IGNORED

Int'l House of Prayer Kansas City, Mike Bickle, abuse accusations

Howl

Mike Bickle, a leader of the International House of Prayer in Kansas City (IHOPKC), has been accused by multiple women of sexual infidelity over the years.  

Christianity Today:  House of Prayer Founder Mike Bickle Accused of Sexual Abuse  Former IHOPKC leaders bring forward what they say are credible allegations from several women over decades of ministry.

<snip>

"The leaders who released the statement—former executive leadership team and board members Dwane Roberts and Brian Kim, along with former Forerunner Christian Fellowship pastor Wes Martin—said they first attempted to bring the allegations directly to Bickle, as the Bible instructs in Matthew 18. They said Bickle refused to meet with them and then tried to intimidate and discredit the victims."

Bickle and others at IHOPKC are employing standard operating procedure:  deny, intimidate discredit, SATAN!, warn against spreading gossip, the usual. This twitter thread discusses what's going on.  For *reasons*, Xitter won't unroll threads anymore. I'll try to copy and paste the rest of Holly Hope's thread below this tweet: 

#MikeBickle was allowed by #IHOPKC leadership to preach at the end of Oct in the days before allegations were made public. His sermon was wrought with manipulative linguistic strategies and implicit, under-encoded communication. This was delivered knowing what was to come. 

In the first few mins of his sermon, he talks about a preemptive strike against the enemy, how Satan is the accuser, using “weapons against the body of Christ.” Later he gets into “betrayal culture exploding in the family of God” (50:00), using verses from David’s perspective.

Take a look at some screenshot samples of how calculated, manipulative messaging can work, and what #IHOPKC leadership permitted to take place on that day, knowing what was to come:  (sorry, can't copy these images)

The week before that, David Sliker, president of @IHOPU  #IHOPKC preached a sermon titled, “The Rise of Harlot Babylon: Power, Seduction, and the True Face of Evil.” Coincidence?

The initial statement from #IHOPKC leadership (https://youtube.com/watch?v=6I0YVTrfL2Q…) seemed somewhat benign at face value, especially for those in the congregation, who are likely victims of undue influence, identified through the influence continuum and BITE model of authoritarian control, explained here: 

Before Dr. Michael Brown’s sermon this past Sun & before #IHOPKC leadership’s updated statement, lead pastor Isaac Bennett told the congregation, “I would advise you to stay off of social media….” (2:16) Brown later said public speculation was “doing the devil’s work (1:03:25) /7

Many picked up on the problematic nature of the updated leadership statement: (go listen to Season 4 of  @heavenbentpod for a deeper look at why appears to be unhealthy, toxic, & a spiritually abusive environment at #IHOPKC including previous improper handling of abuse claims). 

Dr. Brown started w a “lighthearted” story about how a married couple blaming each other for all their problems were both “absolutely right” (19:32). Later Prov 6:19 & Prov 5, incl. v3: “for the lips of the adulterous woman drip honey, & her speech is smoother than oil” (59:25).

“…if there are others who have grievances, accusations, you are being asked to come forward IN THE RIGHT WAY, make things known to leaders, & those things will be passed on to those who can do an outside investigation….” (32:21) He then moves to Prov 6 about the lying tongue.

Apparently THE RIGHT WAY (emphasis mine) is for victims to approach #IHOPKC leaders in order to get their info passed along? The very leaders who are at the very least enabling this whole abusive structure? The very leaders who technically are under the authority of Bickle? 

Other mentions in Brown’s sermon include moral failures, a fellow pastor who “ended up committing adultery” (1:01:29), the “terrible scandal” of Ravi Zacharias yet “when he spoke truth, that was God’s truth” (41:26) /12…with much time spent on diversionary tactics such as telling the congregation “we’ve got to search our own lives” (56:30), and how “we are in a war” (53:00). He recently clarified his role, while still referring to ACCUSERS.

Is it yet clear how (alleged) victims r already vilified, marginalized, discredited through-n-through before more of the story unfolds? Everything will be inaccurately framed as an affair instead of calling it what it is: abuse, harassment, assault, w factors of coercive control. We need to be talking a lot more about the existing elements of coercive control at spiritually abusive churches, and in particular the effects and implications of coercive control inextricably intertwined in clergy sexual abuse of adults.

The worship team closed with “may the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to You my God.” A classic manipulative tool reminds followers to watch their words, “opinions,” and that God is watching it all. Brown posted this hours after delivering the sermon…"I've been following the Lord now for 52 years and he's never once asked me my opinion" …and engaged in some subsequent online exchanges displaying his ignorance of investigations into alleged abuse, and his inability to engage with women on a basic level without implying that women are viewed as dangerous to engage with 1:1. How does he shepherd them?

