IGNORED

Dillards 94: After Counting the Cost

Coconut Flan

On 2/21/2024 at 12:53 PM, Meggo said:

I always thought it was Mothers Always Bring Extra Love. Which I always loved the idea behind (but hated the name). 

You might be right. I'm going off memory, which lately, is like teflon. :) 

On 2/22/2024 at 3:47 AM, Honey Beach said:

Mothers And Babies Equals Love. I thought the name was hideous and couldn't believe they used it. Recently my nephew & wife named their little girl Emilia, which I thought was awful and old ladyish. But, it's grown on me and we just call her Emmy.

I remember that episode and I remember it as being M others A lways B ring E xtra L ove. Mandela moment 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I remember that episode and I remember it as being M others A lways B ring E xtra L ove. Mandela moment 

Well, the article I quoted upthread agrees with you...

ETA -- I tried to find a video clip, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore. Found this gem, though:

Spoiler
Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Eta
  • Upvote 3

On 2/12/2024 at 9:37 AM, livinginthelight said:

This might be a very unpopular opinion, but Grease has always made me cringe. It's nice that Sandy and Danny were willing to move out of their comfort zones for each other, but why does the ending celebration have to be Sandy casting off her former identity and turning into a stereotypical sex symbol? 

I like some of the music but have hated the movie since release.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I like some of the music but have hated the movie since release.

John Travolta has had serious creeper vibes since day one.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

John Travolta has had serious creeper vibes since day one.

I read Leah Remini's book and she spoke very well of him, saying what a nice guy he is. I do think  he is nice but sadly a scientologist. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I read Leah Remini's book and she spoke very well of him, saying what a nice guy he is. I do think  he is nice but sadly a scientologist. 

It's just my personal reaction to him, and that's probably because of the crappy writing of the films he was in. I need to work on my prejudices for sure, and no doubt Scientology is part of it. Sincerely, thank you for reminding me to question myself for knee-jerk reactions. It's an ugly habit I learned from my mother, but that's no excuse. If I have learned anything from FJ, it's that I should have more empathy and consider circumstances.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

I have a feeling Scientology has a lot of dirt on him. He was probably a good guy before Scientology got ahold of him. I think Scientology can make people seem weird because they can be so closed off from the regular folks. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

16 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a feeling Scientology has a lot of dirt on him. He was probably a good guy before Scientology got ahold of him. I think Scientology can make people seem weird because they can be so closed off from the regular folks. 

I have always felt that is how they keep a hold on people who are seemingly quite nice. Leah did mention he loves technology and planes. They pretty much let him have what he wants ala Tom Cruise, however unlike Tom Cruise, he is as I said a sweet and nice guy. Out of all the people she spoke about and most not well, she seemed to really like him despite everything that was going on. Mr. Cruise... not so  much. 

1 hour ago, Kiki03910 said:

It's just my personal reaction to him, and that's probably because of the crappy writing of the films he was in. I need to work on my prejudices for sure, and no doubt Scientology is part of it. Sincerely, thank you for reminding me to question myself for knee-jerk reactions. It's an ugly habit I learned from my mother, but that's no excuse. If I have learned anything from FJ, it's that I should have more empathy and consider circumstances.

I'm that way with scientology. I avoid movies etc... from people that are. I did make an exception with Leah because I adore King of Queens. I always felt she would bust out of it one way or another. 

Yea, he has made awful movies. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

It’s funny because for no reason at all, I’ve never cared for Leah Remini. Never watched King of Queens, never read her memoir or watched her documentary about Scientology. Just don’t like her. But John Travolta doesn’t bother me a bit. I haven’t seen many of his movies, but I felt badly when he lost his 16 year old son (in 2009) and was shocked when his wife Kelly Preston died of breast cancer at age 57 in 2020. The couple did not go public with her diagnosis prior to her death and I admired their choice to keep it private. Travolta seems kind of low key. Oh, and I have to say, I totally loved the Christmas commercial he did last year for Capital One credit card, dressed as Santa and dancing to the tune of Stayin’ Alive, but most especially because his costar from Saturday Night Fever, Donna  Pescow, made a cameo appearance. 

Tom Cruise I simply cannot stomach. 

• Upvote 8

I can see how Leah could bother someone because she’s pretty outspoken and doesn’t sugar coat anything. I don’t mind it but I could see it being annoying. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can see how Leah could bother someone because she’s pretty outspoken and doesn’t sugar coat anything. I don’t mind it but I could see it being annoying. 

I can’t say those are the reasons I don’t care for her. In general I don’t mind outspoken celebrities and appreciate ones who don’t sugar coat the truth (for example, Sinead O’Connor, whose memoir I liked.)  I think everyone has some celebrities on their list that they simply don’t like for no good reason. A few more of mine are Will Ferrell, Deborah Norville, Rachel Ray, Hoda Kotb.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Cam said:

I can’t say those are the reasons I don’t care for her. In general I don’t mind outspoken celebrities and appreciate ones who don’t sugar coat the truth (for example, Sinead O’Connor, whose memoir I liked.)  I think everyone has some celebrities on their list that they simply don’t like for no good reason. A few more of mine are Will Ferrell, Deborah Norville, Rachel Ray, Hoda Kotb.

