said that...I have also read about pediophile priests, the good nuns at orphanages, how much the Vatican helped the Nazis, and the Spanish Inquisition. So, then is every Catholic a pediophile, a child beater, a torturer, and a Nazi? Mormons originally believed that God directed them to Polygamy, some Mormons still apparently do believe that. Does it then follow that Mitt Romney has 12 year old wives secreted away? If you want to continue beating the same old drum, then go ahead. I don't care. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even me.

Some Catholic priests are pedophiles but pedophilia is not a belief that the Catholic church preaches. Therefore, it does not follow that all Catholics are pedophiles.

Bill Gothard does preach child abuse, sexism, and a host of other very, very nasty things. The Bates are Gothardites. It tracks that, by following the horrible things Bill Gothard preaches, they are horrible people.

Instead of using pedophilic Catholic priests, a more accurate comparison might be something like NAMBLA. If a person is a member of NAMBLA, it's a safe assumption they're a pedophile. Just like if someone is a Gothardite, it's safe to say they're not nice people.

I think it's important for families caught up in Gothardism and similarly destructive sects to have family, friends, and other contacts who are outside that sphere and who are part of the mainstream society. The worst thing is when they totally isolate themselves.

I just don't get why Bay Lee has to constantly point out her supposed 'friendship' with the Bateses in her posts. Are we supposed to be impressed that she may have spoken with them once or twice at one point? They are not celebrities. They are a side-show novelty. They are about as famous as Ocotmom or Kate Gosselin (well, maybe not). They are Z-list. Unless Bay-lee has some juicy gossip about the Bateses, I don't care to hear about her alleged friendship with them.

Some Catholic priests are pedophiles but pedophilia is not a belief that the Catholic church preaches. Therefore, it does not follow that all Catholics are pedophiles.

Bill Gothard does preach child abuse, sexism, and a host of other very, very nasty things. The Bates are Gothardites. It tracks that, by following the horrible things Bill Gothard preaches, they are horrible people.

Instead of using pedophilic Catholic priests, a more accurate comparison might be something like NAMBLA. If a person is a member of NAMBLA, it's a safe assumption they're a pedophile. Just like if someone is a Gothardite, it's safe to say they're not nice people.

Exactly.

Baylee, what is it that makes the Bates different than the Duggars, who you have no use for? They both pay to be members of a cult that is run by a man(who, by the way can't ever be fired at least Catholic priests can be removed from their position) who sexually molests teen girls, they both are fighting to remove rights away from women and force everyone to live their lifestyle, they both deny their children a real education. The Bates, on top of that, starve their horses and have a KKK leaders picture hanging in their home and can't feed their children without depending on an older son to help out because Gil is too fucking lazy to go look for a real job. So how are they better than the Duggars?

Rhetorical questions... Does a person have to share your beliefs in order for you to be friends with her/him? If so, then how is that any different from rigid fundamentalism? If not, then is there some other line that exists, where once it's crossed then you can no longer be friends with that person? (For example, "I could be friends with a fundie-lite, but not a fundie" or "I'm OK with fundies as long as they don't preach at me too much" or "I was friends with a fundie lady until such-and-such happened.")

Well, yeah and no.

I am a pretty orthodox Trotskyist and many of my friends aren't. But I would not be friends with a fascist or a fundie. I have a fundie lite friend who intelligently thinks through her beliefs. She is still wrong but she can think and is highly intelligent. She is not just spouting lines. I respect her intelligence if not her conclusions.

There's also a gulf fixed (even across the far left) about "come the revolution". I think "These people are lovely but we are on opposite sides. And when it came to the crunch where would we both be?" So I can't trust fully.

Hi Where is the KKK leader picture in their house? Was it shown on one of their specials? and who was the KKK leader?

It's on one wall in the hero room... Some hero! It's a pic of Nathan Bedford Forrest, the originator of the Klan.

When they were criticised for the picture, the Bateses took it down without explanation. I would have liked it if they had simply stated that they had no idea that the man started the KKK. That would have made them seem like people who made an honest mistake and were willing to correct those mistakes. Instead, they took the picture off their site without comment.

When they were criticised for the picture, the Bateses took it down without explanation. I would have liked it if they had simply stated that they had no idea that the man started the KKK. That would have made them seem like people who made an honest mistake and were willing to correct those mistakes. Instead, they took the picture off their site without comment.

I left a comment on their blog asking why they had a picture of the man who started the KKK. Hey presto! A few hours later the picture (on their blog of the picture of NBF) had vanished.

she made a comment recently - I think it was when she was answering for the horses again - about how they did not know about who that man was and that the picture was taken down their walls, and that she believed everyone is a child of god regardless of their race.

she made a comment recently - I think it was when she was answering for the horses again - about how they did not know about who that man was and that the picture was taken down their walls, and that she believed everyone is a child of god regardless of their race.

That's good. However, I wish that everyone who glorified the south's past would realize that there was NOTHING homorable about the south's actions during the civil war or reconstruction. It isn't a time period that anyone should glorify.

Oh Pixydust, you are are my sweet wine soul sister! I'll gladly be your Jewish friend!! I have a love of sweet grapey sparkly wines, and near my place is a Judaica store that sells quite a variety. I'm currently a big fan of something called Vino which is italian, sparkly, sweet and comes in Red and White. Only 8.99 a bottle which is nearly free in the socialized liquor world of PA.

As for friends that are fundy. I have some old friends that have become religious but I think its physical distance and their many kids that really keep us at being more FB friends than "real" friends. The lifestyles are completely different and we just have so little to discuss. I usually feel uninterested in some of their problems and what they want to discuss. Maybe once I have kids it would be an improvement, but who knows...

Has she posted any new pics of the horses? You know, since it was all a big misunderstanding! They had actually rescued them in that shape and they're SO much better off now....

*eta* all the animal rescuers I know make a photo diary of the animals progress... If Kelly wants us to believe they've rescued these horses she needs to post the pics of them. I dare her.

I have pics of a dog I rescued and rehomed. I have pics of the horses I've taken in and 'fixed'. The pics aren't just for bragging rights, anyone could be driving by and see an undernourished horse in your pasture and call the authorities... The pics are proof for the rescuer (along with vet records) that you're improving the animals lot in life.

Archived