Overall manipulative themes #IHOPKC leadership has displayed: diversion, sin-leveling, thought-stopping cliches, gaslighting, DARVO, etc. They now announced a law firm change for the “independent” investigation. Why not hire GRACE or similar org? SO. MANY. RED. FLAGS. /End

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 5

First of all when I saw this in the newspaper for the first time I was not at all surprised. There has always been something off about the whole ministry.  Second of all, this is getting press attention here in Kansas City and that is a good thing.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, KSmom said:

Second of all, this is getting press attention here in Kansas City and that is a good thing.

Is it major coverage? I certainly hope so. 

IHOPKC is in major CYA mode.  There is pressure building for a transparent investigation, and management is parsing out how to appear transparent without actually being transparent.  If they wanted to be transparent, they'd have GRACE on speed dial. 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Howl said:

Is it major coverage? I certainly hope so. 

IHOPKC is in major CYA mode.  There is pressure building for a transparent investigation, and management is parsing out how to appear transparent without actually being transparent.  If they wanted to be transparent, they'd have GRACE on speed dial. 

It has. The KC Star has had three stories, following new developments. And the local news has had a number of stories as well. Yesterday’s paper said that IHOP has changed the law firm that will be investigating but the newspaper has mentioned former members calls to bring in GRACE and their dissatisfaction with the way it is being handled by leadership.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

Update from KMBC news tonight- IHOP has not yet released the name of the legal firm that they have hired. Former members are expressing concern with that, citing victim’s lack of resources in being able to get their own legal representation.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

On 11/15/2023 at 5:08 PM, KSmom said:

Update from KMBC news tonight- IHOP has not yet released the name of the legal firm that they have hired. Former members are expressing concern with that, citing victim’s lack of resources in being able to get their own legal representation.

and 

11 hours ago, KSmom said:

Another news report tonight. IHOP put out a report today. They still won’t identify their attorney or bring in a third party group. This article sure sounds like a whole lot of nothing by IHOP

My money is on IHOPKC leadership/Mike Bickle having hired a high-powered reputation management firm who is "guiding" them through the process.  Sadly, it will be different day/same sh*t with these yahoos until it's obvious that they can't keep the lid on. Or maybe they will start spreading enough money around to buy silence. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Today’s KC Star

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article281979273.html

What a mess it all is. I think a third party definitely  will have to be brought in to get to any kind of truth.

personal comment here - I’ve never been to IHOP but have known people who have and between that and talk around town, Mike Bickle has always seemed creepy to me. My husband made the same remark.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

36 minutes ago, KSmom said:

I think a third party definitely  will have to be brought in to get to any kind of truth.

GRACE is the obvious choice for transparency, but not the preferred choice for people who want it all to blow over and get back to business as usual.  

Wonder who has been covering for Mike Bickle,  or if Bickle's harassment and womanizing was just an open secret. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Howl said:

GRACE is the obvious choice for transparency, but not the preferred choice for people who want it all to blow over and get back to business as usual.  

Wonder who has been covering for Mike Bickle,  or if Bickle's harassment and womanizing was just an open secret. 

There may be a conflict of interest for GRACE because one of their board members is the legal representative for one of the women in the report. I agree there is a whole lot of CYA going on. 

• Thank You 4

From today’s paper-

“A 2019 report of an independent investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against an IHOPKC staffer warned leaders that additional allegations against others associated with the ministry had surfaced that needed to be immediately investigated.”

The independent investigation was done by GRACE about a staffer, not Bickle. Their recommendations were not followed and that staffer is still a missionary at IHOP. The report also recommended overall changes needed and allegations that needed to be pursued. Those weren’t done.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article282136928.html#storylink=cpy

• Thank You 5

• 3 weeks later...

In today’s Kansas City Star Bickle has released a statement with a very vague confession to a 20 year ago inappropriate behavior. 

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article282963628.html

Also on Julie Roy’s website she has a statement from the main victim’s attorney about why they won’t be cooperating with the investigation being done by the group brought in by IHOP KC. Basically, this firm has a history of defending clergy and churches against misconduct allegations.

https://julieroys.com/alleged-victim-mike-bickle-wont-participate-ihopkc-investigation/

• Thank You 7

Just read that Julie Roys article this morning. Interesting scenario: Rather than IHOP doing a truly independent investigation (with a group like GRACE), they hired a law firm with (as you say) a history of getting the organization exonerated. And so the victim in this case engaged Boz Tchividjian (of GRACE) to represent them. And Boz has the credibility to say, look, that law firm isn't going to do an independent investigation, so my client isn't going to participate.

“Why would reported victims of sexual abuse and misconduct sit down with an attorney from a law firm who represents churches and then brags about their successes?” Tchividjian wrote in a statement to TRR.

If GRACE can't do the investigation, to me this is the second-best choice. Expose what they're doing and refuse to cooperate with it. I agree with Boz; any time I see a church or org. retain a law firm for an investigation, that tells me what outcome they're seeking beforehand. It will not be independent.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday’s paper-

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article283459528.html

Mike Bickle has been permanently removed from IHOPKC.  Also, the executive director of IHOPKC has stepped down, no reason given. The article by Julie Roys was referenced and the issues the victims have with cooperating with the investigation with the current firm employed by IHOPKC. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

• 1 month later...

