IGNORED

What would you teach the fundies?

O Latin

Just for fun, if you were invited to give a homeschool lesson on a topic of your choice to a group of fundies, what would you teach them? Nothing is off limits. Evolution, sex ed, whatever you want.

I think I would do the American Revolution. We would cover all the various causes that eventually resulted in revolution. We would also cover such topics as who Paul Revere was really warning and in which document "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" can be found.

And if they invited me back a second time, we would cover the Protestant Reformation, so they could learn a little bit about where their theology comes from.

I would agree about the protestant reformation. I would like to cover plate tectonics, and other such science.

I'd like to do a class on the lives of the working class during the Victorian Age. To show that it wasn't all long dresses and tea parties, and that most of society had to work long hours for low wages in horrible conditions.

Darwinist evolution. Just so they could see that there is no real conflict with religion and that the whole controversy is just manipulation and/or ignorance from their leaders.

the difference between a metaphor and a fact

the difference between literature and a scientific research paper

how to assimilate new information without fearing you will destroy the entire foundation of your beliefs

show them that beliefs which are different from theirs will not lead straight to hell

demonstrate another hairstyle other than permed crunchy hair

edited to add a fashion tip

Just for fun, if you were invited to give a homeschool lesson on a topic of your choice to a group of fundies, what would you teach them? Nothing is off limits. Evolution, sex ed, whatever you want.

I think I would do the American Revolution. We would cover all the various causes that eventually resulted in revolution. We would also cover such topics as who Paul Revere was really warning and in which document "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" can be found.

And if they invited me back a second time, we would cover the Protestant Reformation, so they could learn a little bit about where their theology comes from.

The constitution of the US, and maybe some literature. Make them read some Thomas Paine. I would also want to teach the truth about our founding fathers. Of course, none of it would stick but...

Women's studies such as history of women in America and the roles they played.

Religion and what the bible really has to say.

American and world history.

Literature and how it isn't the work of the devil.

I'm going to be totally fluffy and teach them how to be modest without being frumpy. This would naturally involve delving into fashion history, and I don't just mean the upper-class styles of the Regency and the late Victorian periods.

If they weren't allowed to quit or disrupt my lesson? Catholicism! The history of it and material covering all the sacraments. (I'm Catholic.) I know most fundies have been taught that Catholicism is "the beast" (see Chick Tracts), so I'd like to show them what it's really all about.

English grammar.

This. I was specifically thinking about the use of "when" vs. "whenever" in a sentence. They are not generally interchangeable, Duggars!

And, yes, evolution, the Constitution, the character qualities of TOLERANCE, ACCEPTANCE and TRUST, etc. They are all subjects so vitally missing from most fundies' realm of understanding. But I have a feeling my usually limitless patience would be exhausted just by the "when" vs. "whenever" lesson.

Web development. Seriously, some of these fundie websites look like they came straight out of 1996.

Guest Anonymous

This. I was specifically thinking about the use of "when" vs. "whenever" in a sentence. They are not generally interchangeable, Duggars!

And, yes, evolution, the Constitution, the character qualities of TOLERANCE, ACCEPTANCE and TRUST, etc. They are all subjects so vitally missing from most fundies' realm of understanding. But I have a feeling my usually limitless patience would be exhausted just by the "when" vs. "whenever" lesson.

Don't forget the Grand Canyon-sized gulf between your and you're.

All of these sound like fun to me. As a fundy home-schooler I waited in earnest for the book "George Washington the Christian". As I read it myself before passing it on to the kids my disappointment grew with each page. It relied on discredited sources (Washington was a Deist at best) and began our slow step away from that curriculum. Lying to kids is a bad way to educate them.

Theology and biblical narratology. If I could fix their manipulation and misuse of the Bible, many other subjects would undoubtedly demand a second look.

All of these sound like fun to me. As a fundy home-schooler I waited in earnest for the book "George Washington the Christian". As I read it myself before passing it on to the kids my disappointment grew with each page. It relied on discredited sources (Washington was a Deist at best) and began our slow step away from that curriculum. Lying to kids is a bad way to educate them.

I couldn't agree more.

Our of curiosity, when you stepped away from the fundie curriculum, what did you choose? I'm not a homeschooler, but I would imagine choosing a curriculum is a big decision.

How to use a good public library to its best advantage. One the kids have that down, there's no stopping them.

Oh -- and how to spell and punctuate correctly.

I would also like to add, French. I'd have liked to consider myself fairly interested in other cultures before I started studying other languages, but six years of French later, and I've found more fascinating stuff than I ever would have dreamed of, my knowledge of English grammar and vocabulary has improved, as well as my desire to understand political events and movements in other countries. As cheesy as it sounds, foreign language really does open another world to you.

Archived