IGNORED

The Dangers of Wearing Sandals/FLip Flops

Knight of Ni

I have knee problems from an old injury, when my doctor saw me waltz into his office in flip flops, he almost had a heart attack and asked me if I really want a new knee by the time I'm 40. :shock: Now, the only time I wear flip flops is when I go swimming. I figure the short walk from the showers to the pool and back won't hurt. I do live in my Birkenstocks in the summer, though.

Doctors have prejudices, too. (And I admit flip flips are not for everyone).

There are flip flops and then there are flip flops. And there are appropriate and inappropriate places to wear even good flip flops.

Aside: My flip flip choice is Olukai. I was introduced to them in a Comfort One Shoes store while on a 4-day long weekend "vacation" and my feet were blistered from the "proper" shoes I had on. These have a molded footbed that position the foot similar to the Birkenstock footbed. (A whole different thing than $2 or $3 cheapie flip flops).

Aside number 2 (really off topic, but... in case it helps anyone) Did you know that spraying your feet with spray deodorant before putting on your socks and shoes really does help prevent blisters? (I didn't know this until about a year ago).

My other 2 usual shoe choices are Birkenstock (that's what I wear to work most of the time; our dress code is closed toe shoes; I have tried other things and not cared for them) and Keen (for times when a sandal, but not flip flops is appropriate; I also wear these with wool socks in cool weather).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love flip-flops, but there is a time and a place. I can't wear open-toed shoes to work, and it's cold here most of the year (except for the past couple of weeks, oddly) so my window of opportunity to wear them is limited. And if you're hiking in them, doing yard work, construction . . . you're asking for trouble. Put on some damn boots.

And as an aside, you cannot "buy used and save the difference" when it comes to kids' shoes. I used to work in kids' shoes and there are a million and one reasons - chief among them is that each child wears the sole down differently, so if you put a kid in a pair of used shoes, he/she will start to pronate the same way as the kid who wore them first.

It's completely ridiculous that they wore flip-flops hiking where they did. I think of ticks, snakes, mosquitoes, other poisonous bugs. Their guide should have insisted they not be allowed to wear them. They're a liability by doing that and plain ignorant/dumb for doing so. If they did not pack any tennis shoes and socks, they aren't very bright. I mean, they live in AR. They should know better, but it's obviously they didn't and no one made them learn.

It is for that very reason I don't like wearing shoes without toe covers. When I was a teenager, I had a cactus thorn go through a show I was wearing (leather toe) and deep into my big toe). I was home alone, and had to get a pair of pliers out of my dads toolbox and pull the damn thing out myself. Can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing track shoes and had been wearing flip flops instead.

Bout ten years ago I lost half a toenail wearing flipflops. I was just walking out of a building, pushed open a door, and it just barely brushed over my toe and took some with it. It grew back, but oh boy was that horrific.

I still wore flipflops for a year or two more, because... it was what everyone wore in my area at the time and I was young. Nowadays I stick to ballet flats.

That happened to my older daughter a few years ago. Poor kid! Where we live, though, sandals & flip flops are a must in the summer. I don't even buy socks for summer outfits. I don't let them wear flip flops out to play.

It is just stupidity to wear flip-flops whilst trekking through a jungle, plain and simple. Flip-flops are for wearing around a swimming pool, the beach or, plainly, NOT for hiking. Where on earth are they basing this idea on that they are more holy than other footwear?

Flip flops are a PITA when doing VBS. The kids all take their shoes off and run around barefoot. My kids I always make them keep their shoes on when at church. One little guy got a stray staple stuck way into his foot. His mother had to come take him to the ER to have it removed. I tried to have a shoe policy put in place for safety. The next day a kid was outside without shoes at VBS and broke his toe. Still the pile of flip flops and foot injuries continue.

Not to mention sweaty feet and no socks in shoes in the summer - some of those feet got pretty smelly.

The school my son goes to has a no flip flop\croc policy and if kids wear flats\sandals they have to keep them on at all times.

