IGNORED

Atheist Feminist Egyptian Blogger poses Nude

Soldier of the One

I thought this article might be of interest to you all:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/19/world ... a-elmahdy/

Aliaa Elmahdy is a 20 year old media student/blogger who decided to take a stance against sexism in Egypt by posing nude. She identifies as a feminist and atheist and co-habits with her boyfriend in Cairo. The backlash of both Muslim and progressive groups in post-revolutionary Egypt has been incredible.

What an incredibly brave woman. I hope the discourse her actions spark will be fruitful and constructive.

For within her cultural framework her actions were radical, to be sure.

I am not sure whether her actions were or will be effective or not. It will be interesting to see whether her exposure shakes up Egyptian discourse around gender.

I found this an interesting answer to the question about practicing safe sex...

I do practice safe sex but I don't take pills because I am against abortion.

Do fundie Muslims believe that the pill causes abortions? or is she talking about the emergency Plan B product?

I am not sure what her beliefs are on that and whether she believes the contraceptive pill to be an abortifacient or not. As far as I know (moderate) Islam does not prohibit the Pill or other contraceptives a priori but I might be wrong about that.

She did write that she's a vegetarian so I am wondering if she has a general 'pro-life' attitude that informs her choice.

I am not sure what her beliefs are on that and whether she believes the contraceptive pill to be an abortifacient or not. As far as I know (moderate) Islam does not prohibit the Pill or other contraceptives a priori but I might be wrong about that.

She did write that she's a vegetarian so I am wondering if she has a general 'pro-life' attitude that informs her choice.

From the article.

I do practice safe sex but I don't take pills because I am against abortion.

It seems she believes the pill is an abortificant and doesn't use it because of that.

As for the other part, I can't say for certain since I'm sure it varies among Muslims, but everything I have encountered has so far said that hormonal or 'permanent' birth control is wrong. Other forms are ok though.

Archived