IGNORED

Maxwell's managers of their homes

sableduck

i know we have a bunch of fundies/former fundies on here, so I was wondering--has anyone actually used Steve and Teri Maxwell's stuff, particularly managers of their homes? What did you think? My mom has an old one somewhere that she said she'd give me since I am functionally disorganized, but she never really used it.

I was just wondering what other people thought...especially since my son is too young for school and I work part time.

p.s. Someone gave my younger sisters a copy of "Preparing to be his helpmeet." My mother perused it quickly and decided that it was not appropriate reading for her teenage daughters, but gave it to me to review for you guys. So a review is coming shortly. :P

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used it. I bought it used and saved the difference, LOL! I didn't like the post-it note thingies, so I now have our schedule typed out and printed. It works well to get somethings in place, but honestly it is nothing earth shattering. Skim it, use what you can and shake your head at the rest :)

You can make it for $3. Maxwell way is plastic tags with a clip and paper shoved in with chore written on.

I am not organized at all, but some of my friends are doing a similar thing this year for school( homeschoolers)and I might try this.

Using a drawer system(plastic,wooden,wicker,whatever.My friends both have those multicolored drawer units you get a Stapes or Office Depo.which have alot of drawers. Its called workboxing,and they are doing a "all school work and chores must be done before anything else)like videogames)type thing. I like the idea,we may try it. http://www.successful-homeschooling.com/workboxes.html (the link explains it and I can see how it would work for chores as well) I just want the colored drawers.

Confession time. :shhh:

I got my copy free because I have a schedule in the back :o (using my real name). I had "only" 3 kids at the time. I was really into the Maxwells at one time, back in my early fundie days.

I used it, but I found it far too restrictive. I can't work under a stop watch, in 15 or 20 minute increments, at least not for a whole day, every day.

I agree that the info is not earth-shattering. Making a daily schedule is not as complicated as Terri would make it. You can find just as good if not better stuff all over the internet.

Confession time. :shhh:

I got my copy free because I have a schedule in the back :o (using my real name). I had "only" 3 kids at the time. I was really into the Maxwells at one time, back in my early fundie days.

I used it, but I found it far too restrictive. I can't work under a stop watch, in 15 or 20 minute increments, at least not for a whole day, every day.

I agree that the info is not earth-shattering. Making a daily schedule is not as complicated as Terri would make it. You can find just as good if not better stuff all over the internet.

Elaine, how did the Maxwells find you to do a test schedule for them? Were you one of the people to give a review in the book?

I would go nuts with that kind of schedule. (And I'm sure the Maxwell's would go nuts with my schedule.)

Typical day for me (in the summer when my son was not in school):

Me: Hey...what'd wanna do today?

Son: Go to the park, then to the beach, then to the movies.

Me: Okay--let's do it.

Housework got done between 1-2am when all the "fun stuff" was over. Then to sleep at 3am and then do it all over again the next day.

The original test group was from the MOMYS digest. That was for the first edition.

On the Maxwell's website, they used to run 2 forums, the MOTH forum, for questions related to scheduling, and the MOMsboard, for "godly" homemaking discussion. She posted to the MOTH board asking for sample schedules from "small" families and families with nontraditional schedules for the second edition.

Off topic, but related: I once posted on the MOMsboard a link to Laine's Letters and received a very rude e-mail back from Steve Maxwell because the website (which was hosted by geocities at the time, I think) had an "inappropriate ad" on it. When I went to see what the ad was, it was for psychological counseling. I thought he was a real jek for that. Then the following year, I met him at a homeschool conference and all doubt was removed. Grade A jack-ass.

Why? What was he like at the conference?

At homeschool conferences, it's customary for the speakers to hang around in their booths in the exhibition hall, even if it's just for a little while, to hawk their wares. Lots of handshaking, talking, questions answered, and, of course, the wares hawking.

First, Steve Maxwell HATES women--so much so that he would not shake hands, speak to, or practically acknowledge any of the women stopping by the booth. None. Homeschool conference attendance is overwhelmingly female. He ignored about 80% of his potential customers.

Second, Steve Maxwell HATES fun, even just pleasantries. He shook hands with the men and spoke to them, but only very curtly and in reference to the talk he'd just given or to direct them to one of his books.

