IGNORED

Measle-y Meg

InkyGirl

I didn't know you could even get the measles anymore!

sarah-heartsdesire.blogspot.com/2011/11/measle-y-meg.html

Edit to break the link

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vaccination has made it less common, but hasn't eradicated it yet.

:( :mrgreen: :geek: :twisted: :ugeek: :!: :dance: (my six year old is keen on the smileys!)

They went to church with the kid before they knew it was measles. I hope they notify the local health department and keep their other kids home but I'm doubting that'll happen. I hope no one gets it and has complications :(

Dollars to donuts the whole church (probably all anti-vaxxers) has a measles outbreak. I wish that local health departments would sue the crap out of families that refuse vaccines then end up starting an epidemic.

It looks like the little girl who has Measles is under a year so she likely wouldn't have gotten the vaccine yet even if her parents did vaccinate. I pity any families that came into contact with them and either can't vaccinate or had kids too young to vaccinate for Measles.

Ugh. At least this was a good reminder for me to take my son to go get his flu and chickenpox vax this week.

I hope they notify too, measles is no joke for an immuno-suppressed child. My hubby stayed home from church with our kids yesterday because one of them had a rash we weren't sure about. Today I have a sick toddler and one of the others home from school with the same rash, which is probably chickenpox. (Not vaccinated for over here).

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/com ... qs-hcp.htm

First MMR is recommended at 12-15 months.

Measles can be a very serious disease. I am old enough to remember pre-measles vaccination. Measles has some very serious complications, including deafness, and encephalitis with resulting brain damage.

We have had the vax/no vax arguments here many times, so I will stop now.

I just went back and read the link in the OP.

..."we are glad that she has, what seems a mild case, and that she will now have lifelong immunity to this disease without the need of dangerous chemicals."

The "stupid" is just too much. Gah.

..."we are glad that she has, what seems a mild case, and that she will now have lifelong immunity to this disease without the need of dangerous chemicals."

One word: SHINGLES.

It doesn't sound like they've been to a doctor--what if they now assume she has immunity (due to exposure to a life-threatening disease as a wee bitty thing at an age where I'm Assuming it's uber-dangerous [assumption on my part that it's 'safer' to get if she were older] instead of 'chemicals' that aren't show to be harmful) and it's not measles?

That could be a BIG honkin deal if she thinks she's immune and isn't.'

(coming from someone whose 'lifelong' immunity to chicken pox was so swell that I got it twice...)

What about the pregnant women in the church? There was a big measles outbreak in the NYC area in 1963 and the following year, above average numbers of deaf babies.

I have a relative who was exposed to measles when she was pregnant, because of an anti-vaxer started outbreak. Luckily she didn't get it and the baby was fine, but where does all the pro-life stuff apply to other people's wanted pregnancies?

Oh wow. I love this from one of the comments on the Gardasil post - "I don't vaccinate, I ask them if they know the ingredients in them and I can treat my children w/natural remedies for any disease or virus that vaccinations are used for."

We really need a facepalm emoticon.

I think shingles is related to chickenpox, not measles. ;)

Exactly. I stand by my original post.

ETA: And even if we HAD been talking about chickenpox, people who had "natural" chickenpox were getting shingles for decades before a chickenpox vaccine was even created. Don't bother to ask how I know this.

It has nothing to do with "dangerous chemicals" :roll: from a vaccine.

Oh sorry, I think we were talking at cross purposes, because I wasn't clear. My children are all fully vaccinated as per the UK schedule, which at this time does not encompass chickenpox. The UK persists in regarding chickenpox as a mild childhood illness, almost a rite of passage, although I imagine the vaccine will be offered universally at some point.

That poor kid got measles because of thinking like her mom's. Never mind that she was young enough that she wouldn't have been vaccinated. She probably got it because of people not vaccinating. I'm always torn on cases like these. On the one hand, I don't really wish ill on a child who had no say in this issue. On the other hand, I would rather see non-vaccinating parents and their families get hit by the eventual odds of complications than families where the children don't get vaccinated or are otherwise immuno-compromised because of legitimate medical issues. If only there was a way to make the parents risk the odds of becoming deaf, brain damaged or dead.

Oh wow. I love this from one of the comments on the Gardasil post - "I don't vaccinate, I ask them if they know the ingredients in them and I can treat my children w/natural remedies for any disease or virus that vaccinations are used for."

We really need a facepalm emoticon.

for sure I mean why were there epidemics of we all had the cures right in our gardens?

+ one billion

"We're so glad that little Evangeline Cookiebaker has only a mild case of smallpox/rubella/mumps/whooping cough/polio/tuberculosis ..."

How can I catch some of their dumb luck? :evil:

I'm sure the mom consulted Dr. Google. :roll: To be fair, measles has a pretty distinctive appearance. There are not a lot of things that look like it.

If this 'herd' was immunized, the baby would probably never have caught it. These childhood diseases can be very serious in little children. They also can be serious in adults and pregnant women. It is unfortunate that these people are so careless with their health.

We had a whooping cough outbreak in my area's homeschooling community a few years ago. Several children ended up in the hospital. They all survived (which the parents saw as proof that vaxing is unnecessary) but a lot of them were very seriously ill. It's just a damn shame that small children have to suffer for their parents' ideals.

btw, that comment on natural remedies for contagious diseases makes me want to scream. If HPV could be cured by a natural remedy, many people would do that rather than getting cervical cancer ffs.

btw, that comment on natural remedies for contagious diseases makes me want to scream. If HPV could be cured by a natural remedy, many people would do that rather than getting cervical cancer ffs.
Aye, as someone who has had a brush with cervical cancer it's pretty infuriating that she would assume Gardasil to be so worthless. But then I guess that's what I "deserve" for being such a harlot and having a couple of sexual relationships before meeting my "Prince Charming."

How about this for parental stupidity:

Parents Warned About Mail Order Chicken Pox Lollipops

Authorities and doctors are warning parents who want to avoid chicken pox vaccines for their children that a new mail-order scheme to share lollipops licked by children infected with the disease as a way to create immunity in their kids is not only unsafe but illegal.

“Can you imagine getting a package in the mail from this complete stranger that you know from Facebook because you joined a group, and say here, drink this purported spit from some other kid?†U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee Jerry Martin told The Associated Press.

http://news.yahoo.com/parents-warned-ma ... 20241.html

Archived