It’s usually the voice for me. Drew Barrymore’s weird accent bugs me. I’m like, “where is that accent from? California?” I like most accents. But I think hers might be made up, lol. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s usually the voice for me. Drew Barrymore’s weird accent bugs me. I’m like, “where is that accent from? California?” I like most accents. But I think hers might be made up, lol. 

I have this bizarre, over-the-top hatred towards Drew. I have no idea where it comes from! But anytime I see her I get this visceral "get her off the tv now!" thing. It's so weird!

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Not quite a celebrity but an old roommate of mine loved to watch Vsauce all the time and the way that guy talks with all the pauses drove me nuts. I'm sure there's some science behind it for understandability, but I just could not stand it.

On the flip side, this conversation makes me think of people trying to decipher the genius of Catherine O'Hara's Moira voice.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

11 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Not quite a celebrity but an old roommate of mine loved to watch Vsauce all the time and the way that guy talks with all the pauses drove me nuts. I'm sure there's some science behind it for understandability, but I just could not stand it.

On the flip side, this conversation makes me think of people trying to decipher the genius of Catherine O'Hara's Moira voice.

I love Moira and the weird ass way she talks. Especially “Bebe”

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

I think Moira was just supposed to sound pretentious. And boy did she ever! Loved that show 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I think Moira was just supposed to sound pretentious. And boy did she ever! Loved that show 

O'Hara described the idea behind it was Moira adapting different speech patterns she heard that she would've thought were sophisticated or worldly, in part to disguise her humble beginnings. Truly inspired character development from her.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

21 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I have this bizarre, over-the-top hatred towards Drew. I have no idea where it comes from! But anytime I see her I get this visceral "get her off the tv now!" thing. It's so weird!

I like Drew Barrymore just fine, think she’s beautiful, loved reading her memoir, and “The Wedding Singer” is one of my favorite movies. But I cannot stomach her as a talk show host. At all. 

• Upvote 4

There have been many times when I've heard Drew Barrymore speak, and I understand the individual words, but I cannot follow what she is saying. To me, her manner of speaking is the definition of word salad. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

There's a woman I follow on instagram who does voice impersonations. She does a wicked good Drew Barrymore. I love her Jennifer Coolidge voice too. Her name is Marcella Lentz-Pope if anyone is into that. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2024 at 1:11 PM, Cam said:

I couldn't stand Will Farrell until this news came out:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/will-and-harper-review-will-ferrells-trans-road-trip-doc-will-save-lives

Now I have to like him. Using his power for good.

• Thank You 2
  • Love 5

5 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

I couldn't stand Will Farrell until this news came out:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/will-and-harper-review-will-ferrells-trans-road-trip-doc-will-save-lives

Now I have to like him. Using his power for good.

Thnx for the heads up, Kiki. I’ll read the article when I have more time and will probably check out the documentary when it streams; I googled “Will and Harper” and it was acquired by Netflix:

“We are thrilled about how audiences received the movie with open arms at Sundance,” filmmakers told Netflix. “It’s a movie about the power of friendship and acceptance — that we hope can help shift the culture.”

I still won’t like “Elf” or any of Will Ferrell’s other movies or comedic sketches, but I’m always impressed when an entitled, privileged white male, especially one with some hefty clout, uses his powers for good, even if it’s a celebrity I never cared for.

And fluffernutter, I’ll also look up Marcella Lentz-Pope. I get a kick out of voice impersonators. Current SNL cast member Chloe Fineman has made her mark by doing a number of great celebrity impersonations.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 3

10 minutes ago, Cam said:

Thnx for the heads up, Kiki. I’ll read the article when I have more time and will probably check out the documentary when it streams; I googled “Will and Harper” and it was acquired by Netflix:

“We are thrilled about how audiences received the movie with open arms at Sundance,” filmmakers told Netflix. “It’s a movie about the power of friendship and acceptance — that we hope can help shift the culture.”

I still won’t like “Elf” or any of Will Ferrell’s other movies or comedic sketches, but I’m always impressed when an entitled, privileged white male, especially one with some hefty clout, uses his powers for good, even if it’s a celebrity I never cared for.

And fluffernutter, I’ll also look up Marcella Lentz-Pope. I get a kick out of voice impersonators. Current SNL cast member Chloe Fineman has made her mark by doing a number of great celebrity impersonations.

Exactly, Cam! The only thing I ever enjoyed about Will Ferrell movies was the burping scene in "Elf", possibly because my name should actually be Kiki Feral. But the trans part really hit home. My bestie's partner came out as trans about 8 years ago, and it was eye-opening. I had considered myself very open-minded and well-educated and a supporter of LGBTQ+, BIPOC, and all marginalized people. I realized then how little I actually knew about trans people, and had to do a crash course to become the ally I wanted to be. I really hope this documentary can open people's hearts. LOOKING AT YOU, JILL AND DERICK.

(/humiliated that as a professional editor I spelled Ferrell's name wrong in my earlier post)

• Love 6

I also despise will ferrell for no good reason. His mere existence just seems to rub me the wrong way.  And for a while there he was in ALL the movies and it was dreadful (back when I actually went to movies, in the before times). I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

All the snippets of drew barrymore's talk show are very irritating (I've never seen a whole episode) but I've loved her in several movies. I especially liked her insane roller skater whole foods clerk in Whip it! and would have much preferred that move center around her and the "older" skaters rather than whatever the main character's name was with her extremely boring romance and family drama.

• I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic