IGNORED

Christopher Maxwell Ex

WonderingInWA

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't get over the old Maxwell photos... They seem so happy and alive...

This.

Three things that jumped out at me: They went horse-riding. Sarah wearing leggings under her (ugly) skirt. The reference to the yellow brick road-once upon a time they must have watched the Wizard of Oz (it's got witches and magic. And it's, gasp, f*n). What were they thinking?

I can't get over the old Maxwell photos... They seem so happy and alive...

actually the pics make me so sad. They used to have fun. And then they killed their spirits.. please someone get them out!!!

I call my father Daddy (but I refer to him as Dad in conversation with others). I think it's a Southern thing.

Same here.

Same here.

OK, I guess a lot of adults do, and yes, maybe more so in the south. It just seems like lots of fundie bloggers overdo the word Daddy. I don't hear or see Mommy used much by adults about their Moms. I know some people use Mama. What's most common in the south?

Excellent idea. Anyone know the year so we can narrow things down?

But I just jumped into the Wayback Machine for the hell of it now myself, and hey, you know what? Turns out that the Maxwells took an ACTUAL vacation to Colorado (not just "what some might call a vacation") in 1999 (when Mary was only 2). Better yet, there's PICS: http://web.archive.org/web/199910131030 ... lorado.htm :dance:

Oh wow. Great find, GVC!

Thoughts;

You don't realize just how isolated and weird (weirder) they've become 'til you look at these pictures and read their comments.

First of all, I wonder who wrote the comments under each picture. They are actually light hearted and fun, and not in the current, stilted way the Maxwells write.

Teri has kind of cute hair (i know we've seen this 'do before on other threads). It's sort of a jolt to see Teri looking a little more modern.

They seem to be able to call this a vacation, rather than "what others would call...". Apparently they were allowed a little fun back in the day, and didn't need to justify it or feel guilty.

Christopher's looks haven't changed all that much in 12 years.

Steve has, unfortunately, become more and more, well, insane, and is taking his family right along with him.

Sad.

She's got a lovely singing voice! I want her to marry somebody! Thank God she dodged the Maxwell bullet, but she seems to really want to marry and have children. Hmmm. Maybe we need to start shopping for a husband for her.

OK, I guess a lot of adults do, and yes, maybe more so in the south. It just seems like lots of fundie bloggers overdo the word Daddy. I don't hear or see Mommy used much by adults about their Moms. I know some people use Mama. What's most common in the south?

I'm in Colorado, so not the south but my sisters and I called our parents Mommy and Daddy when talking to them or about them to each other. When talking to others about our parents it is more mom, mother and dad, father kind of thing. My mother called her parents who were from the south Mother and Daddy. My father from Colorado called his parents Mother and Dad. Also growing up we called our parents different things too. Like when I was a teen my parents were Mooootherrrr and Daaaaaad said in either a very shocked way or whiney way.

I am struck by the difference in the writing from that 1999 vacation post compared to the blog today. The old post seemed so much more normal than current posts. I wonder what they think when they read over their older postings?

Do you suppose the girls would be allowed to wear leggings under their frumpers now? I doubt it. Steve probably decided that it was wrong because females were still wearing male clothing, albeit under appropriate attire. Now the entire family probably just skips horseback riding.

Here they are back in the day...

8db6531hep48rict9z_thumb.jpg

They actually made a nice looking couple. Good thing they split as they gone in totally different directions. Hope she finds a nice fundie-lite guy.

Awwww in those pictures Honey is just a puppy! About 8 months old it appears, as I have a golden retriever and that's about what he looked like at 8 mos.

Sara is much too cute and fun for Christopher! I'm glad they split up!

As for the Daddy thing, it probably is a bit southern. My mom was a "Daddy's girl" and called my grandpa "Daddy" until the day he died; she was 58. However, I never remember calling my Dad "Daddy", but I have never been a Daddy's girl either. My dad is an engineer and has a distant, aloof personality. We were never close.

They actually made a nice looking couple. Good thing they split as they gone in totally different directions. Hope she finds a nice fundie-lite guy.

She cannot pull off a frumper. Maybe it's because I've only read her post-Christopher, so I've never seen her in frumper style clothing, but she is not made for them at all. (Then again, who is?) For all her beliefs that make my eyeballs bleed, she can pull off modesty without going back in time and going to the ugly. I don't even own a dress or skirt, which tells you how often I wear them, but I would wear a lot of the stuff she wears. I'm just glad her sense of style and personal taste/choice in clothing wasn't stomped out by becoming a Maxwell.

I agree she dodged a bullet but I don't really see what you guys do in her. Her writing is canned and feels almost rehearsed. She's been taught to write in a way that does not flow naturally. Also, comeon she works for the devil how great can she be? I agree though--she can't pull off the frumper and I can't believe they put her in one.

I agree she dodged a bullet but I don't really see what you guys do in her. Her writing is canned and feels almost rehearsed. She's been taught to write in a way that does not flow naturally. Also, comeon she works for the devil how great can she be? I agree though--she can't pull off the frumper and I can't believe they put her in one.

Well, she's brain-washed just like any fundie working for Gothard would be, but she just seems to have a little more spunk than most. And she wears shorter skirts and accessorizes, and travels abroad, and seems to have more enthusiasm than the other fundie women who can't manage life without a man. She lives by herself (I think) and not with her dad, and she seems smart. I don't find her writing any more "canned" than what could be expected from someone who buys in to the Gothard bullshit.

She has a nice smile, and seems stylish and not as holier-than-thou as many of the other fundies. But she should pull off that frumper! :lol: (well, looks like she did!)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the latest blog post from the woman Christopher Maxwell was engaged to. It's even a video! She seems really sweet and would never EVER have been happy being a Maxwell, but at one point in her message she talks about how easily it would be to become discouraged when things in her life haven't "panned out" and I feel really sad for her. Anyone else have any feelings about it?

simplysanctified.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/for-he-is-good/

Yes, she does seem like a genuinely nice person, even offering to pray for her blog readers (something I've never seen the Maxwells offer to do).

And I *sooooo* agree that she never would have been happy in Kansas as a Maxwell. She really dodged a bullet there.

She mentions working full-time. Outside the home, I presume? And of course teaching half-way round the world in China.

Can you imagine being able to do that as a Maxwell? Or even as a pre-Maxwell? They don't even allow their oldest daughters to go grocery shopping without another sister along.

And we've discussed this before, but I admire the way she can manage to look stylish and modest at the same time.

No, she and I probably wouldn't find a lot to agree on, but she is one of the less annoying fundies we discuss here.

I read her blog regularly but didn't watch her video b/c I don't have sound. did she have anything specific to say?

I had the idea her new job was going well.

Archived