IGNORED

Christopher Maxwell Ex

WonderingInWA

This is the girl Christopher Maxwell was engaged to a few years ago. Can you imagine what a bullet she dodged? She is adorable and looks like fun! I know we've talked about her here before, but she just posted these photos and it reminded me of how lucky she is she got out when she did!

simplysanctified.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/fall-pictures/

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's very lucky. Another Sara, who know what "they" would have changed her name to. She's a pretty girl, fashionable, yet modest.

Did she dump him or did he dump her? Was a reason ever given?

I didn't realize that Christopher was the fiancée. Wow, she is clearly too cute and too high spirited to be a Maxwell. She dodged a missile.

Wait, I thought that the father of the young man pulled some strings with Dougie, then she was magically offered a nanny job far, far away. Am I confusing my broken courtships?

Can you fill us in with more backstory?

I agree, she looks way too spirited for the Maxwells. A lucky escape!!

She has two broken courtships. The one she talks about on her blog isn't Christopher. From what I remember about courting Christopher, they (gasp!) had a photo where they were hugging each other. None of this no touching until marriage stuff he did with NRAnna. Anyway, they were engaged for a little while and then Christopher posted to the blog that even though they loved each other, they realized together that their marriage would not be Of The Lord, whatever that means. He then got a whole bunch of comments praising Jesus that he kept his purity intact, which creeped me out.

I think he dumped her (well, his family dumped her) probably because she refused to wear a frumper. The details are sketchy and she's been engaged twice, so even if you go back and read her blog from around that time, it's hard to tell what happened. And from the Maxwell side of things, she was in photos with Christopher when they got engaged, the wedding was supposed to be in the Fall/October IIRC, and then there was nothing said when they broke up and the photos disappeared from the blog. Can't remember what year that was.

And yes, she's pretty, fashionable, and she has a job (althought she works for Bill Gothard, so she's a fundie, alright). But she's also traveled abroad and has more interesting things to talk about than burritos and buses. What's sad to me is that she got as far as being engaged to Christopher before realizing what an extreme bunch the Maxwells really are. Thank God she didn't marry him. At least NRAnna seems to just go with the flow, eagerly wears the frumpers that hide her defrauding waistline and curves, and covers up her ankles!

Guest Anonymous

I expect that Steve Maxwell feels that he dodged a bullet when that one was called off. She would have seriously messed with his head with her strident views and heels and make-up. I imagine Melanie gets on his tits at times, with her fancy cardigans and fashionable haircuts. Imagine the influence on Sarah and ReversalAnna if Sara had joined the family too. I doubt that shyness would be preached about as a violation of scripture if Sara were around - it would be held up as a blessing and virtue! :D

Are pics available in the wayback machine?

Excellent idea. Anyone know the year so we can narrow things down?

But I just jumped into the Wayback Machine for the hell of it now myself, and hey, you know what? Turns out that the Maxwells took an ACTUAL vacation to Colorado (not just "what some might call a vacation") in 1999 (when Mary was only 2). Better yet, there's PICS: http://web.archive.org/web/199910131030 ... lorado.htm :dance:

Interesting this is the very same place they just took their last family vacation, right down to the chipmonk place.

Yep. And from other postings on the Wayback Machine, it seems this is (or at least was) a yearly thing for them, right up to and including their very own cabin, kayaking, and chipmunks every year. So yeah, they totally take vacations.

She didn't dodge a bullet, she avoided nuclear war! If I was her I would be thanking God every minute of every day to not have become a member of Steve's misery cult!

Guest Anonymous
She didn't dodge a bullet, she avoided nuclear war! If I was her I would be thanking God every minute of every day to not have become a member of Steve's misery cult!

She probably is.

She DID dodge a bullet - but this is a girl who's smart, articulate, widely traveled, possibly multilingual, and at 28, probably unmarriageable in fundie circles. Which means that she's worthless, to their way of thinking. She's got all these brothers who are moving on with their lives, marrying and having kids, and she's just.....stuck. According to the way the fundies think, she's never going to be a grownup. She's going to be stuck at Beautiful Maidenhood forever.

That's sad, I think. Not that she should have married someone who wasn't right for her - or from a BATSHIT CRAZY FAMILY - but man, what it must be like to be an unmarried woman pushing thirty with two broken engagements in those circles.

