IGNORED

What would you teach the fundies?

O Latin

I couldn't agree more.

Our of curiosity, when you stepped away from the fundie curriculum, what did you choose? I'm not a homeschooler, but I would imagine choosing a curriculum is a big decision.

That curriculum was ACE and I found myself doing more and more correcting of the subjects. My wife grew up using it (public student myself) and we moving to a mixed Public School/Early College/Independent studies format. If you can call that a format.

How to use a good public library to its best advantage. One the kids have that down, there's no stopping them.

Oh -- and how to spell and punctuate correctly.

I took one of my daughter to the library and she was very excited to get her own card. Love them libraries.

How to dance

Do you know why Fundies don't drink?

They might get drunk and then give into the temptation to dance.

As much as I want to second many of your answers, I'm going to go with a nice class on positive parenting and logical consequences. The thing that makes me the most sick about fundies is the child abuse, no question.

That curriculum was ACE and I found myself doing more and more correcting of the subjects. My wife grew up using it (public student myself) and we moving to a mixed Public School/Early College/Independent studies format. If you can call that a format.

Interesting. The Duggars admitted that before they got a wall of computers, the used ACE supplemented with the good ole "Wisdom" booklets. It explains a lot.

Y'all have stolen my responses (as an English major and teacher, my first two responses were grammar and literature), but I'd like to set them up with a secular homeschool group so the kids can see all sides of an issue and begin to formulate questions about the world around them, so they can REALLY grow up. Emphasis on the word GROW.

Biology, and how to care for a sick child especially when they're too young to say what's wrong with them.

The Establishment clause of the First Amendment, and what it really means.

I would LOVE to teach a class to the Duggars about the Pagan origins of Christianity and the similarities between the two. For instance, the Greek word for "Jesus" translates to "Hail Zeus" (the Greek God). The fact that many Christian practices (including Easter) and symbols today stem from evil heathens would blow their minds. Also, I would love to teach a class about women's history leading up to Roe V. Wade.

http://www.askelm.com/secrets/sec103.htm

http://www.rightdivision.com/pagan-origins-easter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -symbolism

http://www.hiddenbible.com/jesuszeus/jesuszeus.html

Biblical hermeneutics. How (not) to interpret parables, allegory and metaphor.

And (for the Duggars at least) the basics of nutrition, and how to cook healthy food very cheaply from fresh, raw ingredients...

Professor Pop Culture at your service. I'd teach them about different types of music, film, TV and other assorted pop culture tidbits.

Child Development

This.

As much as I want to second many of your answers, I'm going to go with a nice class on positive parenting and logical consequences. The thing that makes me the most sick about fundies is the child abuse, no question.

And this. For all the things I would love to introduce them to, I don't think any could be more relevant than the idea that it might be worthwhile to treat their children like something other than evil sinners that can comprehend in the way that adults can.

Do you know why Fundies don't drink?

They might get drunk and then give into the temptation to dance.

Why don't they have sex standing up?

The neighbors might think they're dancing!

Critical Thinking and Logic. How can anyone trust what they believe if they haven't questioned and examined it.

I think I would take them on a field trip to the American Museum of Natural History in New York or the Field Museum in Chicago. Because I love natural history museums and evolution, even though I'm not remotely a science person.

I don't think I could handle teaching them American history, which is my passion, because their gaps are too wide and it would be too much pressure and it would just be too frustrating.

First, literature. Next I'd teach all those j'girls not to be slaves to men. And then I'd teach those lazy ass j'boys to pick up after themselves.

Archived