IGNORED

RIP Sinéad O'Connor

47of74

Sinéad O'Connor's family announced she had passed away.

Irish singer Sinéad O’Connor has died at the age of 56, her family has announced.

In a statement, the singer’s family said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

The acclaimed Dublin performer released 10 studio albums, while her song Nothing Compares 2 U was named the number one world single in 1990 by the Billboard Music Awards.

Her version of the ballad, written by musician Prince, topped the charts around the globe and earned her three Grammy nominations.

• Sad 1

Very sad. I remember when she hit the scene. She was so different. She had some serious mental and emotional issues. I saw that she was in a Magdalene house. If you aren't familiar with those, google them. No wonder she had issues. And then after her son died, she gave up. 

• Sad 2

So sad. I remember watching her rip up that picture of the Pope on SNL, as it wasn't edited when they showed it on the west coast. 

• Upvote 1

Sinéad was so very far ahead of her time and was spat upon for telling the truth about abuse of children in the Catholic Church.  

Activist, supporter of trans humans, opponent of the corrupt church, voice of the voiceless and so many other things. 

Rest in power, Sinéad.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, Howl said:

Sinéad was so very far ahead of her time and was spat upon for telling the truth about abuse of children in the Catholic Church.  

Activist, supporter of trans humans, opponent of the corrupt church, voice of the voiceless and so many other things. 

Rest in power, Sinéad.  

At the time, I was unhappy with what she did. Even though I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school, I had little knowledge of the bad things going on in the church as a whole. In retrospect, I understand what she did and why she did. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Rest in power, Sinéad.  

I really knew very little about Sinéad O'Connor other than the infamous tearing up of the pope photo. Not sure I ever heard any of her music; the radio stations I've listened to in my area all my life don't generally play more than top 40 or classic rock, and when she was in the midst of her most prolific era I was in the midst of raising kids and just not paying much attention to the entertainment industry outside of what Disney was releasing next. After reading this letter to Miley, I need to check out Sinéad's music. So many young celebrities need to hear and LISTEN to Sinéad's message. And their parents and guardians could stand to hear it, too. 

Rest in peace, Sinéad. 😢 

• Upvote 1

I've been thinking about Sinead since I heard the news on Wednesday. She was exactly my age and the emotion that she put into her music meant a lot to me. Even just a few days before she died I was giving music recommendations to a friends daughter (for her"Old People" playlist 🙄) and made her listen to Black Boys on Mopeds, which I always loved. )

I remember watching that infamous SNL performance and being so confused by it because I didn't know then what she was protesting. The audience was too, judging by their silence after she ripped the photo. She did what only the bravest people do -say her truth no matter the consequences. And I was still at the stage where I could never have disrupted expectations in the radical way she did. Where did she get the courage so young! 

Of course I didn't know then about her childhood and obviously I didn't know how many awful things she would still have to suffer through, yet she still kept speaking out and being true to herself. She always seemed so vulnerable despite her strong statements about all kinds of injustices. I didn't necessarily agree with everything she did, but you just kept hoping things would work out for her. 

Maybe she resonated so much because she spoke her truth in a way that most of us are not brave enough to do. 

Edited by PreciousPantsofDoom
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2