IGNORED

Shouldn't the Maxwell's be crying by now?

clibbyjo

I think New Year’s Eve was our best prayer time yet. We prayed for two and a half hours and ushered in the New Year in a grand and glorious fashion. Previous New Year’s Eves we have played board games, but they did not compare with this last one.

How sad that they enjoyed crying more than playing board games. Gee, I wonder who had the idea to scrap the game playing and instead spend two and a half hours weeping?

Happy New Year to the Maxwell family. Can't wait to read how they "celebrated" this year.

I went to look at fireworks, then everyone else went to a party, but I didn't as I have a bad foot (mostly constructed out of metal) and it froze up on me so I decided to limp home. On my way back I saw a dead bloke. His face was covered in blood and there were people standing around him. Someone flagged down a police van, but they came over, checked his pulse then stepped back and shook their heads. It was sad but I did not cry. I went to a gay bar instead and had two glasses of wine.

This is for real? Holy crap...and to think I mentioned people gathering in some fringe church doing exactly this when I was joking around about my fun-sucking neighbor earlier. I feel so bad for the Maxwell kids that still live at home. I mean, yeah, I figured they'd find going outside with some explosives much too pagan and would go for something like a board game (hey, I've spent many a fun hour playing some hardcore Monopoly), but to decide that sitting around, praying, and even more so, WEEPING is more fun than playing board games? Really? Is it really that sinful to have some real fun, and enjoying something for yourself? Indulging yourself on occasion is actually healthy for you...ugh. The only time I had fun weeping was as Juliet's nursemaid on stage in high school.

Well, I spent my New Year's Eve doing fireworks and playing video games and today is going to be full of shopping and treating myself later to a steak fresh off the grill. Hope the ever holy and divine Maxwells have a special prayer to save my soul!

I went to a friends house where we watched two movies, an episode of The Twilight Zone, and then the ball drop. Oh... and I got a very NICE New Years Kiss hahahaha

Some friends were completely beat down tired by having to do year-end inventory at their supermarket so went to bed early, but they will be coming over tonight instead.

So last night was spent as a usual relaxed non-work evening here mostly, read some books and enjoyed more of the home-brew beer, and then tuned into the NYC Times Square telecast with my husband, we heard a song we liked and found a group to look up. All in all, a pleasant evening. Uploaded the scanned version of my New Year card to various places at midnight, done.

We might play some board games tonight. :) I quite like parties with board games. No WAY would I enjoy weeping for my neighbors.

Meanwhile today, it's all about starting to torrent all the New Year special TV that's hopefully uploaded by now...

It doesn't sound pathetic to me either. I'm still recovering from a burst appendix, so Mr. Snarky and I are staying in, fueled by the killer Chinese takeout we bought and getting ready to watch the DVD we rented of "The Help". Our cat is curled up next to us, and shortly before midnight we'll pour ourselves a glass of Bailey's each, watch the ball come down at Times Square and toast the New Year.

Did you like "The Help"? I liked it, but the book was better (isn't is always?).

I went to look at fireworks, then everyone else went to a party, but I didn't as I have a bad foot (mostly constructed out of metal) and it froze up on me so I decided to limp home. On my way back I saw a dead bloke. His face was covered in blood and there were people standing around him. Someone flagged down a police van, but they came over, checked his pulse then stepped back and shook their heads. It was sad but I did not cry. I went to a gay bar instead and had two glasses of wine.

Christ, I'm so sorry you saw something so horrible.

And here I was feeling sorry for myself because BF is in Hong Kong and I'm alone sleeping gastroenteritis off on the couch.

Maybe the Maxwells did weep last night. They are losing their popularity with some circles so they could have been weeping and praying over that.

Last night, the bf and I went over to a friends' house we played cards and I had a few drinks. My boyfriend had to go this morning to pick up his grandmother who is staying with a relative a couple of hours away. So he was a designated driver last night.

Yeah, this. One thing I've learned from all my years of self-employment is that if you really want to make money, you need to offer something your customers can't get just anywhere. You've got to show them something fresh and new. And scripture prints like the ones the Maxwells are selling? I don't even have to hit the nearest Christian bookstore to know how tired and overdone those designs are. They've been done, and done again, and done better and cheaper.

As far as I can tell, nobody in that family has a good eye for design or an active imagination. Or, if they do, it's been squashed flat under the pressure to be perfectly godly, to not make idols of anything, and to satisfy Steve's dull, rigid, and pessimistic standards. Their isolation from broader pop-culture influences doesn't help, either. Hence, the insipid Moody books. Hence, the '90s-era motivational-poster scripture prints. Hence, the online computer classes, teaching things (like basic HTML!) that anyone with a book, some spare time, and a desire to do so can learn.

I don't feel bad for the parents, but I do feel sorry for those kids. They want to work, they want to contribute, they want to see their family mission succeed--but they've had all the offbeat, visionary, innovative, outside-the-box qualities that make for successful entrepreneurs trained right out of them.

I agree, when it comes to good design and active imaginations, nobody in the Maxwel family has the gift. They are probably the dullest fundie family that I follow. I also feel sorry for the kids, they pretty much can't be normal kids.

Christ, I'm so sorry you saw something so horrible.

And here I was feeling sorry for myself because BF is in Hong Kong and I'm alone sleeping gastroenteritis off on the couch.

That sounds much worse to me! Are you feeling better?

The guy looked homeless and I think he had a heart attack and hit his face on the way down. His nose was quite obviously broken.

It was sad...I said a small prayer in my head for him (religious schooling) and tried to stop people going over as he was beyond help.

Guest Anonymous

Did you like "The Help"? I liked it, but the book was better (isn't is always?).

I really enjoyed the movie, but haven't read the book yet. It's on my "honey, let's buy" list at Powell's.

I had a very boring NYE, in large part because I'd had a GI problem since Wednesday morning and was just trying to get back to somewhere near normal (as in, able to eat and take my meds without throwing up). I had the opportunity to be annoyed yet again with the stupid, lameass Arizona legislature, which legalized fireworks at the 4th of July and New Year's in 2010. It seemed like every little kid in the area had fireworks and was up lighting them at midnight...culminating in someone dropping (what I think were) a whole package of lit M-80s into an empty dumpster at 2:45 am. I just wanted to kill at that point, but instead I rolled over and went back to sleep.

ETA: For all that, it was a fuckload more fun than sitting up and crying over the sins of the world. I don't know if that's really necessary.

Archived