IGNORED

Whining About Obamacare

debrand

lauralowder.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/the-hhs-mandate/

Obviously, I do NOT support the Obama administration’s move. Sure, there are exceptions. If you only hire members of your church, and if you only serve members of your church, you’re exempt. But what church do you know of that is so self-limited and self-contained as that? Every church I know of, Catholic and Protestant, hires people outside its own membership. Most Catholic parishes have to hire nonCatholic musicians because there aren’t enough musicians to go around any more.

I've been to plenty of small Protestant churches that only had volunteers from their own congregation. A church will not fall apart simply because it does not have the best musicians so why hire someone if you don't want to cover the health insurance?

Every church daycare I know of serves families not of its membership. Every charitable outreach, whether food pantry, clothes closet, or whatever, is extended to the larger community, not limited to that narrow congregation. Catholic hospitals comprise some 25% of medical services in this country – and they don’t limit their hiring or their caregiving to Catholics.

Okay. But there are many Catholic charities that support the compromise that the Obama administration proposed.

Every Protestant Church I was ever part of – Methodist, Baptist, Christian & Missionary Alliance, FourSquare, Pentecostal Holiness – taught that abortion is wrong, that it is murder of an unborn child and therefore unconscionable to a Christian community. Many, many of those churches taught against certain types of contraception which act as abortifacients (IUD and the Pill). They, too, are being held in contempt by this Administration in this mandate.

See, it is about controlling a woman's sexual choices. Birth control pills are used for nonsexual health reasons and the president did come present a compromise for church based businesses. The fact that they keep harping on sex and abortion shows that their fear is that a woman might have sex without the consequences of getting pregnant. It is no one business but the woman's why she might choose to take the pill.

We must band together in fighting this threat to our Constitutional liberty and to the salvation of souls. What’s more, we must learn to band together to fight the even great threat to souls: the paganization of our culture.

Dramatic but we have a secular government. I am not certain what she considers pagan. There is no one forcing her to take birth control or abort her own pregnancies. As a Catholic, she should be frightened of the thought of a 'Christian' America. Catholic immigrants haven't always been treated well in this country.

We’re told that we, as Christians, have an obligation to sit down and shut up and quit trying to manipulate the culture.

Really? The fact that she can criticize the government on her blog without fear of being hauled off to jail shows that no one is persecuting her. No one is preventing her from speaking or writing. Others have the freedom to tell her she is nuts.

If we sit, silent, and let a government agency that is hostile to Faith call the shots, if we sit silently by while our neighbors, coworkers and very family members wallow in grave sin, then we not only are failing to achieve our calling – we are bloodguilty of their souls through our silent complicity in their sins.

That sounds crazy. Really, if I have sex with every man I meet, how the hell is she responsible for my soul? That is my own business and not hers.

I think that this overdramatic type of thinking probably serves to feel a need in the writer's personality. For some reason she wants to feel persecuted .

edited for clarity.

I'm just wondering how long it will be until a Jehovah's Witness employer raises hell because they have to pay insurance to cover blood transfusions. I hate to say this whole religious objection thing is a slippery slope, but it really is. What about those Christians who are opposed to mental health care, for instance? Will that exemption be allowed? How far does it go?

I'm just wondering how long it will be until a Jehovah's Witness employer raises hell because they have to pay insurance to cover blood transfusions. I hate to say this whole religious objection thing is a slippery slope, but it really is. What about those Christians who are opposed to mental health care, for instance? Will that exemption be allowed? How far does it go?

That is a good point. How would she feel if one of her children worked for a Jehovah's Witness and couldn't get a blood transfusion because it was against his employer's faith?

This idea that they are responsible for saving the rest of us is exactly why fundies are such huge a-holes. I wish they would quit fucking trying to help me.

Or when the Hindus protest the use of their tax dollars for food stamps that go to purchase beef. Oh wait, they're not trying to impose their beliefs on the rest of us.

A family friend works for the Christian Scientists. They provide his family healthcare even though it goes against their beliefs.

This idea that they are responsible for saving the rest of us is exactly why fundies are such huge a-holes. I wish they would quit fucking trying to help me.

She doesn't want to be 'blood guilty' of your soul. Whatever the hell that means. There is no where in the bible that says that Christians are guilty for other people's sins so she is inventing stuff.

A family friend works for the Christian Scientists. They provide his family healthcare even though it goes against their beliefs.

Which has been a point that I've made through this whole thing. Religious institutions that employ people not of their own faith don't have to be assholes; the ones that are right now are choosing to be assholes.

the fecal matter will hit the oscillating rotor when a atheist denies medical coverage to a fundie christian. boy then you will here persecution screamed for all to hear.

I'm just wondering how long it will be until a Jehovah's Witness employer raises hell because they have to pay insurance to cover blood transfusions. I hate to say this whole religious objection thing is a slippery slope, but it really is. What about those Christians who are opposed to mental health care, for instance? Will that exemption be allowed? How far does it go?[/quote]

THIS!

What if I own a corporation, and make up my OWN "religion" to save myself a whole bunch of money?!

Archived