IGNORED

The Dangers of Wearing Sandals/FLip Flops

Knight of Ni

I'm thinking that quoted poster is semi-trolling. :roll:

This has gotten kind of ridiculous. Like anything, there is the matter of appropriateness to the situation. Absolutely no argument from me on wearing shoes appropriate to the situation or activity.

Otherwise (no different from the fundies), it's just trying to legislate one's personal preferences on to others as requirements.

Oh, and to whomever said that fundies (or Duggars?) think flip flops are godly - really? Not. None of them have ever, to my knowledge, indicated any thoughts of flip flops being gody footwear. They're just cheap (that is, the kind they wear), convenient, and probably generic enough that they might make it even worse by interchanging them.

I just don't understand why they didn't agree to wearing real shoes in the jungle - I thought it was some kind of stupid modesty rule.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I wore ballet flats I wore flipflops. Before I wore those I wore Converse chucks (I'm talking elementary school) and Keds. I wear Ugg-type boots in the winter.

In short, I've basically always worn shoes with almost entirely flat bottoms. I'm almost 30 and thus far I've never had any problems. Maybe I'm freakish, or maybe I'd have super-strong knees that would allow me to jump over buildings if I hadn't grown up this way, but there it is.

But then, shouldn't all the boys be wearing robes?

Isn't that one of the times when they will say 'but we're free from the law'.

I think if you are exercising, doing something stressful on your feet, or have a history of orthopedic problems, then you need arch support. For the average person, probably not. Doctors recommend bare feet or those leather Robeez slippers for new walkers now, not the white semi-high-top shoes that were recommended for my oldest son. They are approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association despite/because of the simple flat leather sole.

I know this is total anecdata, but I have no orthopedic or back problems related to my lack of supportive footwear, neither do my parents or grandparents (the hatred of supportive shoes runs in my family). I think flip-flops might be better than the cheap, worn-out shoes that the Duggars would otherwise buy their kids.

I cannot wear flip flops. I just can't stand the feeling of the strap between my toes.

I did have a pair of Born sandals with a toe ring and a strap across the instep a few years ago. I wore them when I was helping my daughter move into her college dorm. Stubbed my little toe on a chair. It was sticking out at a 45 degree angle. Needed surgery and a pin to fix it. Tossed out those sandals.

I live in the desert, so sandals are a must in the hot months. Now I look for ones with straps that cover most of my toes, for protection. I got these the other day:http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Rosebud-T-Strap-Sandal/dp/B005A3DLE4

Super comfortable, and my toes are protected.

Of course, if I'm hiking or doing heavy work, I wear closed toe shoes. I've learned my lesson.

My daughter loves flip flops. She has a wide foot, and wears the Olukai ones mentioned upthread. They actually have arch support, and are much better than the cheap $2-$3 ones.

As to the person who asked why don't we look where we are going-

I was when I sprained my ankle very badly. However, I didn't see that where I was putting my foot down was over 3 inches shorter than I anticipated it because the homeowner had not cut the grass and it was covering the step down. I now owe several THOUSAND dollars to the hospital I was rushed to because they didn't have homeowners insurance and mine is refusing to cover it. Nice huh?

I cannot wear flip flops. I just can't stand the feeling of the strap between my toes.

I did have a pair of Born sandals with a toe ring and a strap across the instep a few years ago. I wore them when I was helping my daughter move into her college dorm. Stubbed my little toe on a chair. It was sticking out at a 45 degree angle. Needed surgery and a pin to fix it. Tossed out those sandals.

I live in the desert, so sandals are a must in the hot months. Now I look for ones with straps that cover most of my toes, for protection. I got these the other day:http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Rosebud-T-Strap-Sandal/dp/B005A3DLE4

Super comfortable, and my toes are protected.

Of course, if I'm hiking or doing heavy work, I wear closed toe shoes. I've learned my lesson.

My daughter loves flip flops. She has a wide foot, and wears the Olukai ones mentioned upthread. They actually have arch support, and are much better than the cheap $2-$3 ones.