Third, and the real kicker, his (then) teen-aged daughters were doing the selling in the booth. He was so cold and rude in his tone with them, I was actually shocked.

We got the feeling that he really didn't want to be there and was really far above all us attendees. As I said, a real jack-ass.

My husband, who heard his talk (which I believe was about teaching young men the value of work), said it was the single most boring thing he'd ever heard and left halfway through.

I've used it for years and I absolutely love it. L.O.V.E. it. When I started using it I had babies and toddlers, was doing child care in my home and my older girls were elementary school aged. At first the kids and I really stuck to the half hour increments, even though I don't schedule my babies. As time went on our schedule evolved according to the time of the year and the make-up of our family. Right now we're on our summer schedule which gets chores and the children's summer school work (we do math and reading/language arts year 'round) out of the way early in the day and allows for lots of afternoon outings, free time and other things like mowing the church lawn (and the occasional Mom's lunch out with a friend :D )

I wrote a post about how our family uses MOTH here: http://tomatosoupcake.blogspot.com/2010/04/time-for-everything.html

persuaded, I'm curious; How'd you make out on your Year of Buying Nothing?

At homeschool conferences, it's customary for the speakers to hang around in their booths in the exhibition hall, even if it's just for a little while, to hawk their wares. Lots of handshaking, talking, questions answered, and, of course, the wares hawking.

First, Steve Maxwell HATES women--so much so that he would not shake hands, speak to, or practically acknowledge any of the women stopping by the booth. None. Homeschool conference attendance is overwhelmingly female. He ignored about 80% of his potential customers.

Second, Steve Maxwell HATES fun, even just pleasantries. He shook hands with the men and spoke to them, but only very curtly and in reference to the talk he'd just given or to direct them to one of his books.

Third, and the real kicker, his (then) teen-aged daughters were doing the selling in the booth. He was so cold and rude in his tone with them, I was actually shocked.

We got the feeling that he really didn't want to be there and was really far above all us attendees. As I said, a real jack-ass.

My husband, who heard his talk (which I believe was about teaching young men the value of work), said it was the single most boring thing he'd ever heard and left halfway through.

Oh wow. We here at FJ thought he was a jackass. Good to have it confirmed.

Sounds like a real charmer. Poor Terri.

persuaded, I'm curious; How'd you make out on your Year of Buying Nothing?

I did pretty well... I'll be completely honest and tell you that I didn't make it through the whole year without buying anything. I had a few slip-ups and a few outright failures... relatively few though. I think I learned more about myself than anything else. I used to think I was a pretty spare thrifty frugal kinda gal, but I came face to face with the realization that I'm actually quite spendthrifty and materialistic. But hey, that's okay... we're all on a journey, right? :|

Not to push my own blog 'n' stuff (and feel free to ignore at will)... but this post here was my final update on the project: http://tomatosoupcake.blogspot.com/2011 ... rwise.html

Thanks for asking :)

Eileen... I'm not doubting what you're saying or anything. It sounds as though you have a history with them that I don't share, but I wanted to just pipe up and say that my experience with Steve has been quite different than yours. We have had cause to email back and forth regarding several things and he has never been anything less than extremely respectful and polite. Additionally, when I have met him at conferences he (and all the Maxwells for that matter) have been very cordial and friendly and seemed genuinely pleased to meet me. I was on the MomsBoard for years (mamalone was my screenname) and they remembered details of things I had shared, remembered all of my kids' names and generally treated me as an old friend. Just wanted to share another side of the coin :D

I've used it for years and I absolutely love it. L.O.V.E. it. When I started using it I had babies and toddlers, was doing child care in my home and my older girls were elementary school aged. At first the kids and I really stuck to the half hour increments, even though I don't schedule my babies. As time went on our schedule evolved according to the time of the year and the make-up of our family. Right now we're on our summer schedule which gets chores and the children's summer school work (we do math and reading/language arts year 'round) out of the way early in the day and allows for lots of afternoon outings, free time and other things like mowing the church lawn (and the occasional Mom's lunch out with a friend :D )

I wrote a post about how our family uses MOTH here: http://tomatosoupcake.blogspot.com/2010/04/time-for-everything.html

I like to see other people's schedules. It is an interesting glimpse into their lives. Here are the things I found most interesting about your schedule: how organized, and you go to bed by 9:30 (sometimes that is when I am still eating my dinner) :D

I think Clibby and I can second the "Steve is a jackass" thing, although I don't want to speak for her. It may be he treats different "types" or "groups" differently. shrug But he definitely seemed like a jackass when I met him.

