IGNORED

The Bates kids only have a hamper full of indoor toys

Daisy4

I wear underwear to protect my girl parts from harsher fabrics. Also, because I re-wear my outer layer, I always wear panties, a bra and a cami. This saves me from having to wash otherwise clean clothing.

If you think underwear from the store are perfectly clean, please talk to someone who works in lingerie at even an upscale store. I worked in that department at Macy's and I would consider most of those garments well-worn by the time they are bought. Even if no one has tried them on, they have dug through the racks, knocked things to the floor, maybe stepped on them or sneezed on them. The garments are then refolded, rehung and put back with no cleaning. Even the factories where underwear are made are probably not clean. A good wash in hot water makes your new panties clean enough despite this mistreatment, right? Surely no one here will refuse to wear underwear that has been in a store?

I contemplated whether to share this... when my children outgrow underwear, I will wash it in hot water and put it aside for the next child in the hand-me-down line, provided they are in good condition and free of holes or stains. I have made the same cloth diapers last through several children and I have a friend eager to take them when E outgrows them.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand what this means. Underwear is worn once. Pants (at least for me) are often worn more than once. So you take underwear off and wash it, and the pants are still perfectly clean to be worn another day.

'zactly.

The jeans I"m wearing today, I'm going to wear tomorrow. If I went w/o underwear, they'd be to stinky to wear tomorrow.

(and as for me personally, I wear underwear w/ pants that will only be worn once because it makes me less stinky to have an extra layer of cloth between the smellier parts of me and the outside world--the same way the Mr.'s undershirt makes his uniform shirt less stinky at the end of a work-day)

(I wash my clothes in the same washing machine I put cloth diapers through--I have to assume that what goes in that washer comes out clean at the other end or I'd have to burn everything I own)

(I wash my clothes in the same washing machine I put cloth diapers through--I have to assume that what goes in that washer comes out clean at the other end or I'd have to burn everything I own)

I can't think of a single human-attacking microorganism that can make it through both a washer and a dryer. If one does not kill them, the other will.

I can't think of a single human-attacking microorganism that can make it through both a washer and a dryer. If one does not kill them, the other will.

well, I can think of a few that can- but it doesn't really matter. That stuff probably isn't in your laundry anyway. We worry so much about killing every little thing, but most of the stuff that is out there won't hurt you. Having an absolutely sterile environment actually isn't good for you and it isn't good for your kid's developing immune systems. You actually want your stuff to be covered with the harmless bacteria that is all around you. It helps keep the bad stuff away. I'm all for practicing good common sense laundry and cleaning habits, and then assuming it is clean enough and moving on with life!

Wait, just out of curiosity, what human-attacking microorganisms can make it through both the washer and the dryer? I am not calling you a liar, but just going through my microbiology book, I don't really see any. Unless you count bacterial spores, but honestly? Underwear are not where those will be hiding.

Wait, just out of curiosity, what human-attacking microorganisms can make it through both the washer and the dryer? I am not calling you a liar, but just going through my microbiology book, I don't really see any. Unless you count bacterial spores, but honestly? Underwear are not where those will be hiding.

I was pondering myself--I'm sure some exist. My first thought was some of the hardier psudomonads but 2nd thought, probably not.

I now wish my micro books were not burried behind a pile of megablocks :-P

I wear underwear to protect my girl parts from harsher fabrics. Also, because I re-wear my outer layer, I always wear panties, a bra and a cami. This saves me from having to wash otherwise clean clothing.

Underwear protects the lady bits from from harsher fabrics AND prevents. . . things. . . from being caught in the zipper!

Yeast. A typical washing machine takes in, at best, 135-140 degree water. Not enough to kill yeast. If you're prone to recurring yeast infections there are two ways to fight this. One is to discard all of your underpants and buy new ones, right after you've finished a course of antifungals. The other is to iron your underpants, using a hot iron (cotton/linen). Obviously anything that can't handle a hot iron has to go.

There's a third way. My Swedish washing machine takes in cold water and heats it to whatever temp you want, up to 207 degrees F and keeps the water at that temp throughout the wash and rinse cycles. Of course this means it takes pretty much all day to do a load of wash while the water is reheating. But it sure do kill the cooties.

Yes, yeast love 140 F, that is like their optimal environment!

But exposure to yeast will not cause a yeast infection, other things have to be involved.

Great point though! For some reason I was not thinking of yeast, but rather bacteria, protozoa, viruses, etc.

Wait, wait, wait - yeast can last through a wash cycle????

Oh. Oh. OH! I HAVE JUST NOW FIGURED OUT HOW TO CURE A RECURRING YEAST INFECTION IN THIS FAMILY! I must run post-haste to tell the afflicted individual!

Wait, wait, wait - yeast can last through a wash cycle????

Oh. Oh. OH! I HAVE JUST NOW FIGURED OUT HOW TO CURE A RECURRING YEAST INFECTION IN THIS FAMILY! I must run post-haste to tell the afflicted individual!