Random thought: a few years back in Vegas I noticed no one wore flip-flops anymore; it was all gladiator sandals. Not sure what it is today.

I'm flat footed and I live in my Chacos in the summer. They're waterproof and can be dressed up or down. I bought mine seven years ago and they're still in awesome shape! Plus, I've heard that you can send your Chacos in and the company will replace the straps/soles. Not sure if that's true but if it is, you'll never need to buy another pair!

http://www.chacos.com/US/en/Women-Styles-Sandals

I had a problem with my Chacos about six months after I bought them, the company sent me a call tag, and returned them in two weeks with info about service, yes they will replace straps for a minimum fee. I too have arch problems and my Chacos are a better choice than Tevas.

Wow, I had no idea there was so much flip flop hate! Where I'm from, if you're not doing major physical activity in the summer, you wear flip flops or sandals; when I was a camp counselor I wore a pair of old Chucks (we did a lot of paint-y activities), and my kids had to wear closed-toe shoes, but outside of my work hours, I was nearly always in flip flops or sandals. I don't hike much, or build houses, or work in a lab, so the second I can, I ditch my usual loafers and converse for flip flops.

That said, I only wear cheapo flip flops when I shower in my dorm; I am a devoted Reef fan, since their footbeds are sculpted and they have a hard rubber sole with a foam top, as well as fabric thongs, as opposed to rubber. That makes them more expensive (I think my pair was $28), but I've worn them for three summers now, and they are seriously almost like new. In terms of sandals, you can pry my Bare Traps off my feet when I'm dead. I prefer them to birkies, but they still look DAMN crunchy lol.

There is a time and place for all footwear, I agree, but I also love at my college, in the spring and early fall, when it's still wicked warm, it's permissable and socially accepted to go everywhere barefoot, except for the dining hall/cafe and science labs. I go barefoot to class sometimes in spring, but I usually bring my flip flops with me, just in case, and I watch where I step. The pleasure of walking barefoot in spring grass still damp with dew can't be beat, in my opinion.

Not a fan of gladiator sandals- glad to see the trend is dying. I still see a lot of flip flops, but I don't go to the Strip very often.

Most locals don't frequent the Strip often unless they work there- it's pretty expensive. We usually go out to one of the restaurants once or twice a year, and of course if we have visitors we'll show them around. The shows are incredibly expensive too. I've only been to 5 shows in the 10 years I've lived here.

I like sandals (not gladiator ones though) but I also don't like flip flops because of the feeling of the strip between my toes. I wear them on the beach sometimes but prefer sandals.

Except that all the evidence (at least, that I've seen) shows that arch support in most cases is not only unnecessary, but it also may cause the very problems that require arch support by keeping the muscles in our feet from exercising and getting strong enough to support the arch in our feet. (Yes, that parses, barely.)

Humans have only had fancy shoes with arch support for a tiny amount of time. Heck, most of humanity habitually went barefoot for most of our evolution. And yet now we're supposed to believe our feet are so weak they need props to walk?

(Okay, I admit it, I go barefoot most of the time!)

But barefoot isn't the same as flip flops. FFs don't give your feet much flexion or allow your toes to engage. They put your feel in a very unnatual position.

But barefoot isn't the same as flip flops. FFs don't give your feet much flexion or allow your toes to engage. They put your feet in a very unnatual position.

Ah, I see. I thought you were going "PEOPLE TOTALLY NEED ARCH SUPPORT AT ALL TIMES".

Oh, you're preaching to the choir - I'm just used to people contorting their faces when I sing the praises of crocs. My first, more "traditional" pair for the beach looks like this (in black): http://www.crocs.com/crocs-shayna/11212 ... wear-flats and I am telling you, they are the comfiest shoes known to man. Then I bought a pair of these, also in black: http://www.crocs.com/crocs-alice-work/1 ... wear-flats and while they are also super-comfortable, I have to give more points to the slightly-uglier ones for comfort. Plus, since the first pair has holes they're the ones I wear for beach, etc.

I love my Alice model Crocs. I've gotten a lot of, "those are Crocs?". I've had them for years and they're only just starting to wear through.

Archived