IGNORED

OMG - New Maxwell Post

skankbiscuit

I don't get the hide and seek. I play hide and seek with children because they think its fun to play with adults acting like kids. I doubt Maxwell children are allowed to act like children. I've played it as an adult with only adults but it usually involved being at university, alcohol and a playing in territory way bigger than just a house. Sometimes water guns were in play.

This exactly. I remember games of hide and seek in the dark which involved the rugby players who lived in the apartment below me and my roommates during college. :whistle:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't get over the fact that these adults' idea of big party fun is to play hide and seek with each other. It's so...stunted.

Oh I LOVE board games and table games - Consequences, but also the various "team talent" games like Pictionary and those ones where sometimes you draw, sometimes you sculpt, sometimes you mime... Scrabble, Taboo (great game for practicing language!) etc. I go to a lot of parties where friends and coworkers get together to play games like this, though with us of course there is also... beer, which makes a lot of those games even more ridiculously fun.

Yeah, imagining the Maxwells at our party would be... interesting :D Heck, just the foundation of it, it's not ONLY a family gig!

Are games like Scrabble or Jenga or Backgammon off limits for the Maxwells? Are the games not Christian enough? There are Christian-themed board games. My mom had a couple she would drag out at family gatherings and try to make everybody play.

It's a carryover from Victorian times, when ... the legs of pianos and tables were covered by floor-length tablecloths/piano scarves lest they excite stimulation in young persons.

This is a complete myth. These things were just fashion at the time--if you look at photographs of Victorian homes, there are scarves and fringe on EVERYTHING. It doesn't have to do with sex, though. :)

Are games like Scrabble or Jenga or Backgammon off limits for the Maxwells? Are the games not Christian enough? There are Christian-themed board games. My mom had a couple she would drag out at family gatherings and try to make everybody play.
I suspect it's nothing in the games themselves that would be objectionable (though surely their house rules wouldn't allow swears in Scrabble, and possibly some games might cross some line on gambling).

The potential problem (if the games are in fact forbidden or restricted) is that when you're playing a game (i.e. have F-N for no particular purpose) you're not actively serving God by either working on some "ministry" or studying His Word. If you read all the old writings about scheduling and general attitudes on the use of the time, and the scripture quotes they use for all of it, they're big into the idea that merely forbidding bad things isn't enough, you need to positively be using every moment in religious activities because time's a wastin', you were created ONLY to serve God. Even perfectly innocent "play" is wasting time.

Death is coming, man!

Christopher and NRA.

Did Steve spank all the readers for not giving Chris/Anna (who is NOT called Anna Marie in real life) privacy to build their marraige? Maybe they've made noises about moving or something...oh wait! This is the Maxwells. Not happening. They'll soon announce they've repented for making moving farther away an idol........

Has anyone here actually read the Moody books? I've been tempted on one or two occasions to order one just to see if Sarah's grammar is as bad as it is on the blog.

I must've missed the part where NR-Anna's name was changed to Anna Marie because of R-Anna. Did they actually say that on the blog?

"Our children have grown up without television. They have enjoyed parental sheltering even in the toys they are allowed to play with. While some would mock such choices, (who could she possibly be referring to here?! I am stumped! :whistle: ) we are watching pure, wholesome, delightful children grow into the same kinds of adults."

So pure. So wholesome. So naive, so unexperienced, so sheltered and protected they can't even stand to attend church with regular people. omg

I think she probably only did that because R-Anna signed the quilt as well.

If I were doing a quilt in her situation (a gift for my MIL who calls me "Anna Marie," I'd sign it that way, too.

Archived