IGNORED

Sister Wives 9: Tragedy with Garrison

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, ifosterkittens said:

@JermajestyDuggar

As for filming I can't imagine wanting to continue. The Brown family needs time and privacy to process. 

I believe they are filming Season 20. We are all so horrified it is hard to imagine tuning in to SW this fall to watch content 18 months behind real life. It is unimaginable they will make content out of Garrison's tragic suicide. But if they do, I hope it is geared to helping other families. Suicide in young people is so commonplace that it affects almost everyone through family, friendship or workplace. I hope there is a way to make something good come out of this loss.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Garrison’s death is very different from a car accident. People around them second guess everything they said or did. It’s extremely painful in not only the loss, but their own sense of “could I have done something?” Question for the rest of their lives.

So. Much. This. Fentanyl got my baby and yes, she was an addict, but the thought of suicide never leaves my mind because I just don't know. Either way, it's just a living hell of reliving every single moment of her entire life every single day. There's just no coming back from losing a child. Four years later, I function (ish) and some days are better than others, but there's just no going back to how "I used to be". I wouldn't wish any of this on my worst enemy. I know we really didn't "know" Garrison but I will say, this has probably affected me more than any other "celebrity's" death than any other. My heart bleeds for the entire family. It just entirely changes everything: your family, your dreams, your interactions and so on. So many should haves, could haves and would haves that I don't think you ever stop thinking about. 😔  I edited to add that hell would freeze over before anyone would film me through this. I seriously can't really even remember the first year after. I know I made it through, but to have cameras in my face? NO. To have cameras in my face now now? NO. 

Edited by TacoBellKimmy
  • Love 45

@TacoBellKimmy,   I did not know you had lost a daughter.  :hug:  You are so right.  I can't remember how I got through that first year after Katherine died, bit somehow I did. We will never get over the losses of our daughters, but we will get to where we can live again.  

• Love 31

@TacoBellKimmy I‘m so sorry you lost your daughter.

Damn this is sad. No parent deserves to go through this.

I had an old family member who unexpectedly lost her son. She was at an age where most of her peers had already died and didn’t wanna live after losing her son. Another family member apparently told her that she should pull herself together it‘s what her son had wanted. This struck me as unnecessarily cruel considering her age.

Luckily she died after some time. At the funeral, a picture formed in my head, I vividly saw her leaving this world, smiling and waving goodbye. I was sitting in church, smiling and feeling sad at the same time.

Edited by Smash!
  • Love 7

According to the police report which several press outlets have seen - Janelle reported to the police that Garrison and Kody were still estranged. 

• Sad 8
  • Thank You 1

16 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

I believe they are filming Season 20. We are all so horrified it is hard to imagine tuning in to SW this fall to watch content 18 months behind real life. It is unimaginable they will make content out of Garrison's tragic suicide. But if they do, I hope it is geared to helping other families. Suicide in young people is so commonplace that it affects almost everyone through family, friendship or workplace. I hope there is a way to make something good come out of this loss.

Yes, I believe Mykelti confirmed they were filming for the next season a while back. It wouldn't surprise me if TLC makes the decision to not air another season and end the show. They can review the footage they have already filmed, and see if they think it is worth airing, but they might decide to end the show with Christine and David's wedding episodes. I know I enjoyed seeing most of the "original 13" children (minus Gwen). Leon, Logan and Garrison didn't participate in the adult children's interviews nor were they directly involved in a scene being filmed (just seen in the background), but it was fun to know they all gathered to show their love and support for Christine. Christine's wedding episodes were probably the happiest/ most fun content we've seen in a while on the show. We know Christine, Janelle and Meri have all left Kody so I think we have a sense of closure on the parent relationships, and with Christine marrying David we have come full circle. The show started with Kody marrying Robyn and ended with Kody only married to Robyn. We don't really have any update on Robyn's children, as they've barely filmed the past few seasons (we had that ear piercing story line with Aurora and Kody). 

My guess is the "new" content they would have shown in season 19 would include Christine and David dating (we already saw the wedding folks), and possibly Gwen's engagement party (which I believe was filmed but caused a lot of drama to the point I've heard it's speculated Gwen wouldn't sign a release to film at her mom's wedding and that's why she missed Christine's wedding). Other than that I think it would be more of the same content we've seen the last few seasons, what is Janelle going to do for housing, the occasional check in with Meri, Janelle and Christine's children adjusting to the new normal of separated/divorced parents and conflict with Kody, Robyn blaming Christine for ruining her big picture, and Kody isn't at fault for any of the crummy relationships in his life. 

