IGNORED

Charles and Camilla 2

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, KatharineClimpson said:

Back to Camilla, she actually looks really lovely and more her petite self in jeans and a jumper, those coat/dress combos seem to make her look wider and frumpier. 

I think she looks a lot better in slimmer designs and lighter weight fabrics.  Those stiff, heavy dresses and coat dresses with the full skirts are the ones I object to.  They do her no favors.  

In the later years Elizabeth seemed to have all her clothes made from one pattern with variances in the color of the material and in the finishing trims, pockets, etc.  I guess that's one way of dealing with a very senior figure.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, KatharineClimpson said:

I'm new and delighted to find this part of FJ🙂  As I'm a Brit who lives near some of the royal residences I probably have more knowledge of this topic than a lot of what is discussed on FJ.....I joined here to try and understand some American Christian friends I made on FB who seemed a long long way away from me in terms of belief.

Back to Camilla, she actually looks really lovely and more her petite self in jeans and a jumper, those coat/dress combos seem to make her look wider and frumpier.  I think that's the trouble when you're a female royal, it's dressy clothing, but it can't be too designer and out there, has to be acceptable and modest, so it's relatively simple on those evening occasions when your evening dress can be highlighted by massive amounts of bling, but daywear, not so easy.  
Then of course you can't upstage your husband, Charles is sensitive and I imagine a bit fragile as well as rather irritable on that subject.  
I must admit I've not met either of them, so I don't really know, but that's the vibe I get from watching far too much tv coverage and reading royal stuff to some elderly poorly relatives.

Thank you for your perspective, and welcome to FJ! 😀

I find myself with a lot of sympathy for Camilla and her wardrobe struggles. I have a weird body shape that just doesn't look quite right in many things I try on. So I've settled for years on a standard 'uniform' of jeans and t shirts, with the occasional dressier version of that for church and funerals (yes, I've worn jeans to a funeral, but they were dark and very plain, and the top I wore with them was appropriate to a funeral! And I was more 'dressed up' than a lot of the other attendees!). The only thing I really dress up for is a wedding, and I've bought two dresses this past year for my children's weddings. The first one was not really right for me, made me look boxy and short and frumpy. The second one was much better, and I'll probably wear it to my niece's wedding next year unless I force myself to go dress shopping again. As I despise trying on dresses with every fiber of my being (take that, JillRod and your 'being fibers!'), I will probably just default to the one I already own. 🥴

But yeah, I feel for Camilla. I know she has access to everything I never, ever will--top designers, stylists, advisors, fitters, MONEY--but I still empathize. 

Just now, Coconut Flan said:

I think she looks a lot better in slimmer designs and lighter weight fabrics.  Those stiff, heavy dresses and coat dresses with the full skirts are the ones I object to.  They do her no favors.  

In the later years Elizabeth seemed to have all her clothes made from one pattern with variances in the color of the material and in the finishing trims, pockets, etc.  I guess that's one way of dealing with a very senior figure.  

My style guru, QEII!  🤣

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Yes I think Camilla looks much better away from those stiff outfits especially the ones that look like they could stand up by themselves when you take them off!  Also possibly a bra intervention might help.
I guess I was fine with what QE2 did in her later years, clothes weren't important to her, she just required a uniform in nice bright colours that could be seen easily😆  I don't think though that Camilla is in the very senior figure category yet, she's a mere girl at 72😄  and maybe she will get some advice and find her fashion groove..........

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

Thank you for your perspective, and welcome to FJ! 😀

I find myself with a lot of sympathy for Camilla and her wardrobe struggles. I have a weird body shape that just doesn't look quite right in many things I try on. So I've settled for years on a standard 'uniform' of jeans and t shirts, with the occasional dressier version of that for church and funerals (yes, I've worn jeans to a funeral, but they were dark and very plain, and the top I wore with them was appropriate to a funeral! And I was more 'dressed up' than a lot of the other attendees!). The only thing I really dress up for is a wedding, and I've bought two dresses this past year for my children's weddings. The first one was not really right for me, made me look boxy and short and frumpy. The second one was much better, and I'll probably wear it to my niece's wedding next year unless I force myself to go dress shopping again. As I despise trying on dresses with every fiber of my being (take that, JillRod and your 'being fibers!'), I will probably just default to the one I already own. 🥴

But yeah, I feel for Camilla. I know she has access to everything I never, ever will--top designers, stylists, advisors, fitters, MONEY--but I still empathize. 

My style guru, QEII!  🤣

Thank you for the welcome🙂    I have surprised myself by feeling slightly sorry for Camilla with clothing, yes she has it all, she isn't scrabbling round the charity shops like I am looking for something that is maybe just a bit flattering, but at the same time she's subject to scrutiny that I don't have to worry about......and at the end of the day I can always slob about at home in a t shirt and leggings.
By the way I find dresses almost an impossibility, which was sort of explained to me when I joined a FB group about finding your Kibbe type.  David Kibbe is an image consultant who is all about how clothes hang on your body, he's written books and stuff and is maybe a bit out there, but my type Flamboyant Gamine, looks much better in seperates, that was such a relief to find out!  He's worth a google read about if you're into style, or just like me frustrated at how you looked in nearly everything!

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

BTW I wasn't complaining about Elizabeth.  If I had to be dressed up and dragged out in my 90s, I'd want such a solution, too, so I could say make a bright pink one, an emerald green one, and a sapphire blue one, please.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

Elizabeth will always be a hero in my book, after dressing and meeting the Prime Minister just a very few days before her death.  And smiling brightly while she did it.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

BTW I wasn't complaining about Elizabeth.  If I had to be dressed up and dragged out in my 90s, I'd want such a solution, too, so I could say make a bright pink one, an emerald green one, and a sapphire blue one, please.  

Absolutely!  Interestingly though my Mum is 94 so more or less a contemporary of QE2 and a complete fashionista.....she hated how the Queen dressed, said she was "frumpy, squat and unattractive,"  which I've always thought was rather harsh ( my family are, by the way, not exactly fawning subjects)   If my mother had been Queen she would have looked sensational, all the time😆

Just now, SoSoNosy said:

Elizabeth will always be a hero in my book, after dressing and meeting the Prime Minister just a very few days before her death.  And smiling brightly while she did it.  

Yes, my Mum and I disagree about the Queen, I respected and admired her sense of duty, my Mum ( who is more fashionable than me) loathed her fashion sense.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, KatharineClimpson said:

By the way I find dresses almost an impossibility, which was sort of explained to me when I joined a FB group about finding your Kibbe type.  David Kibbe is an image consultant who is all about how clothes hang on your body, he's written books and stuff and is maybe a bit out there, but my type Flamboyant Gamine, looks much better in seperates, that was such a relief to find out!  He's worth a google read about if you're into style, or just like me frustrated at how you looked in nearly everything!

Thank you, I'll check David Kibbe out, I could definitely use an image consultant in my life!

• Love 1

I am so glad you found us.  While I have never been fixated on the BRF, I find them interesting and I do like the history behind them.  I am a fawning fan of London and all of the UK that I have been fortunate enough to visit; as are my daughter and granddaughter.  We hope to get back before I get too old to move around well.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

I am so glad you found us.  While I have never been fixated on the BRF, I find them interesting and I do like the history behind them.  I am a fawning fan of London and all of the UK that I have been fortunate enough to visit; as are my daughter and granddaughter.  We hope to get back before I get too old to move around well.

Glad I found you all too, I am realising that my American friends are probably just very Conservative Christians, we don't have that many of them over here, so culturally it's something different for me.  
I hope you get back here while you still can get around easily, I've been to London several times but I'm not a frequent visitor there as it's a long drive from here, about 120 miles and we're not getting any younger😄  I do though absolutely love it,  the history, the museums, the river and just being able to wander around and soak it all in makes for a great day out.
I'm not obsessed by our Royal family but my brother in law is, and he was very ill last year, I spent a fair bit of time reading magazine and newspaper articles to him about the BRF and I guess it sparked my interest.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, KatharineClimpson said:

I'm new and delighted to find this part of FJ🙂  As I'm a Brit who lives near some of the royal residences I probably have more knowledge of this topic than a lot of what is discussed on FJ.....I joined here to try and understand some American Christian friends I made on FB who seemed a long long way away from me in terms of belief.