And this is just one reason why FJ is such an amazing place.

Yes, well, the only other way I know of to cure a recurring yeast infection is to have your partner get himself treated for it, as apparently those things can be spread via penises. Repeatedly. That's not an issue in this case, but I'm sharing the news in case it helps anybody else to know this stuff :)

Yeast naturally live in vaginas in small amounts. There is no extinguishing them completely. They generally get out of control if something else is amiss. For example (TMI to follow) I get yeast infections when I take antibiotics because they wipe out the good bacteria that keep the yeast in check.

I get yeast infections when I take antibiotics because they wipe out the good bacteria that keep the yeast in check.

Lots of people have that problem. I know folks who ask for a prescription for anti-fungals every time they have to take antibiotics. "Do you have a yeast infection?" "No, but I will!!"

Which works great with the understanding doctors, not so great with the strict ones.

Wow, this thread is weird :)

I don't have any problems sharing (washed) underwear or (washed or unwashed) sheets and towels. If I worried about such things I would never be able to live how I have for as long as I have been an adult (and before).

Food and drink is a bit different. I'll happily take a sip or finish someone else's drink unless they have a bad cold. However, eating food someone else has bitten, not so much, but I do not know why (after all if you share a joint...) Still, I can do it.

Toothbrushes, if I have to share I just rinse it out in really hot water or cold water if there is not the chance of hot. Soap I do not care about at all, whatever people have done with it, I am using a hygiene product under hot water, what will harm me?

It intrigues me to find others have strong views on these matters and reminds me to be a more careful host for people with those opinions (indeed on the strength of this thread I will buy toothbrush and soap multipacks this morning).

Yes, well, the only other way I know of to cure a recurring yeast infection is to have your partner get himself treated for it, as apparently those things can be spread via penises. Repeatedly. That's not an issue in this case, but I'm sharing the news in case it helps anybody else to know this stuff :)

That's cause men can get yeast infections too, and often the only symptom is a reoccurring yeast infections in his wife/girl friend/secret lover/

Yeast. A typical washing machine takes in, at best, 135-140 degree water. Not enough to kill yeast. If you're prone to recurring yeast infections there are two ways to fight this. One is to discard all of your underpants and buy new ones, right after you've finished a course of antifungals. The other is to iron your underpants, using a hot iron (cotton/linen). Obviously anything that can't handle a hot iron has to go.

There's a third way. My Swedish washing machine takes in cold water and heats it to whatever temp you want, up to 207 degrees F and keeps the water at that temp throughout the wash and rinse cycles. Of course this means it takes pretty much all day to do a load of wash while the water is reheating. But it sure do kill the cooties.

I thought bleach knocked out yeast. My son had a yeast rash when he was a couple months old so I took all the diapers and bleached them (along with using ointment to treat him). He hasn't had a problem since.

yeah. spore formers, and that sort. I did not have a specific strain in mind. Some spore formers can be found in ducts in most homes, but generally you won't find that sort of stuff in the laundry. As clean as the washer and dryer get your clothes is as clean as they need to be in most situations. I would stop short of suggesting that they were truly sterilized, though.

Toothbrushes, if I have to share I just rinse it out in really hot water or cold water if there is not the chance of hot. Soap I do not care about at all, whatever people have done with it, I am using a hygiene product under hot water, what will harm me?

Sorry to resurrect this super-strange thread, but the OCD in me is requiring that I point out -- JFC, quite often when people brush their teeth, their gums bleed a little. Rinsing the toothbrush does not get rid of all the blood, and then you put it straight on to your gums/mucus membranes. :?

Hepatitis B is definitely known to be spread this way (sharing personal hygiene implements is thought to be involved in the family transmission that contributes to an almost 100% Hep B infection rate in some Asian countries) and there are probs others.

Pleeeeeease get/keep your own toothbrush.

Okay, done. :D

Ah, thanks for the info! I will be super careful from now on in!

I do normally use my own but have never been fussed if I go somewhere unexpectedly, forget, and someone says "Oh just use mine". I know that is gross for some, but my granny used to say "Everyone eats a peck of dirt afore he dies" which makes sense.

However I doubt swallowing blood and that was included...see FJ is very educational!

Do they really think that putting the kids through all these is good parenting or godly?

I think they do.

I honestly believe they think it builds character and all that jazz.

I"m not sure they *start* that way, but they make bad choices and rather than see them as bad choices, they build up an entire belief system that defends those choices as 'good'.

They 'choose' poverty because of the whole 'easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle' idea and the 'poor in spirit' from the beatitudes.

They think they are cultivating meekness (beatitudes/fruit of the spirt) when they force their daughters to be quivering blobs of conformity

They think they are cultivating 'mourning' (beatitudes) by outlawing fun.

They cultivate a persecution complex believing that they become "they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"

It's selecting passages to conform w/ what they want, but I do think they actually believe it is 'good' for their kids.

Archived