IGNORED

Sample sex-ed curriculum - feel free to comment or snark

2xx1xy1JD

I meant to word it as your parents/school nurse will not judge you. Although I think this cannot be taken for granted many times.

I went to a school nurse and a counselor one time when a school psychologist felt me up and they didn't believe me because "they knew him and he'd never do that." Schools care more about covering their asses than anything, in my experience. So I'dnever go to a school nurse, or anything like that.

I appreciate the clarification. What about masturbation, and girls learning to bring themselves to orgasm, when to you teach that?

It's under the general category of no-risk and lower-risk activities.

It's under the general category of no-risk and lower-risk activities.

My question wasn't 'do you teach that'. My question was when do you teach that.

I went to a school nurse and a counselor one time when a school psychologist felt me up and they didn't believe me because "they knew him and he'd never do that." Schools care more about covering their asses than anything, in my experience. So I'dnever go to a school nurse, or anything like that.

Yes but for some kids it will be the same treatments by parents, that's why I thought of putting some external figure. Maybe then just police or something like that.

(Seriously one of my friend was raped by her uncle, and when he came out of prison, her mom told her to go see him...)

Yes but for some kids it will be the same treatments by parents, that's why I thought of putting some external figure. Maybe then just police or something like that.

(Seriously one of my friend was raped by her uncle, and when he came out of prison, her mom told her to go see him...)

Oh my parents wouldn't have cared so I never bothered to tell them. Some people just don't have any safe person to tell which sucks. I hope I'm not the norm though for things like that.

I hope you're planning to go into detail about methods of birth control because myths about the effectiveness of the pull-out and rhythm method are still pretty rampant.

Also, you might address different issues regarding virginity- how the idea of "popping the cherry" is false. And also how people define virginity differently- eg. oral or anal sex. A lot of teens engage in those with the idea that they would be still technical virgins. Maybe you address the idea of virginity and why it was so important, but it doesn't have to be and it's up to the students to make an informed choice.

A lot of the decision of sexual abuse seems more directed to rape, but you could also talk about coercion and abusive relationships.

There is also, of course, the huge topic of puberty and sexual anatomy.

I think including people like teachers or doctors is fine because it totally depends on the kid/situation, they're just more ideas if something happens, you know? I had a few teachers who I think would have listened and I'm pretty sure some of the girls in my girl scout troop told my mom (the leader) things they didn't tell their parents.

BelieveinScience, I'm sorry that happened to you :( The nurse should not have acted that way.

My old school district fired a teacher last year for sexual harassment so it can be acted upon. I'm not sure whether the situation involved a student or a teacher.

Have you done anything on relationships? I feel very strongly that sex ed should actually be sex and relationships ed. Most teens know that tab A fits into slot B but relationships and how they apply to sex and the possibility of child raising is often a weak spot.

LGBT issues, trans-gender issues, (third gender, genderqueer), asexuality, and that these things can be a continuum. Also that sexuality can be fluid, and change.

ETA and that it is still perfectly possible to get pregnant if you do it standing up . . . sigh.

LGBT issues, trans-gender issues, (third gender, genderqueer), asexuality, and that these things can be a continuum. Also that sexuality can be fluid, and change.

ETA and that it is still perfectly possible to get pregnant if you do it standing up . . . sigh.

Thank you so much Artemis, my brain was lapsing into hetero centric sex ed. I love it when I get reminders from the Hive.

Thank you so much Artemis, my brain was lapsing into hetero centric sex ed. I love it when I get reminders from the Hive.

I can't afford to forget because I have to stand up for the people like my sister, who spent too many years not able to tell anyone. ((Thanks for the thanks)) :)

I can't afford to forget because I have to stand up for the people like my sister, who spent too many years not able to tell anyone. ((Thanks for the thanks)) :)

I'm a bi sexual, and my brain gets stuck in a hetero dominant culture, its almost like lapsing into nonthinking.

I'm going to side with the group who thinks the "no secrets" part needs changing. I have a few reasons, the foremost one being that not all parents are safe adults. Maybe something more like "Just because someone else say it has to be a secret doesn't mean it has to be a secret and if you can't tell your parents find another trusted adult."

The second issue I see is that like many other sex-ed courses it makes it sound like there is one chance to speak to someone. There should be a part that says something along the lines of "if you tell an adult that someone is hurting you and they don't believe you, find another trusted adult and tell them. You don't have to rely on just that one adult/teacher/councilor/doctor you are allowed to find someone who believes you and will help."

The third issue is just a simple idea, which is that teenagers do have things that are not dangerous, or harmful, that they just don't feel they need/want to share with the adults in their life. I had plenty of things I didn't tell my parents, all of them were benign I just didn't feel like they should know.

I'm going to side with the group who thinks the "no secrets" part needs changing. I have a few reasons, the foremost one being that not all parents are safe adults. Maybe something more like "Just because someone else say it has to be a secret doesn't mean it has to be a secret and if you can't tell your parents find another trusted adult."

The second issue I see is that like many other sex-ed courses it makes it sound like there is one chance to speak to someone. There should be a part that says something along the lines of "if you tell an adult that someone is hurting you and they don't believe you, find another trusted adult and tell them. You don't have to rely on just that one adult/teacher/councilor/doctor you are allowed to find someone who believes you and will help."

The third issue is just a simple idea, which is that teenagers do have things that are not dangerous, or harmful, that they just don't feel they need/want to share with the adults in their life. I had plenty of things I didn't tell my parents, all of them were benign I just didn't feel like they should know.

I think what you've suggested is very sensible, including the third point. I got my first vibrator at 16 - not dangerous, harmful, and I had no desire to share that with any adult in my life :lol:

It may sound like I'm sympathizing with the devil, but I think it's worth it to emphasize that it's OK for kids *not* to have sex.

Not because they owe their virginity to God or their future spouse, but because their bodies are exclusively theirs and not having sex is also a valid choice.

Basically have sex for the right reasons--because they actually want to, not because it's a right of passage or they feel immature because they're a virgin (by whatever definition) or someone has pressured them into it.

Also, it would be good to include some discussion about non-physical forms of relationship abuse.

It may sound like I'm sympathizing with the devil, but I think it's worth it to emphasize that it's OK for kids *not* to have sex.

Not because they owe their virginity to God or their future spouse, but because their bodies are exclusively theirs and not having sex is also a valid choice.

This. And perhaps a discussion on sex in the media. It seems like no matter what show you watch, sex is sometimes treated as something frivolous, when, in my opinion, it's not.

I just wanted to pop by and say that I think it's fantastic that you not only included consent, but made it the very first point.

Archived