Back to Camilla, she actually looks really lovely and more her petite self in jeans and a jumper, those coat/dress combos seem to make her look wider and frumpier.  I think that's the trouble when you're a female royal, it's dressy clothing, but it can't be too designer and out there, has to be acceptable and modest, so it's relatively simple on those evening occasions when your evening dress can be highlighted by massive amounts of bling, but daywear, not so easy.  
Then of course you can't upstage your husband, Charles is sensitive and I imagine a bit fragile as well as rather irritable on that subject.  
I must admit I've not met either of them, so I don't really know, but that's the vibe I get from watching far too much tv coverage and reading royal stuff to some elderly poorly relatives.

Ooooh! I have so many questions! What’s the general British thought on Kate’s wardrobe? Her evening wear is usually fine, but (American perspective) I feel like most of her day dresses lately look incredibly frumpy and like she’s trying to channel early 1990s Diana. Is there a reason she hasn’t gone more in the direction of Queen Letizia or Crown Princess Mary who both seem to have captured the elegant, but still fashionable look? Is there a an elderly designer she feels obligated to work with? Or is she choosing those outfits?

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, KatharineClimpson said:

I think that's the trouble when you're a female royal, it's dressy clothing, but it can't be too designer and out there, has to be acceptable and modest, so it's relatively simple on those evening occasions when your evening dress can be highlighted by massive amounts of bling, but daywear, not so easy.  

Welcome! Interesting points.

Why does it have to be dressy? Why can't it be too "out there"? Royal families in other countries don't seem to follow these rules, so I'm curious why the BRF does. What exactly would happen if she wore a dress that suited her, but broke some of these rules?

The Queen always looked appropriate, and same with Eugenie, Meghan, Beatrice, and Kate, so I don't understand why Camilla is always so frumpy and unattractively dressed. I

wonder if she just has a body type that is difficult to dress, along with a lack of interest in the subject. But since she wanted to be Queen, and she knew it was coming, I'm surprised she didn't put more attention into the matter.

5 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

In my mind, heroes are people who do these things without staffers, servants and courtiers.

Edited by Jackie3

7 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

Ooooh! I have so many questions! What’s the general British thought on Kate’s wardrobe? Her evening wear is usually fine, but (American perspective) I feel like most of her day dresses lately look incredibly frumpy and like she’s trying to channel early 1990s Diana. Is there a reason she hasn’t gone more in the direction of Queen Letizia or Crown Princess Mary who both seem to have captured the elegant, but still fashionable look? Is there a an elderly designer she feels obligated to work with? Or is she choosing those outfits?

Okay I am no expert, I'm a 61 year old Brit living in the far East of England on carer's allowance, so I don't mix in royal circles at all 😆  but as I say due to all that reading I did for my dear bil, I do have an opinion, or rather several of them.

I don't think that Kate particularly likes fashion, I'd say Letizia does, Crown Princess Mary looks a bit like Kate but I think is a very different person.   I think Kate likes to play it safe, and by employing a stylist, her name is Natasha Archer, to select her clothes she is making sure her clothes are safe, classic and in many ways all rather like one another, and I'm pretty sure they try and lean towards British designers.  Years ago, before her marriage? I remember that Kate used to buy off the peg options, I remember a flared spotted mini dress from TopShop , which I don't think the Queen would have approved of that much😄

I also think that Kate will have more scrutiny to put up with than Letizia or Mary.  The British press and an awful lot of the British public are absolutely obsessed with how the female members of the royal family look.  For some reason Royal males can get away with it more, which probably says a lot of horrible things about us as a society.  I also think that is why over the years Kate has got slimmer and slimmer, and why she has probably had what look like cheek fillers and mabye a bit of botox.  I don't blame her, being so scrutinised must be incredibly stressful. 

So my general thoughts are that she dresses rather old hat for a young woman, but that I understand why.  My 94 year old Mum ( the one who thought that the Queen was frumpy) thinks that Kate always looks good, and I'd say she was fairly representative of middle class, conservative British thought.