I don't see how it would be good for TLC to continue to air Kody's strained relationships with his children and ex-wives now that we as an audience know Garrison has passed. I think any type of conflict between Kody and any of his children or his ex-wives would really frustrate/hurt/sadden the audience. It may have even more people assigning blame to Kody, Kody and Robyn or others in the Brown family. I can't see many of the members of the Brown family wanting to be filmed after losing Garrison, and even if TLC has them contractually, I don't think it will resonate well with the viewers if it is clear the Browns are only filming because they legally have to. If TLC cares what I have to say, please be done with SWs and let the Brown family have their privacy. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

I could see it going either way, if it continues I hope that it can help others. I think if they cancel they need to do so in a way that doesn't contribute to stigma around suicide/promote feelings of shame. 

I hope if it continues that it can be done in a way that celebrates Garrisons legacy. 

I think that what could make cancellation more likely is that a lot of the older kids seem to want their privacy and this may be a catalyst for them to pull back from the show completely. They may also follow the lead of Janelle+Christine. 

I don't think K&R are popular enough to sustain the show w/out J+C and the older kids. While they are in no way responsible for what happened I do expect this will impact their popularity make them less likable. 

Surviving sister wives is making a charitable donation in Garrisons name. I liked that. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I noticed that Sarah with RealityTeaSquad has suspended her SisterWives rewatch with Reality Amanda and James.  She also had a very nice tribute video to him on YouTube.

• Upvote 3

I never watched or followed Sister Wives but it's so heartbreaking to hear of this suicide... and he was so young 😢 My heart goes out to him and those who truly loved him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I could see it going either way, if it continues I hope that it can help others. I think if they cancel they need to do so in a way that doesn't contribute to stigma around suicide/promote feelings of shame. 

I hope if it continues that it can be done in a way that celebrates Garrisons legacy. 

I think that what could make cancellation more likely is that a lot of the older kids seem to want their privacy and this may be a catalyst for them to pull back from the show completely. They may also follow the lead of Janelle+Christine. 

I don't think K&R are popular enough to sustain the show w/out J+C and the older kids. While they are in no way responsible for what happened I do expect this will impact their popularity make them less likable. 

Surviving sister wives is making a charitable donation in Garrisons name. I liked that. 

Misery, heartbreak, outrage, extreme emotion and raw grief are reality TV gold, so I imagine TLC will want to continue filming. R&k have notorious spending habits and SW is their primary income. It appears SW has already taken a toll on Kody's mental health, so calling will come at a copy to his well-being. I guess everyone has both choices and reasons whether to continue filming.

• Upvote 4

Janelle shared a lovely photo of her with her six children (and their significant others and children) at Christmas (presumably of 2023). I am glad Janelle, and her children had that time together and took the picture. They also gathered in October 2023 for Christine's wedding. 

Christine shared a video on instagram of Garrison building a flower bed for Truely with the heartwarming caption "Garrison was a wonderful, caring brother who understood Truely's need for a hobby and built her a flowerbed," Christine wrote alongside the timelapse clip. "We'll miss him forever. #gratitude #missyou #loveyou #tellthoseyoulovethatyoulovethem." 

I just wanted to share for anyone who might not have seen them.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 10

Maddie shared a post for those that would like to see. Maddie shared a picture, a quote about grief from Jamie Anderson and wrote: "My words seem to fall short. Our hearts our broken and we are now swallowed with the love now left behind for this beautiful brother," Madison wrote, adding, "God be with you till we meet again. I’ll see you at the gates of Valhalla, feasting with our ancestors who battled before you. Until then, we must live in a more gray world without the light you brought."

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 6

Those are precious memories the shared.  I am glad they are able to remember the good times.  I also hope that if they are angry, they get angry.  If sad, they get sad.  If happy, be happy. I hope they allow their grief to grieve.  I hope they go into real therapy.  They will ALL need it. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I have to say I am surprised and impressed.  Garrison's funeral was apparently on the 9th and the Browns were able to keep to it private.  Good for them.  I hope they were able to rely on each other for support.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 8

6 hours ago, TN-peach said:

I have to say I am surprised and impressed.  Garrison's funeral was apparently on the 9th and the Browns were able to keep to it private.  Good for them.  I hope they were able to rely on each other for support.

I’d love to think that coming together for the heartbreaking experience of Garrison’s funeral could lead to a new spirit within his family. Some need to make apologies, some need to be willing to accept apologies. We don’t know to what level the fractures in his family led to Garrison ending his life, perhaps a great deal or perhaps very little. May those involved care more about providing their children with a more loving, less stressful family than engaging in destructive behavior that ends up causing pain and scars to the 18 children. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Merry One said:

Some need to make apologies, some need to be willing to accept apologies. We don’t know to what level the fractures in his family led to Garrison ending his life, perhaps a great deal or perhaps very little.

Only Garrison knows why he made the decision he made. His family and good friends may have some insight, but ultimately only Garrison knows. 

