IGNORED

Hate the word MEEK.

fundies_like_zombies

Hate it!!! :evil:

meek sounds like a dog that has been punished soooooo much that it has no spirit.

Meek doesn't bother me because I always think in Biblical context to mean humility, that people should humble themselves and need to humble themselves. However, I hate it when it's referenced toward women only. That women are to be "meek and mild", but not men. That's not what the Bible says so for those who follow it and pretend only women are to be humble need to take their heads out of their asses. None of the fundies we speak of here have any real humility at all anyway so it's beside the point. Humility is the quality of being modest or respectful and modest does not mean dress in this case. Being modest means not drawing attention to your own achievements or abilites. Aka-not being a show-off. Funny that my dictionary also says modest means not being extreme or excessive as well. Our fundies often fail at that. ;)

Meek doesn't bother me because I always think in Biblical context to mean humility, that people should humble themselves and need to humble themselves. However, I hate it when it's referenced toward women only. That women are to be "meek and mild", but not men. That's not what the Bible says so for those who follow it and pretend only women are to be humble need to take their heads out of their asses. None of the fundies we speak of here have any real humility at all anyway so it's beside the point. Humility is the quality of being modest or respectful and modest does not mean dress in this case. Being modest means not drawing attention to your own achievements or abilites. Aka-not being a show-off. Funny that my dictionary also says modest means not being extreme or excessive as well. Our fundies often fail at that. ;)

But if women are supposed to be "meek" and the "meek inherit the earth".....

O_o

But if women are supposed to be "meek" and the "meek inherit the earth".....

O_o

I do believe Jurrasic Park mention something about women inheriting the earth...

"Meekness isn't weakness. It is a kind of strength! It is trusting in God and His plans and turning to Him and His wisdom in times of need."

"Most people think "meek" means "mousy". They picture a timid little person saying "sorry" every other minute, and generally trying to keep out of the way."

Fundies don't get that shouting about their lives and putting up photos of themselves looking "modest" isn't modest or meek really.

When I was young I always thought meek was just a variant on weak, because they sound the same.

Whether it means humble, timid or simply weak, I don't see how a group that is disproportionately politically powerful and wants to legislate their beliefs expects it to apply to them.

Meekness means to be gentle, humble, and unassuming (among other things).

Both Jesus and Moses are described in the Bible as having been meek (in Numbers 12:3 and Matthew 11:29 respectively), and a variation of meekness is required of anyone who would take up a leadership position in the Christian church (1 Timothy 3:2-3).

Women are instructed to have meek and quiet spirits (1 Peter 3:4), but Matthew Henry wrote about how that edict also applies to men since these attributes are 'precious in the sight of God.'

After all, it is the meek who will inherit the Earth. (Matthew 5:5)

In short, the meek are active and even capable of displaying anger (as Jesus is recorded as having done when whipping the money-changers), but they cultivate a peaceable nature.

So I'll have to respectfully disagree with you; I think "meek" is a great word.

If all the political candidates running today - and especially for the GOP) - were tested by the standards set out for church eldership, almost all of them would fail.

I do believe Jurrasic Park mention something about women inheriting the earth...

Yep! In reference to dinosaurs being female. I believe it's:

"God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates Man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs..."

"...Dinosaurs eat Man... Woman inherits the Earth."

"Blessed are the who?"

"Blessed are the Greek!"

"Well, what makes THEM so special?"

It was really a transcription error. There's not anything special about the Meek. Sheesh.

In the second episode of this season's Celebrity Apprentice, Paul Teutul (of the Orange County Chopper Teutuls) called George Takei "meek" and Trump promptly corrected him. Most of the time Trump lets the celebs go after one another, but calling an activist like Takei meek wasn't cool with him.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s79/the-ce ... -meek.html

“Blessed are the meek, for to them we shall say "attaboy".â€

(From Chrisopher Moore's _Lamb_. Which also includes “This story is not and never was meant to challenge anyone's faith; however, if one's faith can be shaken by stories in a humorous novel, one may have a bit more praying to do.†)

"Oh, it's blessed are the MEEK! Oh, I'm glad they're getting something, they have a hell of a time."

+1

Archived