These are the assholes who mourn abortions and fallen service members together, right? Fuckups.

A former church friend used their scheduling system for a few months but said it wasn't anything special. It didn't look all too different from their first schedule system, honestly, and that was handmade.

I don't know why fundies seem to think scheduling is rocket science, just get some construction paper and a marker, seriously. If you need to spend large amounts of time and/or money on scheduling system for your kids and home, you're probably not doing it right. Maybe ask those evil heathen public school teachers for help, the ones that schedule 25+ kids everyday without martyring themselves over it or buying special kits.

if you can't have any pleasure in life at all I doubt your going to be a nice person. you may be able to imitate one but I doubt it i real it is just a sales gimmick.

I agree with you here. Steve and Teri have never been anything but polite to me and my family. Steve has shaken hands with me and he has hugged my mother. I do email back and forth with Teri and consider us friends. I have challenged Steve a time or two, one time I remember was before Uriah entered the picture. They were traveling to a funeral, in another city, where Steve was speaking and the family singing. The boys, Christopher, Joesph and John, suggested they take two cars, but Steve wanted them to all go in the mini van for this 4 hour drive. They could not all fit in the van and everyone have a seatbelt. I challenged Steve on this decision and Teri too for allowing him to place their children in danger. Steve responded to me that God directed his decision. Teri reponded that it is not her role to question Steve, as Steve takes all direction from God. While I disagree, I didn't argue it further with them. They are who they are. I am a friend of the family, but that does translate to meaning I am just like them.

I agree with you here. Steve and Teri have never been anything but polite to me and my family. Steve has shaken hands with me and he has hugged my mother. I do email back and forth with Teri and consider us friends. I have challenged Steve a time or two, one time I remember was before Uriah entered the picture. They were traveling to a funeral, in another city, where Steve was speaking and the family singing. The boys, Christopher, Joesph and John, suggested they take two cars, but Steve wanted them to all go in the mini van for this 4 hour drive. They could not all fit in the van and everyone have a seatbelt. I challenged Steve on this decision and Teri too for allowing him to place their children in danger. Steve responded to me that God directed his decision. Teri reponded that it is not her role to question Steve, as Steve takes all direction from God. While I disagree, I didn't argue it further with them. They are who they are. I am a friend of the family, but that does translate to meaning I am just like them.

But you even identify yourself as a friend. Its nice they're not assholes to their friends, but it says nothing about their behavior to people they're not friends with. Neither you or tomatosoupcake have interacted with them in an environment where you're not a vouched fundie or family friend, so you really have no insight into how they treat people that aren't established fundies or friends.

the arrogance and stupidity burns so much. She lets hubby endanger her children by doing nothing. this is what god really wants in a family?

They were traveling to a funeral, in another city, where Steve was speaking and the family singing. The boys, Christopher, Joesph and John, suggested they take two cars, but Steve wanted them to all go in the mini van for this 4 hour drive. They could not all fit in the van and everyone have a seatbelt. I challenged Steve on this decision and Teri too for allowing him to place their children in danger. Steve responded to me that God directed his decision. Teri reponded that it is not her role to question Steve, as Steve takes all direction from God. While I disagree, I didn't argue it further with them. They are who they are. I am a friend of the family, but that does translate to meaning I am just like them.

OK, I'm calling bullshit on this. Steve doesn't take his direction from God, he takes it from Steve. He wanted everyone in the same car so he could be in control of the situation. Heaven only knows what the kids may talk about if he isn't in the car with them! The may even listen to some country music!! Terri and the rest of the clan needs to learn how to use their brains and their vocal cords and stand-up to this controlling jerk. What is Terri going to do when God commands Steve that the bathrooms should now be cleaned with a mixture of ammonia and bleach? Mix it up and hope God sucks all the chlorinated gasses out of the room?

Archived