I do pointe so the thought of hurting a toe in flip-flops doesn't scare me too much. I'm used to toe pain. I did have a pretty nasty fall down some concrete steps outside a hotel last summer, but I think that was more due to the darkness of the stairwell than the cheap-ass flip-flops I had on. Sprained my ankle. :( Great way to end a beach vacation!

I admit that I practically live in flip flops during the summer. When the temperature is above 90 on a regular basis it's hard to where shoes everyday. I do wear closed toed shoes often now since I work in a lab most days but on days I don't have to be in lab I where flip flops. However, if I will be walking for a long length of time I wear good shoes. I am flat footed so walking a lot in flip flops can really hurt my joints. (Often all the way to my neck). I would never hike in flip flops.

Off topic but can anyone recommend a good pair of sandals that provide necessary support for someone who is flat footed?

I wanted to chant tetanus while watching them around farm animals in flip flops then if they hurt their feet...

Heck, I wear more appropriate shoes and still make sure my tetanus is up to date. (and nails and such can go through all but the most sturdy shoes, but why wear the ones that they are definately going to go through when you're doing anything but walking on pavement?)

My property has all kinds of stuff hidden in the dirt- it's rural, in a decent neighborhood of one acre plus lots- but the last two owners were contractors and had kids that left stuff all over outside, that then got covered by oak leaves and pine needles. I keep finding all sorts of stuff, and have found three naked barbies and two skateboards along with the nails and glass.

I don't wear flip-flops. They're so uncomfortable, and I can barely walk in them. My feet are shaped kind of weird too, so the fucking things don't even stay on half the time. I have no idea why anyone loves them so much, people at my college don't wear any other type of shoe (except Uggs in the winter). I had a pair of flip-flops last semester, but I only ever wore them inside and/or if it was raining outside. If it was raining, I'd walk to wherever I was going barefoot, then put on the flip-flops when I got inside. Except for that one time last semester I ran barefoot through a thunderstorm to get to a class, and dropped one of my flipflops. Nobody made a big deal of me walking around the building without shoes, fortunately, but the carpet was painful on my already-blistered feet.

For me, it's either barefoot, running shoes, or boots. I don't even have foot problems, those are the only ones that are really comfortable and that I can walk around in.

I hate flip flops. I'm a fallen-arched pronator with toes (and fingers) that did not finish developing in utero - I was a preemie. I can't hold the damn thigs on with my toes since they're undersized, albeit double-jointed. I walk over VERY hilly terrain on a daily basis. Dansko sandals are my shoe of choice on non-rainy, warmish (and above) days.

u

As for flip-flop horror stories, I may have the winner. I was scheduled to have my cut/color appt. this coming Wednesday when I received a call from my stylist about 10 days ago. We had a terrible storm (the only one all winter, actually) that lasted about a week. Got about 5 inches of rain and moss popped up EVERYWHERE. Since it hadn't rained, she hadn't power-washed the steps and porch and paid dearly. Her dog got loose and ran out into the court, which leads to a street where speeds of 40 are commonplace if you hit the lights just right. She's indoors in her flip flops and runs out to grab the dog. It's wet, the steps are slippery with the new moss and she goes KABOOM! Fractures BOTH forearms trying to break her fall. We're hoping to be able to get my hair done mid-Aprilish.

But there ya go. If I didn't already have reasons why I can't wear flip-flops, after hearing Jill's story, I'd have one.

Guest Anonymous

Naked feet are a major turn on for foot fetish nuts and just regular male perverts. Jim Bob is whoring his daughters but not as badly as when they used to wear those animal print fur hooker jackets. :naughty:

Heck, I wear more appropriate shoes and still make sure my tetanus is up to date. (and nails and such can go through all but the most sturdy shoes, but why wear the ones that they are definately going to go through when you're doing anything but walking on pavement?)

My property has all kinds of stuff hidden in the dirt- it's rural, in a decent neighborhood of one acre plus lots- but the last two owners were contractors and had kids that left stuff all over outside, that then got covered by oak leaves and pine needles. I keep finding all sorts of stuff, and have found three naked barbies and two skateboards along with the nails and glass.

