IGNORED

The Dangers of Wearing Sandals/FLip Flops

Knight of Ni

My children have inherited my hatred of closed-toed shoes. We are flip-flop-aholics and my doctor has never said anything... but then whenever I run into him at Target or the farmer's market, he and his kids are in flip-flops. :lol: I live in an area in which flip-flops are the main choice in warm weather footwear, they can be worn to school during hot spells, etc.

I don't let them play sports in flip-flops and I would definitely not let them hike or be around large animals in them. Common sense, it is not a bad thing. Also, I won't buy the taller ones for my girls. I see no point except to add to their sex appeal, and this is just not what I look for in footwear for a 9 yo and 4 yo.

Seriously? I admit, this sort of blows my mind. I was in middle school and high school last time platforms were in style (they kind of go hand in hand with wide-legged jeans) and I had platform sandals, platform sneakers... I wore them because they were the best shoes for the flared pants and because it's fun to be taller. Also, I hate high-heeled shoes, and platforms are all one level, so it's easy to be stable in them. Never, never did I think of sex appeal. And I don't think that's the intended purpose of platform flip-flops, to be honest.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My son jacked his feet/ankles up so bad when he was 6/7 yrs old from those $3 flip flops. Thanks to cheap ass shoes he now can only wear things like crocs, keens, timberlands, new balance etc. He is all of 11 yrs old and has major foot/ankle/shin issues.

*I have massive mommy guilt.

When I hear new mommy's complaining that 'stride rites' are too expensive and they are just going to get 'used shoes' for the toddler I cringe and want to scream at them. My kiddo always had new shoes and usually very good shoes but long hot summers and endless flip flops have caused long term issues around here.

Lesson learned: spend the $$ on good shoes.

Exactly, and you don't have to buy a gazillion pair! But yeah, I love Stride Rite sandals on my daughter. Pricey, but there's no price on our health right? (Also, expensive? I never buy shoes until they are on sale, and you can find good deals if you know how to work those sales! You just have to buy ahead. LOL)

Doesn't anyone in this thread ever watch where they walk?

Also, all the people who walk around barefoot most of the time, but worry about the shape of the soles of their shoes?

Doesn't make any sense to me. A flat shoe is the same as pavement on the foot.

I can't see what is under leaves and pine needles, no x-ray vision here.

I hate flip-flops. I am way too clumsy to wear them in even the nicest weather. AND I don't like seeing other people's feet. Like, I understand if you're going to the beach or you're wearing them just visiting good friends or something but.....people who wear them on buses? In stores? In places where we eat? Come on.

people who wear them on buses? In stores? In places where we eat? Come on.

Are these people putting their feet in your food or something? If not, why does it matter if it's a "place where you eat"?

Also, all the people who walk around barefoot most of the time, but worry about the shape of the soles of their shoes?

Doesn't make any sense to me. A flat shoe is the same as pavement on the foot.

Nope. :whistle:

Are these people putting their feet in your food or something? If not, why does it matter if it's a "place where you eat"?

Like I said, I think feet are gross. There is a reason for "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service"! Flip-flops should be restricted too. Just my opinion. :shock: :roll:

There are flip flops and then there are flip flops. And there are appropriate and inappropriate places to wear even good flip flops.

Aside: My flip flip choice is Olukai. I was introduced to them in a Comfort One Shoes store while on a 4-day long weekend "vacation" and my feet were blistered from the "proper" shoes I had on. These have a molded footbed that position the foot similar to the Birkenstock footbed. (A whole different thing than $2 or $3 cheapie flip flops).

I've seen the ones that look like Birkenstocks before. I'm looking at the Olukai brand and those are fairly expensive although they're really nice. I can see why girls and young women would be likely to buy the 10 dollar knock-offs at Ardene's or Claire's that are overly cutesy but provide zero support. You're further off to walk barefoot than wear those.

Having grown up with a spinal deformity that messed up the way I walk as well as collapsed arches, flip flops are literally torture for me. I'm technically not supposed to really be barefoot ever. I worry about the Duggar girls because flip flops can mess up your back something fierce. Not only are they dangerous in the short term (making you very vulnerable to accidents), they're detrimental to your health. TLC should spring for some sneakers or something

On a side note, how modest are flip flops? That's a lot of skin showing..... ;)

I have flat feet and I love my Merrells.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Women-Foot ... ndals-Land

Bought a pair on the first day of vacation at the beach 2010 and wore them the rest of the time. When it's warm out, just about all I wear and they are so comfortable. Only problems I've had are for reasons not related to the shoe specifically but getting teeny stones or something under my foot that I don't take the time to get out until it really hurts. LOL I want at least one more pair this summer. They are worth every penny and then some!

I'm flat footed and I live in my Chacos in the summer. They're waterproof and can be dressed up or down. I bought mine seven years ago and they're still in awesome shape! Plus, I've heard that you can send your Chacos in and the company will replace the straps/soles. Not sure if that's true but if it is, you'll never need to buy another pair!

http://www.chacos.com/US/en/Women-Styles-Sandals

Not really. Not to sound like a manic pixie girl cliche (or Zooey Deschanel) but I'm pretty clumsy. I regularly clip walls and doorframes with my shoulder or side - in my own house that I've lived in for years. :shock:

Before the Toe Incident, my sig other had been whining for ages about how flipflops weren't practical footwear, especially because where I lived had tiles that got incredibly slick in the rain (and it rained regularly). I nearly fell countless times. So the Toe Incident was more fodder. Maybe that's really why I persisted in wearing flipflops after: I'm stubborn and like to do things in my own time. Totally not accepting my headship's counsel, I suppose.

