IGNORED

What about Cancer?

luv2laugh

Most in my church hadn't any problem with doctors. They would pray for wisdom for the doctors.

We had a few families that refused to go mainstream with their medical issues. They were definitely the "weirdos" in the church. And tolerated as such.

Most Fundies don't seem to eschew medical care completely. Many are anti-vax and use home remedies to a far greater extent than I think wise (including unassisted homebirth, because birth is oh so natural and nothing for a doctor or qualified midwife), but most would definitely see a doctor for toothache,broken bones etc.

My impression: Many of them only claim to trust in God and his natural remedies to cover up not being able to afford insurance.

You can turn to Lord Jesus for forgiveness, because you must have sinned, hence your disease. And you can pray it away just like you can pray away gayness. Crystal clear.

John Piper and Sproul Jr. think cancer is a gift from God. A few years ago Piper published ten points about having cancer. One, your cancer is designed by God just for you and two, it is a gift from God.

How they reconcile that crazy thinking with what the Bible says about earthly parents knowing how to give good gifts and not bad to their children therefore how much better God will give to his children, I. Do. Not. Know.

Cancer :twisted: is not a gift :D from God nor is it designed by Him just for me. If sin had not entered the world, there would be no cancer. Piper and Sproul Jr. know this. I haven't a clue why they write such heinous rubbish.

Haven't seen any fundies in my chemo ward. Either they're lucky enough to NOT have cancer, or if they are, they're keeping it on the downlow.

My nephew(fundie) had cancer as a very young child. He is now 10 and fine. He had chemo for years and he was also on a very expensive alternative treatment my sister paid for out of pocket. She wrote a book from a Christian perspective about and donates the book free to hospitals or any family who has a child with cancer. She sees(or saw) it as a ministry.

My mom died of breast cancer two years ago. I read a forum for relatives of people with cancer, and one woman actually told me that if only we'd prayed hard enough, God would've let my mother live. After all, her mother survived, and it wasn't the chemo that saved her, it was the prayers. So apparently, they do get treatment, but they believe it's God who actually saves people.

The same woman told me I'd go to hell because I said that I haven't lost my faith, but I'm so angry with God for taking my mother when she was only 58. Very Christian-like, that one.

What do Fundies do if they get cancer? Do they refuse treatment and 'ebil' doctors and keep going the natural route?

One time I went to an ATI conference with my then-fiancee and picked up a pamphlet about ~Biblical approaches to cancer~ or something, and this guy went on and on about how he cured his cancer by jumping on a trampoline. No shit.

Edited because typing on a tablet... it's hard.

My mom died of breast cancer two years ago. I read a forum for relatives of people with cancer, and one woman actually told me that if only we'd prayed hard enough, God would've let my mother live. After all, her mother survived, and it wasn't the chemo that saved her, it was the prayers. So apparently, they do get treatment, but they believe it's God who actually saves people.

The same woman told me I'd go to hell because I said that I haven't lost my faith, but I'm so angry with God for taking my mother when she was only 58. Very Christian-like, that one.

I had someone tell me something similar when my dad died (of Cancer) at 53. I told her if God played favorites like that he can go f*ck himself; I'd rather not believe in an ass like that. Sometimes bad things just happen.

The best advice I got about coming to terms with my dads death / understanding God etc was advice from a Reverend : "It's okay to be angry at God - he can take it"

Anyways - people like that suck. Sorry about your mom *hug*

Even the most ardent anti-medicine person would go see a doctor if they felt truly sick. Cancers are pretty rough with the body. Fundies who are anti-vaxers or anti-OBGYN aren't in pain when offered vaccinations or an OB checkup. The idea is that if they aren't feeling bad, then the doctors are chasing them for their money. Few will accuse doctors of money grubbers when they can provide relief for their debilitating illnesses.

I had someone tell me something similar when my dad died (of Cancer) at 53. I told her if God played favorites like that he can go f*ck himself; I'd rather not believe in an ass like that. Sometimes bad things just happen.

The best advice I got about coming to terms with my dads death / understanding God etc was advice from a Reverend : "It's okay to be angry at God - he can take it"

Anyways - people like that suck. Sorry about your mom *hug*

Thank you, and so sorry about your dad. That terrible disease.

A former co-worker is pretty fundie for European terms, and she told me pretty much what the Reverend told you. And why shouldn't it be okay? If God really exists, He makes some pretty questionable decisions.

Archived