IGNORED

Younger People Visiting Libraries

47of74

Some good news about public libraries.

The Marion Public library sees visitors of all ages, but staff say they’re seeing evidence of a national trend. A new study from the American Library Association shows younger generations are getting excited about public libraries.

“There was a worry at one point that libraries were dwindling or not being utilized as much, but I think especially in our space, we’re seeing that revitalization,” says Marion Public Library Patron Services Manager Bob Reynolds.

The study says more than half of Gen Z and Millennials visited a physical library in the past year. It also says despite growing up in an increasingly digital environment, Gen Z, identified as ages 13-25, prefer print books, and read an average of 2 each month.

It made me think of this Sean Connery quote that people of my generation and younger will be able to tell culture warriors like DeSatan, CovidKim, Fuck Face, and et al when asked why we turn to books for human knowledge, ""It tells me that goose-stepping morons like yourselves should try READING books instead of BURNING them!"

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I'm glad to hear this. I don't get into my library as often as I used to, but I try to get there at least once a month. I was there just the other day, dropping off a couple of books, picking up a new one (the latest Ken Follett. yay!), and also dropping off some magazines for their 'free' pile. I still go to the same little branch library I've been going to since I was 9 years old. If it ever closes, I will probably lose my will to live.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a millennial who really uses the public library. Mine offers art classes, job seekers support, language classes, free dinner for teens and kids, in addition to books, movies/tv show rentals, book clubs. The library is such a good resource for people without much money. 

• Upvote 5