IGNORED

Jewish Voice?

Lostie

I wasn't really sure where to put this, but since it kind of fits in with the Lina/Christians converting Jews stuff I figured this would be suitable.

So this morning I woke up in the wee hours of the morning and could not for the life of me fall back asleep. Fortunately, I sleep in the living room so I decided to just watch some television for a while. As I'm sure most of you know, television in the wee hours of the morning is... not interesting. So when I noticed something called Jewish Voice I though it might be interesting. I figured it would be some sort of show about Jewish cultures or traditions, something along a historical vein maybe.

So I turn the channel and am faced with an older, balding white man. I kind of shrug and start watching. I was only really have watching when I heard the keywords of Yeshua and Messiah. At this point I started to pay more attention. I ended up falling asleep soon after, but the show, what I saw of it, was a sort of fundraiser to pay for Christian missionaries to go and convert the Jews who, and I remember this quote since it was the one that made me say FJ needs to hear of this, "need to be saved more than anyone". They seemed to go converting other people too, but their primary interest was converting the Jews.

All the people they converted got their own bible or an audio bible and got to have prayer circles with them. It was a strange show. There was a website along with it, but I can't remember what it was unfortunately. So, were these people fundies? Is this 'save the Jews' thing a big thing in some circles? Has anyone else stumbled upon this show?

From the website that Soldevi posted, because even if it isn't associated with what Lostie is talking about (and I'm guessing it is) it's still a fun font of Messianic CRAZY:

Objection: 2.1. “If Jesus is really the Messiah, why isn’t there peace on Earth?â€

Answer: “According to the biblical timetable, things are right on schedule, and Jesus is doing everything the Messiah was expected to do up until this point. The problem is that you have an incomplete understanding of the biblical picture of the Messiah. According to the prophet Malachi, the Messiah would bring purification and purging before he brought peace. He would execute judgment before he established justice. Many consequences of his coming. This is written in our Hebrew Bible! For many of our people, his coming would be bad news, not good news. Our Scriptures also teach that the Messiah was to be a priestly King, like David. As a royal Priest, he came to make atonement for sins and offer forgiveness and reconciliation to Israel and the nations. As King, his dominion expands every day, as he rules over those who embrace him as Messiah. Soon he will return and establish his kingdom on the Earth, destroying the wicked and bringing world wide peace. So, what you expected to be the first act of the play will be actually be the final act!†(See Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, vol. 1, pp. 69-88.)

Aw, thanks for telling us that we're understanding it wrong! Us poor lost souls have been misunderstanding this for centuries and centuries. Or maybe you are understanding our beliefs wrong, you condescending twat.

ETA: Apparently this is a historical fact "4. Many people saw Him alive after His death." lolol. No offense to my Christian brethren, but this isn't a historical fact recorded in any reputable historical source. It merely a Biblical fact, which while does have some historical repute, is mostly a source of facts that must be taken on faith. Which is, of course, fine! That's the whole point, right? But it is, in no way, historical "fact".

I am getting increasingly annoyed with the deceitful tactics of certain missionary groups to convert us. Don't they realize they will never succeed?

I am getting increasingly annoyed with the deceitful tactics of certain missionary groups to convert us. Don't they realize they will never succeed?

The sad thing is that they DO succeed. There are so many Jewish people who don't have a very deep understanding of the Bible and so when this junk is presented and sounds logical, many do convert.

I hate it when Christians try to argue with Jews using the New Testament. It's like if the Hindus tried to convert based on the Bhagavad Gita (which is a better story, btw). There is no indication in the Old Testament that the Messiah would act/look/function like Jesus did.

It seems that early Christians were expecting a Messianic Age to occur. They were waiting for Christ to come back in their lifetime and actually fulfill the prophesies. Later, when this did not happen, the Messianic prophesies had to be reinterpreted to accommodate this. Things were re-written. Many equally valid Gospel accounts were left out because they did not mesh with the "new" interpretation. That just seems fishy to me. The New Testament was designed to explain away the holes in Christianity's most fundamental argument with Jews. I am not trying to pick on Christians here, merely offering an explanation of why the New Testament is not a great way of converting me.