It seems that if one doesn't have a blue checkmark one can't unroll a twitter thread. 

Anyway, for all y'all twitterati:  @jennychohn1 is on it on Twitter. This thread references the Kansas City article as well, but much more information.  Please note that the problem with Bickle et al. is (let's say it together now)  SATAN!  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

• 4 weeks later...

On Twitter, Jedidiah Hartley is calling out his father as a complete fraud. 

Full text of the Twitter thread under the spoiler

Spoiler

I have never known how to address this publicly, but it has become clear that is time for me to speak up

My dad, Bob Hartley, who has been an influential prophetic figure in both #IHOPKC and #Bethel church is a complete fraud. His prophetic ministry has always been a con. 

For decades his process has been the same. He gets specific information about people, either through online searches, church directories, or most commonly, through conversations with pastors of local churches, and then he pretends as if he is diving this info. 

Several leaders have knowingly enabled this con for decades. Among many, Bob Fraser, former leader of #IHOPKC’s Joseph company, knew about the grift yet kept encouraging my father’s prophetic ministry, and told me to let it go when I objected. 

For years I did let it go.

I knew it was wrong, but I thought it was bringing about good results. Hundreds of people have shared wonderful testimonies to me about my dad’s prophecies changing their lives, and I just never had the heart to tell them the truth. 

However, I believe it’s time for the truth to come out. While many some lives may have changed for the better, my father has used the authority he has garnered from his prophetic ministry to manipulate and abuse people, including his own wife and children. 

Over the next few months I will be sharing many of the painful details of my fathers abuse to expose just how dangerous the prophetic con can really be.

It breaks my heart to do this, but I have been covering for my dad my entire life and it’s time for the truth to be told. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 11

• 1 month later...

A couple of things: Mike Bickle is no longer associated with IHOP, they parted ways a few months ago. That’s doesn’t change how disgusting it is that the leadership that remains thinks that it can just rebrand itself and go on. Among many disgusting things about the whole thing this quote got me, “He said IHOPKC accrued “some pretty significant financial challenges,” with expenses outpacing revenue by about $500,000 a month.” Referring to the past 6 months since the scandal broke. That is sooo much money! My husband and I do community development work in KC and what we (and other community organizations) have to go through to fund food pantries, after school programs, etc.  It is like that everywhere I know, I just have zero tolerance for these charlatans.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article287727480.html#storylink=cpy

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, KSmom said:

A couple of things: Mike Bickle is no longer associated with IHOP, they parted ways a few months ago. That’s doesn’t change how disgusting it is that the leadership that remains thinks that it can just rebrand itself and go on. Among many disgusting things about the whole thing this quote got me, “He said IHOPKC accrued “some pretty significant financial challenges,” with expenses outpacing revenue by about $500,000 a month.” Referring to the past 6 months since the scandal broke. That is sooo much money! My husband and I do community development work in KC and what we (and other community organizations) have to go through to fund food pantries, after school programs, etc.  It is like that everywhere I know, I just have zero tolerance for these charlatans.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article287727480.html#storylink=cpy

This is actually a really good article!

I find it interesting that the organization thought about continuing on without Bickle but couldn't because "It’s very connected to who he is, and the anointing that is on his life...And those things are very inseparable." Yeah dude, it sucks when the church is really just one person. I have no use for any religion, but I have even less use for a "church" that was so all about one person that it falls apart when that one person leaves.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

I worked at FCA headquarters in kansas city for a brief period of time. Our team was all encouraged to go on an after-work trip to the IHOP prayer room. I chose not to go and I was the only one. But the (now insane) church I grew up in had been tied to Bickle early on and I'd always had a negative impression of him based on some weird prophecy stuff that people called him out on in the 90s. That said, my childhood church ended up back with IHOP and hired tons of their "graduates." Thankfully my parents are out now.

• Upvote 3

On 4/16/2024 at 1:34 PM, clueliss said:

Bickle will be closing the organization's doors and opening a new, smaller organization.  (Because a name change will obscure the toxic, slimy ick no doubt)

Another motivation was apparently to limit legal liability, but Julie Roys quotes Boz Tchividjian from GRACE:

Boz Tchividjian, an attorney who represents multiple Jane Does who’ve accused Bickle of clergy sexual abuse, told TRR that IHOPKC is in “fantasyland” if it thinks closing down and starting a new organization protects its assets from lawsuit. To try to do so would be “fraudulent,” Tchividjian said.

In their latest communication they're telling their donors: We're not closing! We're just reorganizing. OK then. https://julieroys.com/embattled-ihopkc-still-asking-donations-denies-plans-close/

• Thank You 4