IGNORED

The Botkinettes on boys. Again. Book sales must be down.

Marian the Librarian

Damn. I hope the Botkinettes have egg on their faces after reading that.

I too can't read that site for too long because it makes me SO angry. I can't help but think they're going to feel foolish in ten years when they're still not married.

Egg does not stick to Teflon.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't help but think they're going to feel foolish in ten years when they're still not married.

By their own cultural standards won't they be stale dated in five years?

By their own cultural standards won't they be stale dated in five years?

Could be. Ten years is generous I suppose. Tho I'd think fundies would consider the 28-year-old to be stale dated now, and they're still embracing her as an eligible bachelorette. Sarah Malley, too... and she's early 30s, last time I checked.

It really makes me sad to see these women throwing away their lives for their Daddy. If they had their own husband he just might love them and the ladies would get their own life to live for. They'd at least be able to have children. If motherhood is their ultimate goal, their fathers are selfishly stealing this from them. If fathers are the one's who select the husbands (gag) then that daddy better be out actively looking for his daughters. Not that I approve or support this arranged marriage crap in any way.

At 28 I was married, had a college degree, had a baby who had been through the NICU, had a college degree, paid off a car.

What is this I don't even.

By the time I was 28 I had visited multiple countries (including Greece, Belgium, Japan and South Korea). I had worked since I was sixteen, done event security, been on the dole and helped those on the dole, worked in three different languages, dyed my hair all the colours of the rainbow (and when I was security it was in multiple tiny plaits). I've argued with gangsters in a Kyoto bar and I have held live grenades. (Er, not simultaneously ;)) I've had run-ins with riot police and run from them too.

I dunno, I just had fun. And I will continue having fun, whether I live one year or 100 years more. It makes me sad that the Botkinettes can't.

This. I don't get why fundies accept teachings from someone with no experience. Would they take sewing lessons from someone who had never sewn anything? Piano lessons from someone who is tone deaf? Then why learn about relationships from someone who has never had one?!?

Well with the way some of these fundies play an instrument (Duggars), I think they are just fine getting tone deaf lessons, just the same as taking personal life advice from someone who never had a non-creepy, non-emotionally incestious, relationship in their lives. They live so far out outside the real world, and hate education so much they like to learn from the most uneducated in their midst, cause you know only "worldly liberals" learn from experts in their fields. :roll:

Not only that, they haven't even been entrusted with the keys (lest they actually try driving). So all they're doing is sitting there with their hands on the wheel, making "vroom, vroom" and tire-squealing noises, in between reciting passages from the drivers' test study booklet. :lol:

That is the best mental picture ever.

I don't feel bad for the Botkin daughters. I not only hope they don't ever get married- I hope none of the fundie daughters get married (Botkin, Duggar, all of them) With only half the fundie population breeding, there would be less children being born into abusive households and systems of belief. Also, the more tenets of fundie faith that fall apart (like courtship and waiting for God to show daddy who you should marry), the more people are going to turn away from what obviously doesn't work. I say bring on the spinsters!

So hip indeed!

Star Wars came out when? About 35 years ago, not? I remember being in second grade when I saw it first.

Or you can be the adult you are and tell him to back the eff off.

So...if the guy says, "Yeah, sure, your dad says it's cool", does that mean they just jump in the car ship with him? Because that's a really bad idea, and it's especially bad advice to be giving to the generally younger set who actually read this crap. Make your own decisions, ladies, and try to develop some instincts about people. Daddy is not always going to be around, even in fundieville.

Daddy is not always going to be around, even in fundieville.

Thanks for pointing out another obvious flaw in Botkin Smug And Perfect Land - there is no guarantee that a father is always available to a family, for any number of reasons: death, illness, military service, etc. (Although I suppose their comeback would be, then it's the brother's job...)

I couldn't sleep last night so I read more of their entries starting from 2006. my sympathy wore thin and then nonexistant. Now I am thinking that they best not get married. I'm not sure they have the maturity for it. I kept thinking of them as girls which is not the case because they are technically women but the things they say don't come off as what a fully adult woman would write. it's creepy.

Thanks for pointing out another obvious flaw in Botkin Smug And Perfect Land - there is no guarantee that a father is always available to a family, for any number of reasons: death, illness, military service, etc. (Although I suppose their comeback would be, then it's the brother's job...)

Hence the problem with their original analogy. "If your friend Han Solo asks if he can take you for a ride in the Millennium Falcon and you are affronted because it is a bucket of bolts and you’ve already kissed romantic intergalactic joyrides goodbye (and you’d rather kiss a wookiee anyway) – you don’t have to tell him so rudely; there is a polite way to say, for example, “Have you checked with my dad on that?â€"

Leia's dad was on Alderaan, which was blown up (with her watching), and Leia didn't know she had a brother. What wise male did she have to get guidance from? I don't think they've seen Star Wars, maybe skimmed the Wikipedia to get some names to drop for street cred?

Hence the problem with their original analogy. "If your friend Han Solo asks if he can take you for a ride in the Millennium Falcon and you are affronted because it is a bucket of bolts and you’ve already kissed romantic intergalactic joyrides goodbye (and you’d rather kiss a wookiee anyway) – you don’t have to tell him so rudely; there is a polite way to say, for example, “Have you checked with my dad on that?â€"

Leia's dad was on Alderaan, which was blown up (with her watching), and Leia didn't know she had a brother. What wise male did she have to get guidance from? I don't think they've seen Star Wars, maybe skimmed the Wikipedia to get some names to drop for street cred?

Good point. And her bio dad couldn't really be trusted to look out for her best interests. Which brings up another problem: what if your dad is an abusive asshole?

This analogy has some serious flaws :lol:

Guest Anonymous

If Princess Leia gave Han an answer like that, he'd have mock-apologized for thinking he was dealing with a grownup and stomped away in disgust.

Let's not forget Leia's REAL father was Darth Vader. Is that someone you want to have authority over your daughter? Granted, he would certainly not want Leia to be hanging out on the Falcon with Han Solo.

Let's not forget Leia's REAL father was Darth Vader. Is that someone you want to have authority over your daughter? Granted, he would certainly not want Leia to be hanging out on the Falcon with Han Solo.

I wonder if they discourage adoption with such an example. What if the baby you're adopting turns out to be the daughter of Darth Vader!?

The rules seem very clear about fathers transferring authority to the husband when she gets married, but says nothing about biodad transferring authority to adoption.

Archived