IGNORED

Washington Post series on homeschooling

bea

I read it. I’m not one usually inclined to violence but my god, I have never wanted to smack anyone upside the head as badly as I do those parents. WTF is wrong with people?!? My daughter’s safety is worth more than anything to me, and I am seething at these idiots who willingly exploit their children. 

• Upvote 11

9 hours ago, bea said:

Like I said, I'm just going to keep gifting interesting articles that relate to what we talk about here, and people can request gift articles if they like - I get ten per month for each paper.

They're good articles, if not absolutely horrifying. Thanks for sharing them here.

• I Agree 4

That was absolutely horrifying! How can parents be so stupid as to sexualize their own children for profit and not get that this is harmful? 

• Upvote 6

On 2/24/2024 at 3:09 AM, treehugger said:

I read it. I’m not one usually inclined to violence but my god, I have never wanted to smack anyone upside the head as badly as I do those parents. WTF is wrong with people?!? My daughter’s safety is worth more than anything to me, and I am seething at these idiots who willingly exploit their children. 

I don't know if I been more disgusted by the parents who sell their children online or by the men who buy that and leave these vile messages. But I'm not surprised with that. There where always parents who sold their kids, with social media it's just way easier to get them together. I'm more surprised who some of these parents are so clueless. And I'm getting really angry at companies like Meta who provide these plattforms and do almost nothing against these scumbags. They have all the data, but just shrug their shoulders. Disgusting

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

And on top of all of that are these "boy moms" , who might be said to be a little too attached to their sons .  

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

This story is sort of in the same series. This homeschool mom got onto the school board hoping to stop "wokeness" and ensure that children are taught that the US is a Christian nation. Hopefully she's starting to realize she doesn't actually know much about what goes on in schools. https://wapo.st/4cjtVfN

Edited by NachosFlandersStyle
Typo
  • Thank You 8

14 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

This story is sort of in the same series. This homeschool mom got onto the school board hoping to stop "wokeness" and ensure that children are taught that the US is a Christian nation. Hopegully she's starting to realize she doesn't actually know much about what goes on in schools. https://wapo.st/4cjtVfN

Wow, that’s a very hopeful article.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

This story is sort of in the same series. This homeschool mom got onto the school board hoping to stop "wokeness" and ensure that children are taught that the US is a Christian nation. Hopefully she's starting to realize she doesn't actually know much about what goes on in schools. https://wapo.st/4cjtVfN

I think a lot of the people in the audience screaming and cussing at school board meetings would learn a lot by just experiencing what it’s like to be on a school board. 

• I Agree 4

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think a lot of the people in the audience screaming and cussing at school board meetings would learn a lot by just experiencing what it’s like to be on a school board. 

I really liked the comment from her fellow board member that it can be a good thing to have her there, because she can be a point of contact with the demographic that would usually be stewing in misinformation and then cussing at the board. Let's hope she's right.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

16 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I really liked the comment from her fellow board member that it can be a good thing to have her there, because she can be a point of contact with the demographic that would usually be stewing in misinformation and then cussing at the board. Let's hope she's right.

I personally try not to cut contact with people I completely disagree with politically. I have many family members who were sucked in by MAGA. I won’t shame anyone who cuts contact for their own mental health. But I will say it’s better for me to stay in contact with them because that way they don’t see all liberals as exactly the same. It’s easy to lump them into a monolith if you never interact with any. It’s also good for me to see why they are believing the bullshit trump spews. I can’t completely cut myself off and put myself in a liberal bubble. I sometimes watch Fox News so I can see what is being said. What fear they are pushing now. Because it’s what they do most. Push fear. And that article basically said the same thing. The woman featured lived in fear. And I hope being on a school board will show her she really doesn’t have as much to fear as she was taught be right wing shills. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

On 3/18/2024 at 1:51 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I personally try not to cut contact with people I completely disagree with politically. I have many family members who were sucked in by MAGA. I won’t shame anyone who cuts contact for their own mental health. But I will say it’s better for me to stay in contact with them because that way they don’t see all liberals as exactly the same. It’s easy to lump them into a monolith if you never interact with any. It’s also good for me to see why they are believing the bullshit trump spews. I can’t completely cut myself off and put myself in a liberal bubble. I sometimes watch Fox News so I can see what is being said. What fear they are pushing now. Because it’s what they do most. Push fear. And that article basically said the same thing. The woman featured lived in fear. And I hope being on a school board will show her she really doesn’t have as much to fear as she was taught be right wing shills. 

I would agree that engaging in civil discourse can be positive , as long as it is in good faith , and constructive .  If however it is not argued in good faith , then I feel that it might be best to disengage , as much as possible .  Now in my case , as due to personal circumstance I still currently remain as an adult dependent of my parents , both of whom have turned into these Trump Republican minions , I have little to no choice in the matter . I just have to try to maintain suitable lines of communication , as best I can do to get through to them as necessary , when appropriate .  It can be frustrating though when , though I try so hard to be well thought out and fact based , they seem to be so altogether faith based in their approach to things , even when it's a misplaced faith in things that don't even pertain to God .  Also it hurts somewhat when they say personally derogatory things about Democrats , even though they know that I myself am a registered Democrat .   I mean they should consider that not all Democrats are necessarily like the negative caricature that the right-wing propagandist media makes us all out to be .  But I suppose that such a black and white , us vs. them mindset is typical of such a dogmatic religio-political movement , such as that of Trump , and the like , so I shouldn't be so shocked by it . 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4