Puncture wounds are the worst because of no oxygen but yeah I got my tetanus updated.

I've seen what happens when a horse steps on someone in flip flops, never care to see an injury like that again. My DD had a horse stand on her foot in her riding boots and she sure was glad she was wearing them! I would never go near livestock without proper footwear too mnay htings can happen-hooves are sharp!

I like flip flops and sandals, but there's a time and place for flip flops, especially the cheapest ones. I need shoes with arch support, so I really can't wear flip flops for very long, especially if I think I might do a lot of walking. There are plenty of sandals that do provide me with enough arch support that I can walk for a long time in them, but there are still times when closed toed shoes are more appropriate. I only have the cheapest flip flops to use as shower and pool shoes at the gym, or when the pavement is too hot to walk around barefoot.

I still make sure my tetanus shot is kept up to date even when wearing appropriate shoes, since there's still a chance one could get cut or punctured from something rusty even while wearing appropriate shoes. My dad once cut a finger while using a rusty saw, and had to get a tetanus booster since he was almost due one anyway. The cut wasn't bad enough to need stitches, but since it was on something that was rusty, he needed that booster.

Off topic but can anyone recommend a good pair of sandals that provide necessary support for someone who is flat footed?

I have flat feet and I love my Merrells.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Women-Foot ... ndals-Land

Bought a pair on the first day of vacation at the beach 2010 and wore them the rest of the time. When it's warm out, just about all I wear and they are so comfortable. Only problems I've had are for reasons not related to the shoe specifically but getting teeny stones or something under my foot that I don't take the time to get out until it really hurts. LOL I want at least one more pair this summer. They are worth every penny and then some!

The only time I wear flip flops is at home. I would never wear flip flops while hiking or certain outdoor situations. I'm surprised the Duggars girls weren't tossed out of that Habitat for Humanity site in that one episode in which they did volunteer work. My boyfriend watched the episode in which Joy rock climbed in flip flops and he cringed while watching the show.

We tell the pointe dancers in our school to be very careful about wearing flip flops, especially the ones with the thicker bottoms. Those types tend to be very hard on their achilles tendons. Also, all it would take is one teeny tiny slip off the sole to ruin their dance year.

Wearing flip flops around a construction site is extremely stupid. I don't know how anyone could possibly think that it's a good idea.

I'd never really thought about needing to wear shoes while working in the kitchen but when I was a freshman a guy in the fencing club dropped a large knife (large enough to cut a cantaloupe) on his foot. Cut it pretty bad and IIRC almost damaged a tendon. That would have ended his fencing career and at that time he was trying to find fencing scholarships for college. He ended up not receiving one but that accident would have eliminated any chance he had.

The only time I wear flip flops is at home. I would never wear flip flops while hiking or certain outdoor situations. I'm surprised the Duggars girls weren't tossed out of that Habitat for Humanity site in that one episode in which they did volunteer work. My boyfriend watched the episode in which Joy rock climbed in flip flops and he cringed while watching the show.

I pound nails with our local Habitat, we are not permitted to wear open toed shoes.

I pound nails with our local Habitat, we are not permitted to wear open toed shoes.

My brother volunteered for Habitat years ago and he mentioned the same thing about open toed shoes.

My children have inherited my hatred of closed-toed shoes. We are flip-flop-aholics and my doctor has never said anything... but then whenever I run into him at Target or the farmer's market, he and his kids are in flip-flops. :lol: I live in an area in which flip-flops are the main choice in warm weather footwear, they can be worn to school during hot spells, etc.

I don't let them play sports in flip-flops and I would definitely not let them hike or be around large animals in them. Common sense, it is not a bad thing. Also, I won't buy the taller ones for my girls. I see no point except to add to their sex appeal, and this is just not what I look for in footwear for a 9 yo and 4 yo.

I wasn't allowed to wear open-toed shoes when I worked at Claire's in case something fell on our feet (as well it as not looking professional).

Archived