IGNORED

ATI Family featured on TV Show "World's Strictest Parents"

holierthanyou

I saw a Quiverfull family on "wifeswap" once. I was so heartbroken for their youngest daughter. She told the new mom that she really wanted to be a doctor and that she didn't want to have kids. When the father found out about that conversation, he took the little girl out of the house and I'm pretty sure he sent her to some kind of reprogramming camp. And the Quiverfull mom staying with the normal family was telling the stay at home dad that his wife had robbed him of his masculinity. It was so effed up.

I saw a Quiverfull family on "wifeswap" once. I was so heartbroken for their youngest daughter. She told the new mom that she really wanted to be a doctor and that she didn't want to have kids. When the father found out about that conversation, he took the little girl out of the house and I'm pretty sure he sent her to some kind of reprogramming camp. And the Quiverfull mom staying with the normal family was telling the stay at home dad that his wife had robbed him of his masculinity. It was so effed up.

Can I get a link?

Sola, sorry I am not in the uk so not sure if Canada is showing the same season now as you or not. Here it airs on a cheap satellite channel called twistTV. Could have been an old re-run even.

It's not on BBC iplayer, but there's loads of episodes on youtube. @ Holierthanyou do you, by any chance, remember the season, and the state, where the episode took place? State aloe would be good. The people who upload them mostly seem to give info about the state/country. Enquiring minds really want to watch this episode. :)

Can I get a link?

I saw that episode of Wife Swap, too. It was the Beckman-Heskett/Childs swap from 2008.

http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/2008/02/13/wife-swap-the-battle-of-the-bible

They were definitely patriarchal and fundamentalist, and given the fact that they had six children, probably Quiverfull as well. I'm not sure I noticed the first time I watched the show, but all the girls in the picture are wearing skirts.

I saw that episode of Wife Swap, too. It was the Beckman-Heskett/Childs swap from 2008.

http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/2008/02/13/wife-swap-the-battle-of-the-bible

They were definitely patriarchal and fundamentalist, and given the fact that they had six children, probably Quiverfull as well. I'm not sure I noticed the first time I watched the show, but all the girls in the picture are wearing skirts.

I remember the Quiverfull husband..he called himself the "gatekeeper". :roll: He was such a pompous asshat :x

There was one wifeswap family where they had I thik 3 boys and 3 girls or 4 boys and 2 girls and they had a switch they kept on the wall to keep the kids in line. I don't know if they were quiverful or not though.

I did a little googling, and I found Columbia Childs (the one who wanted to be a doctor) on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/columbiachilds

Although interestingly, she says that she never wanted to be a doctor and that the show exaggerated things.

She doesn't seem nearly as fundamentalist now. I can't tell whether she lives on her own or is a SAHD, but she appears very in tune with pop culture. She's obsessed with The Hunger Games and mentions plenty of mainstream movies, music, and television. It also seems that she's allowed to travel by herself, so whatever her family is, I don't think they're ATI/Gothard.

There was one wifeswap family where they had I thik 3 boys and 3 girls or 4 boys and 2 girls and they had a switch they kept on the wall to keep the kids in line. I don't know if they were quiverful or not though.

I think it was some kind of leather belt or strap..the family called it "the whacker".

Another one that probably featured a Quiverfull family was the Kraut/Hardin swap from 2006.

http://www.tvrage.com/Wife_Swap/episodes/314728

The Hardins were homeschoolers with eight children. The father refused to allow the kids to take a tour of the local public school and mentioned how important "religious training" was to them. I found the mother (Kathy Hardin) on Facebook, and her page is ultra right-wing.

I did a little googling, and I found Columbia Childs (the one who wanted to be a doctor) on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/columbiachilds

Although interestingly, she says that she never wanted to be a doctor and that the show exaggerated things.

She doesn't seem nearly as fundamentalist now. I can't tell whether she lives on her own or is a SAHD, but she appears very in tune with pop culture. She's obsessed with The Hunger Games and mentions plenty of mainstream movies, music, and television. It also seems that she's allowed to travel by herself, so whatever her family is, I don't think they're ATI/Gothard.

Well I'm glad that she's not as limited as it originally appeared. I may have been incorrect in some of the information I gave because I was speaking from memory. I'm sorry if some of the things I said weren't right.

Also they might not have been ATI/Gothard. They never fully came out and said it so it was just speculation. I noticed the fact that the children were homeschooled, that the parents talked a lot about "training" and "character" and that the mother was teaching her daughters that they were made to serve men.

It's not on BBC iplayer, but there's loads of episodes on youtube. @ Holierthanyou do you, by any chance, remember the season, and the state, where the episode took place? State aloe would be good. The people who upload them mostly seem to give info about the state/country. Enquiring minds really want to watch this episode. :)

I don't know what season it was, but I do know that it was in Arkansas, if that helps.

• 5 months later...

I justed watched ths as a rerun. It was disgusting and pervy the way the dad was staring at the female "guests" legs. Hey old man do you ever think that getting turned on by a child might be your problem?!

I saw that episode a while back, before I knew how bad ATI really was. It didn't seem so odd to me then, but I was pretty heavy into the fundie version of Catholicism at the time. It might be worth a rewatch.

Did they do two episodes at Ft. Rock then? I saw the American version on the CMT website with American teens sent there. Did British teens get sent as well?

Well I'm glad that she's not as limited as it originally appeared. I may have been incorrect in some of the information I gave because I was speaking from memory. I'm sorry if some of the things I said weren't right.

Also they might not have been ATI/Gothard. They never fully came out and said it so it was just speculation. I noticed the fact that the children were homeschooled, that the parents talked a lot about "training" and "character" and that the mother was teaching her daughters that they were made to serve men.

I remember seeing this episode too, before I got much into feminism, turning away from religion, etc, and I definitely remember her wanting to be a doctor and being sent away. It stuck with me.

I remember the Quiverfull husband..he called himself the "gatekeeper". :roll: He was such a pompous asshat :x

I remember that episode. I remember one of the older girls saying her goal in life was to be a "dutiful wife".

Archived