I don't know which courtship/engagement she is speaking of here:

simplysanctified.wordpress.com/page/47/

I've read her on and off. I'm pretty sure she's got her own issues, but we all do, I guess. It's been a while since I've read her blog, and I have only ever read her sporadically. I read the first time when she was brought up here as a former possible Maxwell. As a side question, when was their courtship? While it's been talked about here, I don't recall ever picking up on the time frame.

Christopher (well, Daddy Steve) probably broke it off because she is far too worldly to be a Maxwell. She works; never mind for who, she goes to a paying job. She nannied for a while for kids she isn't related to. She participates in life and fun stuff and has friends that are not immediate family members. She wears real clothes instead of frumpers and jean skirts with polo shirts. She never would have been able to pull of the matching jumper thing of the Maxwell clan.

If it truly is god at work in these courtships, he worked ALL for Sara in that one when he decided a marriage between them wouldn't honor him. Probably because he gave a lot of spunk and spark to one and no will other than daddy's to the other and that will never work, godly or not. Whatever Sara's fundiness (and it's there, in spades) she is at least a human being living life like one and she would have died a slow, agonizing, mind numbing death in Maxwell land.

Christopher (well, Daddy Steve) probably broke it off because she is far too worldly to be a Maxwell. She works; never mind for who, she goes to a paying job. She nannied for a while for kids she isn't related to. She participates in life and fun stuff and has friends that are not immediate family members. She wears real clothes instead of frumpers and jean skirts with polo shirts. She never would have been able to pull of the matching jumper thing of the Maxwell clan.

And she calls her father Dad, not Daddy.

Are pics available in the wayback machine?

I like the commentary on the vacation pic Sarah was "real proud of" which must be posted by Nathan. He actually sounds like he was joking, normal relationship with his siblings back then. Of course, Sarah was still in ulgy frumpers, but at least they joked with each other and didn't just thank the lord for blessing them every other sentence.

And she calls her father Dad, not Daddy.

I call my father Daddy (but I refer to him as Dad in conversation with others). I think it's a Southern thing.

Isn't there a Staddon boy in her age that could match with her? The Staddons are also ATI and although they seem quite boring it's not like that don't have any fun at all..

Guest Anonymous

I got the impression that Sara's working/travelling life started after her failed courtships, and she and Christopher will have travelled quite divergent paths since then, with Steve becoming more cultish and Sara becoming more worldly. They probably had a lot more in common 8 or 9 years ago.

I think it was speculated here that the second courtee must have come from an ATI royalty family for Gothard to have got involved and offered Sara the job abroad. From Sara's own writing it look like she behaved in a stalkerish kind of way after the second courtship broke up (I don't blame her for flipping, BTW, if her account of the story is even half true). But shortly after she was asked to stop calling the ex repeatedly, she was whisked off to a 'special calling' in the Gothard ministry.

I feel for her, but she is still young enough to meet a fundie-lite, and she probably has the connections to do so, sooner or later, now that her family is being diluted by all the marriages going on.

Guest Anonymous

Excellent idea. Anyone know the year so we can narrow things down?

But I just jumped into the Wayback Machine for the hell of it now myself, and hey, you know what? Turns out that the Maxwells took an ACTUAL vacation to Colorado (not just "what some might call a vacation") in 1999 (when Mary was only 2). Better yet, there's PICS: http://web.archive.org/web/199910131030 ... lorado.htm :dance:

I didn't realise they 'owned' or had family connection to that cabin. I wonder if Teri's parents have been deliberately intervening to encourage the family to loosen up over the last few months. They were the ones that forced the issue of holiday by giving the trip as a gift to the family. They (Teri's parents) must be getting old and I wonder if they are worried for the family after they are gone, if Steve continues down his bizaare path.

I didn't realize that Christopher was the fiancée. Wow, she is clearly too cute and too high spirited to be a Maxwell. She dodged a missile.

Only if it were a same-sex courtship.

Fiancé is a man,

Fiancée is a woman.

;)

She seems quite free spirited compared to the Maxwell girls and daughters in law. I wonder if she was too enthusiastic about marriage for the Maxwells, making them pull the 'idol' card?

Archived