IGNORED

Shouldn't the Maxwell's be crying by now?

clibbyjo

They're probably crying cause those silly things aren't selling. Even at "closeout" pricing, nobody wants them.... :roll:

I don't think we'll get their "Christmas" post until they sell.

They're probably crying cause those silly things aren't selling. Even at "closeout" pricing, nobody wants them.... :roll:

Those scripture prints were ridiculous products for them to carry, especially since other Christian businesses carry stuff like that and I have seen some nicer scripture prints at places like Wal-Mart and mall stores.

That means we won't get an updated post at least until Easter Resurrection Sunday.

Maybe they heard the Seven Sisters got a Christmas ham from God and they didn't and they're sulking.

Those scripture prints were ridiculous products for them to carry, especially since other Christian businesses carry stuff like that and I have seen some nicer scripture prints at places like Wal-Mart and mall stores.

Yeah, this. One thing I've learned from all my years of self-employment is that if you really want to make money, you need to offer something your customers can't get just anywhere. You've got to show them something fresh and new. And scripture prints like the ones the Maxwells are selling? I don't even have to hit the nearest Christian bookstore to know how tired and overdone those designs are. They've been done, and done again, and done better and cheaper.

As far as I can tell, nobody in that family has a good eye for design or an active imagination. Or, if they do, it's been squashed flat under the pressure to be perfectly godly, to not make idols of anything, and to satisfy Steve's dull, rigid, and pessimistic standards. Their isolation from broader pop-culture influences doesn't help, either. Hence, the insipid Moody books. Hence, the '90s-era motivational-poster scripture prints. Hence, the online computer classes, teaching things (like basic HTML!) that anyone with a book, some spare time, and a desire to do so can learn.

I don't feel bad for the parents, but I do feel sorry for those kids. They want to work, they want to contribute, they want to see their family mission succeed--but they've had all the offbeat, visionary, innovative, outside-the-box qualities that make for successful entrepreneurs trained right out of them.

I was just coming here to post about this. I can expect they are all on hands and knees on their very clean and well scrubbed tile floor wailing, self flaggelating, and generally grief stricken.

Okay, now is this a real thing? Do the Maxwell's really spend their New Years Eve sobbing for the unsaved? Someone mentioned this a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was just metaphorical, but maybe it's not? Do they really do this? Seriously? Sorry for the cluelessness. I realize that they're not celebrating in the typical sense - or any sense - but to make a point to weep just...I dunno. It seems so silly and, in a way, self-aggrandizing.

Okay, now is this a real thing? Do the Maxwell's really spend their New Years Eve sobbing for the unsaved? Someone mentioned this a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was just metaphorical, but maybe it's not? Do they really do this? Seriously? Sorry for the cluelessness. I realize that they're not celebrating in the typical sense - or any sense - but to make a point to weep just...I dunno. It seems so silly and, in a way, self-aggrandizing.

Sadly, true:

http://www.titus2.com/corners/3-05-d.htm

I think New Year’s Eve was our best prayer time yet. We prayed for two and a half hours and ushered in the New Year in a grand and glorious fashion. Previous New Year’s Eves we have played board games, but they did not compare with this last one. Our hearts were so blessed as we prayed while weeping, praying Scripture, and praying through song. We cried out as a family to our Lord Jesus regarding many areas, and the souls of our neighbors were high on the list. “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart†(Jeremiah 29:13).

Steve is such an arrogant ass. How does he know anything about the souls of his neighbors?

Wow. I'm home alone tonight and am alternately happy about it and frustrated at the same time because while it was a choice to be here, it was a choice based on none of the other options appealing to me. I'm not much into parties and revelry and it seems I know no one who is interested in a quieter, calmer way of bringing in the new year. Anyway, my night alone with Netflix and a good book and a bottle of wine probably sounds pretty pathetic to people who enjoy the revelry and expectations of this night. It is kind of pathetic to me depending on how I look at it.

But, at least I am not on my knees crying out for the souls of my neighbors. At least my father isn't dictating that I, a grown adult, spend hours in prayer, taking on the responsibility for the souls of my neighbors. At least I am not crying, for myself or anyone else or any other reason. At least I am at peace and doing what I chose to do, no matter how mundane and more like your average Monday than even an average Saturday it is.

Steve's ego is too big even for his god.