The ONLY reason that some Christians care about converting Jews is that a certain number of Jews have to believe that Jesus is the Messiah before Jesus can come back. This is according to some wacked-out "prophetic" bullshit. Most of the Jews will just be slaughtered in some horrific bloodbath.

I noticed some "end-times" stuff on that Jewish Voice site. I've never understood why some folks are so eager for the world to end.

The sad thing is that they DO succeed. There are so many Jewish people who don't have a very deep understanding of the Bible and so when this junk is presented and sounds logical, many do convert.

Yeah. Isn't that a big problem in the FSU? And among elderly people who might not be as sharp and connected to their communities as they once were? Preying on those who have no support system, that's SO ethical.

I remember when I was six I tried to talk about Jesus to a Jewish social worker, still makes me feel ashamed just by remembering it. As I grew older and explored more, I asked myself what makes my Christian faith superior than others, can God really be that petty? can he only accept those who believe in him the 'true' way? I hope if Judgment Day ever comes, God will look down on those insecure missionaries.

Also I would like to say that even though we have different faiths (and that my fundie step-grandma insisted that Jews are held responsible for Jesus's death) I always believed that if it hadn't been for the Jews, we would have never known about the God of Abraham. And technically, we Christians are worshiping a Jewish God.

Yeah, it happens. I had an elderly lady try to convert (reconvert?) me to Christianity when I was in Melbourne over the High Holy Days. This was on Erev Yom Kippur, no less! I was hanging out on Bourke St. about an hour before I had to head to Kol Nidre, and this little old lady comes over asking, "Can I talk with you about Jesus?" I told her no thanks, obviously, and that I was Jewish and very happy to be, and she goes, "Oh, me too!" I don't know whether she really was or if it was a bid to snag someone Jewish. She spoke with a Russian accent, though, and asked me if I spoke Russian at one point, so I suspect she was Jewish but raised secularly in the USSR and then took up Christianity.

She asked me something like, "Do you believe in Jewish teachings?" and I told her of course I did. Then she started in on, "Oh, so did I, until I read the New Testament," and so on. I told her that I've already read the New Testament (true), and while I appreciated her concern, I wasn't going to be converting to Christianity on Yom Kippur. Or, uh, ever. She got the hint and backed off.

In retrospect, I wish I'd said something like, "Hey, you're Jewish? I'm going to Kol Nidre now- you should come! It's not too late to make teshuvah!" Wonder what the reaction would've been.

Its the challenge! I swear. They know that we think they're full of crap and they're so desperate to prove us wrong. I can't tell you how many times well meaning family members, distraught over my "renouncing Christ" and converting to Judaism claim that had THEY explained Christianity to me, I would still be a Catholic.

I remember when I was six I tried to talk about Jesus to a Jewish social worker, still makes me feel ashamed just by remembering it. As I grew older and explored more, I asked myself what makes my Christian faith superior than others, can God really be that petty? can he only accept those who believe in him the 'true' way? I hope if Judgment Day ever comes, God will look down on those insecure missionaries.

Also I would like to say that even though we have different faiths (and that my fundie step-grandma insisted that Jews are held responsible for Jesus's death) I always believed that if it hadn't been for the Jews, we would have never known about the God of Abraham. And technically, we Christians are worshiping a Jewish God.

Aww, just for the record, I am NEVER offended when little kids try to tell me about Jesus. I used to babysit some little kids (4, 5 and 6) who moved here from the deep south and were very Christian. I always thought they were totally adorable when they'd talk about Jesus! Honestly it doesn't even bother me when random people in a store or somewhere say "Jesus loves you!" I just think of it the way I think of Merry Christmas - hey, somebody is wishing me well! Hurrah! It only gets offensive when people get pushy.

Your post is very nice, thank you. :)

I used to send money to these people, back when I was a Pentecostal. They had a newsletter, back when we only had snail mail, and it had some stuff in it that I thought was great at the time.

The used to have shows on the Inspirational Network, back when Jim Bakker ran it, back when my parents watched that cable channel all the time.

I saw that thing once when renting a cottage with a TV. Goddamn there's some weird shit on freeview. I also discovered EWTN there, which merits a thread of its own.

I think there's an aspect of paranoia to it: if Jesus were truely the Jewish Messiah, then why are there still Jews? Better convert them so that we don't need to think any more.

Archived