Like I said, I think feet are gross. There is a reason for "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service"! Flip-flops should be restricted too. Just my opinion. :shock: :roll:

And if somebody thought hands were gross and should remain gloved, or women's faces were gross and should remain veiled, would we all be expected to let "just your" opinion slide?

And if somebody thought hands were gross and should remain gloved, or women's faces were gross and should remain veiled, would we all be expected to let "just your" opinion slide?

I'm thinking that quoted poster is semi-trolling. :roll:

This has gotten kind of ridiculous. Like anything, there is the matter of appropriateness to the situation. Absolutely no argument from me on wearing shoes appropriate to the situation or activity.

Otherwise (no different from the fundies), it's just trying to legislate one's personal preferences on to others as requirements.

Oh, and to whomever said that fundies (or Duggars?) think flip flops are godly - really? Not. None of them have ever, to my knowledge, indicated any thoughts of flip flops being gody footwear. They're just cheap (that is, the kind they wear), convenient, and probably generic enough that they might make it even worse by interchanging them.

Wait - you think I'm semi-trolling or she is? I'm pretty sure I'm not, and I doubt she is either, though I don't actually remember names well from one post to another so... yeah.

At any rate, your personal squick does not mean you get to say "No flip-flops for you!" except where it's a matter of safety (no flip-flops in construction zones or when hiking, thanks) OR where you own the establishment in question. By all means, you can set the dress code for your own restaurant. Make everybody come in bathing suits and flippers for all I care. But if you're that caught up in concern about my footwear when my feet are under a table nowhere near you, I feel fine in saying "Get a life".

I love crocs and I don't even care. They are great for the beach! You can just rinse them in the sea.

Personally I'd be barefoot 24/7 if I could though.

Not all crocs are ugly! I own a pair that looks like this (http://www.crocs.com/crocs-cleo/10043,d ... ar-sandals) only mine have a strap connecting the two bands. I get SO many compliments on them and they are SO comfy.

Wait - you think I'm semi-trolling or she is? I'm pretty sure I'm not, and I doubt she is either, though I don't actually remember names well from one post to another so... yeah.

Not you. The poster you quoted. But I could be wrong; I have been wrong before. I just find it hard to believe that someone - for real - thinks it is wrong to have toes exposed - that would apply to sandals or any open-toed shoe - because toes are "gross". (Has that person ever heard of a pedicure?)

The idea that feet are gross is actually not THAT uncommon, although I concur that it's a bit goofy. That's probably why the myth that there are widespread health department regulations* against bare feet in stores in restaurants is so common.

But thanks for clearing that up :) Sometimes it's hard to know how to respond to people.

* Just write to your health department and ask! If you get a reply stating that there ARE laws against it, post it here. I'll be surprised!

When I was in general chemistry lab, I saw a girl wearing sandals drop a beaker containing concentrated acid on the floor. She got acid on her feet. The blisters were so bad that she needed to go to the ER. The schools policy was to wear closed toe shoes in the lab but the TA did not notice the sandals.

When I was a TA, I made my students go back to their dorm and get closed toe shoes if they came in sandals.

Not all crocs are ugly! I own a pair that looks like this (http://www.crocs.com/crocs-cleo/10043,d ... ar-sandals) only mine have a strap connecting the two bands. I get SO many compliments on them and they are SO comfy.

Oh, you're preaching to the choir - I'm just used to people contorting their faces when I sing the praises of crocs. My first, more "traditional" pair for the beach looks like this (in black): http://www.crocs.com/crocs-shayna/11212 ... wear-flats and I am telling you, they are the comfiest shoes known to man. Then I bought a pair of these, also in black: http://www.crocs.com/crocs-alice-work/1 ... wear-flats and while they are also super-comfortable, I have to give more points to the slightly-uglier ones for comfort. Plus, since the first pair has holes they're the ones I wear for beach, etc.

The dangers to one's feet and back due to the lack of arch support in flip flops should turn anyone off wearing them, although that doesn't seem to be the cast.

Every pair of sandals I own have some form of arch support - even if it's just a small wedge. I also don't wear ballet flats for the same reason.

I'm going on a National Parks tour later this spring and even though the hikes won't be terribly strenuous, they require participants to have hiking boots!

Except that all the evidence (at least, that I've seen) shows that arch support in most cases is not only unnecessary, but it also may cause the very problems that require arch support by keeping the muscles in our feet from exercising and getting strong enough to support the arch in our feet. (Yes, that parses, barely.)

Humans have only had fancy shoes with arch support for a tiny amount of time. Heck, most of humanity habitually went barefoot for most of our evolution. And yet now we're supposed to believe our feet are so weak they need props to walk?

(Okay, I admit it, I go barefoot most of the time!)

Archived