As far as I can tell, nobody in that family has a good eye for design or an active imagination. Or, if they do, it's been squashed flat under the pressure to be perfectly godly, to not make idols of anything, and to satisfy Steve's dull, rigid, and pessimistic standards. Their isolation from broader pop-culture influences doesn't help, either. Hence, the insipid Moody books. Hence, the '90s-era motivational-poster scripture prints. Hence, the online computer classes, teaching things (like basic HTML!) that anyone with a book, some spare time, and a desire to do so can learn.

I think you hit on the biggest issue with the Maxwell kids. None have been exposed to the broader culture, nor were they encouraged (or allowed) to read and learn from sources other than the Bible and Steve approved textbooks. It shows in their writings, in their choice of business ventures, in their artistic productions and even in their attempt at self-marketing. However, I think it's also why the boys are encouraged to venture into technical careers. They require little exposure to the liberal arts and humanities and doesn't violate fundie bible thumping beliefs like other science fields such as biology. It's probably their family's saving grace since they can actually make a decent living doing IT work for small companies. It is sad that the Maxwells make their children live like cloistered monks. I can only hope that some of them have the brains to break out of the cult and join the human race.

Wow. I'm home alone tonight and am alternately happy about it and frustrated at the same time because while it was a choice to be here, it was a choice based on none of the other options appealing to me. I'm not much into parties and revelry and it seems I know no one who is interested in a quieter, calmer way of bringing in the new year. Anyway, my night alone with Netflix and a good book and a bottle of wine probably sounds pretty pathetic to people who enjoy the revelry and expectations of this night. It is kind of pathetic to me depending on how I look at it.

But, at least I am not on my knees crying out for the souls of my neighbors. At least my father isn't dictating that I, a grown adult, spend hours in prayer, taking on the responsibility for the souls of my neighbors. At least I am not crying, for myself or anyone else or any other reason. At least I am at peace and doing what I chose to do, no matter how mundane and more like your average Monday than even an average Saturday it is.

Steve's ego is too big even for his god.

Doesn't sound pathetic to me at all. My husband and I are spending the evening eating "fun" food and watching "The Wire" on tv (taking periodic breaks for me to check this board and for him to check some scores). The way the Maxwell's spend New Year's Eve is pathetic but the way you are spending yours is not! :)

bolding mine

You are not alone. I'm on the couch, the cat is at my feet. I've moved on to cashews and hazel nuts with my wine.

Guest Anonymous

You are not alone. I'm on the couch, the cat is at my feet. I've moved on to cashews and hazel nuts with my wine.

It doesn't sound pathetic to me either. I'm still recovering from a burst appendix, so Mr. Snarky and I are staying in, fueled by the killer Chinese takeout we bought and getting ready to watch the DVD we rented of "The Help". Our cat is curled up next to us, and shortly before midnight we'll pour ourselves a glass of Bailey's each, watch the ball come down at Times Square and toast the New Year.

Store bought pizza, wine for me, mead for him, cheese and crackers and salami out for picking at, the NCIS marathon (Mark Harmon....ahhhhhhh) and the dog snoring behind me.

I'll go to church and sing some more Christmas carols tomorrow. Celebrate the joy and peace that the Love of Jesus brings into my life. As for my neighbors, well, they're Baha'i so we don't ever hear them. Since they are monotheistic, I think they can pray for themselves.

Happy New Year Steve, you ignorant ass.

My flight back to Boston this morning was cancelled and I can't get home until tomorrow. So I had a nice dinner (mushroom soup, veal, gelato) with my parents, brother, and SIL. I'm pregnant, but did have a sip of wine, which was delicious. And now we're all lying around the living room reading books until midnight. I miss my husband a lot, but a low-key new year is so nice.

And nobody has cried even once, which is a plus. I think of the Maxwells, and how grateful I am that I'm not one of them, every NYE.

But theirs featured Christopher's photos! At least I assume so, because he's shown holding one of them.

Congrats on your pregnancy, VodouDoll!

I forgot to cry tonight. I was too busy eating delicious sea scallops, seeing a movie (Young Adult), drinking wine, and watching an episode of Jeeves and Wooster. It was a very nice night, and my unsaved heathen of a husband was happy that we did something other than just eat out.

We can only hope that the Maxwells included our own hell-bound souls in their prayers this year.

Archived