IGNORED

Remember Emily and Dna?

Nancy Drew

Has anybody looked up the county/city/town filings to see if a deed was filed in their names? I know I can find one in my name from when I bought my house when I look at the county website.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, as well as recordings of what was recently sold. I thought it was too stalkery to post all the details.

It also looks like the home was foreclosed and although it is tax assessed in the 50-60k range, it was up for sale finally for $11,900. The aerial photo wasn't bad, but the up close picture looks a bit...shack-tastic. I can only find a small, grainy photo, though. Also, it said 6 rooms, but the square footage is still really small - 769sqft.

Oh, and since it sold a while ago, almost all the listings are down for it, but there's one where the search cache says the home needs total rehab. :( Maybe they'll rip it out and put a newer mobile home on it. They've got a sizeable amount of land.

why bother to rehab it when you can just stack Rubbermaid totes along the exterior walls? that should be good for keeping maine winters at bay, plus you have all that storage!

Maybe if she fills the rubbermaid tubs with water and lets them freeze, it will keep them as warm as an igloo. She could pack in between the tubs with dirt, and then grow plants in the dirt in the summer.

Yes, as well as recordings of what was recently sold. I thought it was too stalkery to post all the details.

It also looks like the home was foreclosed and although it is tax assessed in the 50-60k range, it was up for sale finally for $11,900. The aerial photo wasn't bad, but the up close picture looks a bit...shack-tastic. I can only find a small, grainy photo, though. Also, it said 6 rooms, but the square footage is still really small - 769sqft.

Oh, and since it sold a while ago, almost all the listings are down for it, but there's one where the search cache says the home needs total rehab. :( Maybe they'll rip it out and put a newer mobile home on it. They've got a sizeable amount of land.

The home is VERY shack-tastic, which I find interesting because all the neighboring homes are decent. Many have (in-ground) swimming pools. Of course there is a property that looks like a junk yard or auto graveyard very close to their shack home.

11-buttons-rd-detroit-maine-04929.jpg

I wonder if Em will turn the attached lean-to into a chicken coop.

Also interesting that the home is only in Em's name. Dna better behave himself.

I worry about the children, with them living in a less urban area, there are fewer people to observe neglect.

The home is VERY shack-tastic, which I find interesting because all the neighboring homes are decent. Many have (in-ground) swimming pools. Of course there is a property that looks like a junk yard or auto graveyard very close to their shack home.

11-buttons-rd-detroit-maine-04929.jpg

I wonder if Em will turn the attached lean-to into a chicken coop.

Also interesting that the home is only in Em's name. Dna better behave himself.

I worry about the children, with them living in a less urban area, there are fewer people to observe neglect.

Knowing Emily that lean-to will be the kids bedroom!

I stalked this out and they have 3 acres! she can have a huge garden, at least bigger than 1 tin can of lettuce.

I bet she fills the lean-to with bunk beds.

i'm willing to wager that the money came from the government- either a mother of a tax refund with however many kids, or dna is getting social security disability for his problems and they got a chunk of back pay. as cheap as Emily was, i don't see her turning down big chunks of free money. she may have changed her position on taking government money if it meant she could buy a house outright. I wonder if they will ever do any repairs on it.

i'm willing to wager that the money came from the government- either a mother of a tax refund with however many kids, or dna is getting social security disability for his problems and they got a chunk of back pay. as cheap as Emily was, i don't see her turning down big chunks of free money. she may have changed her position on taking government money if it meant she could buy a house outright. I wonder if they will ever do any repairs on it.

The tax credit, if they take it, yeah, it would just about cover the entire cost of the house.

I think Dna still works at Wal Mart because he recently friended someone who started working at his Wal Mart in 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the roof actually a tarp?

I doubt Emily has thought through the implications of buying a totally derelict house. A roof is a roof. It's going to cost them $10,000 plus to replace it ( If it's so leaky there's probably structural damage).

Is the roof actually a tarp?

I doubt Emily has thought through the implications of buying a totally derelict house. A roof is a roof. It's going to cost them $10,000 plus to replace it ( If it's so leaky there's probably structural damage).

Looks like a tarp to me.

I missed the initial Emily and Dna incarnation; too busy getting a graduate degree. Every time they're bumped I hopefully look for the second coming of under $1,000.

I think it's an adorable little cottage, some paint and a yard clean up would do wonders. Definitely needs a new roof but I'm sure they thought of that. Pretty smart of them to buy a forecloser and I'm sure many people have heard the financial advice to "buy the worst/smallest house in the best neighborhood you can afford". Location, location, location.

Emily was never afraid to live in a small space, she even wrote about possibly living in one of those tiny prefab homes. I guess her extreme frugality has now paid off - 3 beautiful acres and a bigger home. Hopefully she'll now grow a real garden.