As a viewer (knowing I don't have the entire story) I feel there are people in the Brown family who owe others genuine heartfelt apologies. I do not think it is as simple as some need to be willing to accept apologies. There are deep hurts (at least that's my perception as a viewer) that don't magically get erased or lessen because tragedy struck. I hope everyone in the Brown family seeks therapy. Those that are hurting from previous hurts (prior to losing Garrison) I hope they can work with a therapist to process those emotions and decide if they wish to accept an apology if one is offered. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

The local shelter that Garrison adopted his cats from are naming the cat adoption room in his memory. They have received thousands of dollars in donations in Garrison's memory.  I thought that was a really sweet gesture. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 9

What is this I heard on Tuff Topic? Our favorite villainess Robyn is refusing to film. Everyone knows she fanned the flames of Kody's rift with his sons, so she has been "attacked". Did she forget she doesn't have another job to fund her shopping? I wonder if she's still under contract and could get sued by TLC.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

What is this I heard on Tuff Topic? Our favorite villainess Robyn is refusing to film. Everyone knows she fanned the flames of Kody's rift with his sons, so she has been "attacked". Did she forget she doesn't have another job to fund her shopping? I wonder if she's still under contract and could get sued by TLC.

I watched the Tuff Topic video you mentioned. The video said Season 19 filming is already complete and includes the birth of Mykelti's twins, Christine dating David, Robyn and Kody take a trip to Vegas. The voice narrating the video she said reached out to two family members that confirmed Robyn is not filming full time for future seasons. It seems unclear if she will pop in a scene with Kody or will not film at all. I heard no mention of how Robyn not filming would affect her children's filming. 

My guess is the Browns were in the process of signing for Season 20 filming, and Robyn could make the choice to not film. Frankly it feels like she was only part time in Season 18, and her scenes were all about the family falling apart. While many story lines bleed over from season to season and are beyond dragged out, she can't just continue to complain about the Brown family falling apart. She's had no new story lines the past few seasons, and her children rarely film. If Robyn doesn't film, she shouldn't get paid. I don't think TLC pays children, only parents, so I don't know if Robyn or Kody would get paid if any of Robyn's children film, maybe they just pay Kody that portion. 

Robyn is smart enough to know many viewers did not like her the past few seasons, and felt she was part of the reason for the rift Kody has with many of his children. I imagine the comments that were addressed to her, not just to Kody after Garrison's passing were ruthless.

Maybe Robyn is struggling, maybe she doesn't want to have people continue to hold her accountable, or maybe a combination of several things. I bet Robyn saw people quickly found clips of her taking the personality test she told Suki in the One on One that Christine must have taken it on her behalf because she never took it and was proven a liar. I don't see a way she can really redeem herself with viewers, and maybe she thinks her best option it to stop filming. I don't know how she would plan to make up the financial difference. I would love to hear Meri, Janelle and Christine who have all had side hustles in additional to filming for years tell Robyn time to get another job! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

40 minutes ago, ifosterkittens said:

I would love to hear Meri, Janelle and Christine who have all had side hustles in additional to filming for years tell Robyn time to get another job! 

I would love to hear Kody tell Robyn she needs to get another job!

• I Agree 3

The SisterWives subreddits have pictures from Garrison's National Guard memorial service that the National Guard released on their Facebook page.  The pictures are heartbreaking.  The boys are devastated.  Janelle is crushed.  Many of the kids wore Garrison's Hawaiian shirts or floral ties.  Christine was wearing one of his shirts.  Garrison was properly remembered for his service.  He recieved a 21 gun solute and Janelle was presented with the flag.  The pictures are not safe for work if you are an ugly cryer like me.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

They are so sad. And I thought it was so cold the way Kody didn't even sit with Janelle while they buried their son. Ugh. I'm hoping that was Janelle's choice and not his. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, viii said:

They are so sad. And I thought it was so cold the way Kody didn't even sit with Janelle while they buried their son. Ugh. I'm hoping that was Janelle's choice and not his. 

If I was Janelle I would rather have Hunter comforting me than Kody.  Kody looked numb and I don't think he could have supported her.  Hunter - my God poor Hunter's face - he was there emotionally for his mom.  Hunter also looked like he realized when it is his turn someone will be presenting a flag to his mom again if he doesn't marry his girlfriend.

Janelle was surrounded by her boys.  I do wonder why Savannah was waaaaaay down at the other end? David separated Christine and Kody because that's kinda guy David is (my speculation).  But I do wonder why didn't Kody sit next to his own mom?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

The look on Leon's face in one of the photos is absolutely gut wrenching. The Hawaiian shirts and ties were such a beautiful gesture (especially from David who is the newest member of the family) 

I hope that the family (or at a minimum Janelle and her kids), were ok with the photos being posted. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3