IGNORED

Why Is The Right Going Against Birth Control?

debrand

By felons do you mean people currently in prison or do you mean ex-cons?

Here in the UK prisoners do not have the vote, although europ is trying to force it through here, the government is againt it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in the UK prisoners do not have the vote, although europ is trying to force it through here, the government is againt it.

It depends on the state. I don't believe any state allows felons currently in prison to vote. Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, Virginia and Wyoming permanently prohibit voting rights for felons.

I don't understand the opposition to showing an ID to vote. You have to show ID to cash a check, ID when you check in for a doctor's appointment, and in many situations. Yet you can just show up on election day and vote with just a copy of a a utility bill as proof of address.

I don't understand the opposition to showing an ID to vote. You have to show ID to cash a check, ID when you check in for a doctor's appointment, and in many situations. Yet you can just show up on election day and vote with just a copy of a a utility bill as proof of address.

The problem is that it disproportionally blocks poor people from voting. Middle to upper income voters aren't going to have a problem affording a picture ID while lower income voters, more likely to be Democrats, may have trouble affording a picture ID.

I'd feel differently if state IDs were free.

It depends on the state. I don't believe any state allows felons currently in prison to vote. Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, Virginia and Wyoming permanently prohibit voting rights for felons.

dsGsQatfUfA

The problem is that it disproportionally blocks poor people from voting. Middle to upper income voters aren't going to have a problem affording a picture ID while lower income voters, more likely to be Democrats, may have trouble affording a picture ID.

I'd feel differently if state IDs were free.

Don't most poor people have picture ID already? A lot of poor people have drivers licenses, that is a picture ID. Those who don't drive have state issued picture IDs. Or at least it seems like most do. For the last several years here you have to show your picture ID at medical appointments. I agree that picture ID should be free. School kids here all get free picture ID now. I consider myself among the poor, I'm below the poverty line. I wasn't always poor but am now. But I'm in a better place than many of the country's poor so I know how lucky I am.

dsGsQatfUfA

That was an interesting video. I've known several people who've had to go through hoops to get social security, and yes, it can be very frustrating. Maybe free state issued ID is the way to go. I just think you need something more than a utility bill in your name since felons and non-citizens can have utilities in their name. You can also have someone who is a registered voter identify you as someone eligible to vote, whether you are or not.

Don't most poor people have picture ID already?

Most but not all. One figure I saw puts the number of people without picture IDs at over 3 million.

But frankly, I'd be disturbed if only one person was denied their absolute right to vote because they couldn't afford a picture ID.

The Stinking Fishwife is all over the birth control issue, to no surprise. All her minions are chiming in. According to her drivel, all our country's problems started with 1) empancipation and 2) legalization of birth control.

She's a peach.

I'm for it, inasmuch as I give a shit about the parliamentary road (which I really kinda don't :D)

Why should they lose their right to vote just because they're in the jail? If anything some prisoners, having a fair bit of time for contemplation, get quite politically educated inside. The only arguments I ever see against it are the Daily Mail style "WOT IF THEY ALL VOTE FOR A PEEDOS PARTY ONOEZ" which seems highly unlikely to say the least.

The Stinking Fishwife is all over the birth control issue, to no surprise. All her minions are chiming in. According to her drivel, all our country's problems started with 1) empancipation and 2) legalization of birth control.

She's a peach.

What abut the suffrage movement? Or is that ok so their slaves daughters can all vote just like daddy does.

Santorum is a throwback as far as his stance against birth control is concerned. Every Catholic I know, myself and all my family included, does not follow the Church's teachings on that matter. They all use birth control other than NFP, and, once the family is complete, often opt for tubal ligations or vasectomies without a second thought or a bit of guilt.

Exactly, even if my dad continued to be a practicing Catholic, he still ignored the teaching against birth control as my parents quit having children after my brother was born. I found out later that my dad even had a vasectomy as well. I only have 3 cousins on my dad's side of the family even though my grandparents had 6 children. It just shows that my uncles also ignored the teachings against birth control.

If anything, the religious right's being against birth control is going to backfire on them as more moderate voters will vote for someone else, even if they're against abortion. After all, birth control does mean fewer abortions.

Archived