I think it's an adorable little cottage, some paint and a yard clean up would do wonders. Definitely needs a new roof but I'm sure they thought of that. Pretty smart of them to buy a forecloser and I'm sure many people have heard the financial advice to "buy the worst/smallest house in the best neighborhood you can afford". Location, location, location.

Emily was never afraid to live in a small space, she even wrote about possibly living in one of those tiny prefab homes. I guess her extreme frugality has now paid off - 3 beautiful acres and a bigger home. Hopefully she'll now grow a real garden.

With her extreme frugality and the fact that she's out of touch with reality, do you really think that she thought of the cost of upkeep on a home when she bought it? Or the cost of a new roof, I suspect that she thinks she can just live with the tarps over the roof forever.

To be honest, why buy the worst house in a neighborhood if it doesn't fit your needs. I look at my house as a place to live, not someplace that I can sell in a few years if I decide to. That advice is what caused the housing crash. Also, rural areas are very mixed in good/bad housing. It isn't like a city neighborhood at all.

ETA- I bought a house that was a foreclosure. I was able to do the repairs needed to bring it up to FHA as part of my loan. I still ran into extras that needed to be fixed, and this was a house that looked okay at first glance, other than a leak in one part of the roof. I am VERY glad that I didn't buy as much as I could, and think it's stupid to buy at the max of what your salary allows, my income has gone down each year since I bought this house, and while it's tight, it's still something I can afford.

Em is many things but she's not short in the brain department. I'm sure that in Em's eyes the home suits her needs perfectly. They're coming from much less after all! Their new home is surrounded by lovely homes and properties, not what I would call mixed.

Bottom line is that this home and it's land are a vast improvement in the family living situation, something I and many others have hoped and wished for over many years now. I might not agree with their method of getting there but they have succeeded in making one of their dreams come true and I hope the future will be much brighter for their children.

How people view their homes is very individual and often need based. Mine have been both places to live and places I can sell in a few years. To me it's foolish to buy something that will be difficult to sell because my career needs and my life plan have and will continue to require relocation. You're so right that buying at the max of what you can be loan qualified for is foolish and will most likely only lead to future financial trouble. In the normal course of life expenses grow, not lessen. - and sorry to hear about your income going down, that has happened to too many people. Have you finished fixing up your home?

Em is many things but she's not short in the brain department. I'm sure that in Em's eyes the home suits her needs perfectly. They're coming from much less after all! Their new home is surrounded by lovely homes and properties, not what I would call mixed.

Bottom line is that this home and it's land are a vast improvement in the family living situation, something I and many others have hoped and wished for over many years now. I might not agree with their method of getting there but they have succeeded in making one of their dreams come true and I hope the future will be much brighter for their children.

How people view their homes is very individual and often need based. Mine have been both places to live and places I can sell in a few years. To me it's foolish to buy something that will be difficult to sell because my career needs and my life plan have and will continue to require relocation. You're so right that buying at the max of what you can be loan qualified for is foolish and will most likely only lead to future financial trouble. In the normal course of life expenses grow, not lessen. - and sorry to hear about your income going down, that has happened to too many people. Have you finished fixing up your home?

I will not call anybody who lets their son languish in a coma for a few days smart.

I don't think I'll ever finish up my home, but the needed work was done about two years ago, and now it's just little things, or big things like a second bathroom added when I have the money, which could be a long time. When I had unstable jobs I never thought of buying a home, and with today's loan regulations- no matter how much you make, you're going to have a hard time getting a loan if your job is less than a couple years old, or you have a history of moving a lot. I also rented because I knew if I had to move, it was a lot easier to get out of a lease than to sell a home.

Why would location matter at all for Emily? She wouldn't care about the school district since they're all evil indoctrination camps anyway, and she surely doesn't have the foresight and planning ability to actually fix up the house and then sell it for a profit and move into something better. She loves being a poor suffering martyr for the cause and has no goal to actually live in a decent, repaired house.

Location is important because even a semi-rural house will require them to have a car. Their income must have gone up a fair bit if they can afford that. Hope they will be ok.

All things considered even if a new roof will cost 10k she got a home for 22k. Even another 20k in renovations and she still got a good deal for a home that will work for them in a nice area.

I think the place will be adorable with a new roof, if they lose that lattice, and so some landscaping. No idea what the inside is like, though.

The smart part of Emily's brain is defeated by her stubborn desire to be different and live in her own little dream world. Anyone who would create that death trap of a nursery, proudly blog about it and then turn a blind eye to all the dangerous things that were pointed out to her isn't acting in a smart way.

Archived