The exception to all of this is Kate's evening wear, some of which is really rather good!  Now maybe she's someone who compartmentalises things, and thinks that with evening wear you can let rip and be a bit more dramatic, but day wear must be safe?  I don't know.   Very few Brits these days wear that kind of safe, conservative with a small "c", daywear, even most of the posh Brits I know are more likely to slob around in jeans and Boden/Joules tops, those beastly frock dresses and matching coats belong to a world we just don't live in any more.....but maybe that's the point of being royal, you're not like the rest of us!

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

9 minutes ago, KatharineClimpson said:

So my general thoughts are that she dresses rather old hat for a young woman, but that I understand why.  My 94 year old Mum ( the one who thought that the Queen was frumpy) thinks that Kate always looks good, and I'd say she was fairly representative of middle class, conservative British thought.

Kate is really not a young woman. At 41, she is middle aged.

19 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Welcome! Interesting points.

Why does it have to be dressy? Why can't it be too "out there"? Royal families in other countries don't seem to follow these rules, so I'm curious why the BRF does. What exactly would happen if she wore a dress that suited her, but broke some of these rules?

The Queen always looked appropriate, and same with Eugenie, Meghan, Beatrice, and Kate, so I don't understand why Camilla is always so frumpy and unattractively dressed. I

wonder if she just has a body type that is difficult to dress, along with a lack of interest in the subject. But since she wanted to be Queen, and she knew it was coming, I'm surprised she didn't put more attention into the matter.

The world would still turn if she broke these unwritten rules, personally I'd like to see her do it, but I don't think she will.  I don't think she's interested in fashion, she obviously knew she'd be Queen, but did she want it?  I don't know, I think she wanted Charles and if she has Charles then, she has to be Queen.
I don't think it's anything to do with body type, I think it's to do with not creating a spectacle, Camilla has had to work long and hard to turn around her reputation in this country, she's been clever ,kept her head down and got on with things, I don't think she would ruin that work with a flashy or risky outfit.

11 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Kate is really not a young woman. At 41, she is middle aged.

I think of her and Meghan as both being young women, silly I know, but then again maybe they will both make over a hundred, I hope they do🙂

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, KatharineClimpson said:

I think of her and Meghan as both being young women, silly I know, but then again maybe they will both make over a hundred, I hope they do🙂

I'm 65, so of course I think of Meghan and Kate both as young!😆 And I certainly didn't consider myself middle-aged when I was their age!

Now, when I hit 50...whole new story. 🥴:laughing-rolling:

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, KatharineClimpson said:

The troll hates Kate, so she’s an old hag and middle-aged while Meghan is a young mother at 42. I recommend you pay her no mind. 

Edited by Destiny
More words.
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, Destiny said:

The troll hates Kate, so she’s an old hag and middle-aged while Meghan is a young mother at 42. I recommend you pay her no mind. 

Since they're both 41, they're both middle-aged.

They also both have young families.

I'm not seeing what there is discuss here, since everyone is in agreement.

Edited by Jackie3

11 hours ago, Destiny said:

Sometimes I miss custom titles. “Old hag” would be right up there, especially because I am also 41. 🤣

Edited by KnittingOwl
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Sometimes I miss custom titles. “Old hag” would be right up there, especially because I am also 41. 🤣

I miss them all the time. that's easily one of my least favourite of their changes. it's right up there with the coming removal of status updates and the support system we use. (I have announced neither of these things to date 'cause they're a couple of years out.)

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

You think 41 is an "old hag"? Wow, then I am really old. I think 41 is middle aged but not really old. Not nowadays.

Count me in the group wishing we still had custom titles. I joined after custom titles weren’t allowed (or I wasn’t aware it was a thing until after they were gone).

3 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Count me in the group wishing we still had custom titles. I joined after custom titles weren’t allowed (or I wasn’t aware it was a thing until after they were gone).

They still exist, but you can only see them on mouse over the profile image instead of in the post like you once could.

Edit: holy shit I might have fixed it. Stay tuned.

Edit 2: Nope

Edited by Destiny
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

I just learned something new (I had to post something so I could see if I had a title).  And I think I do.

Edited by SoSoNosy

On 7/19/2023 at 4:27 PM, KatharineClimpson said:

Yes, my Mum and I disagree about the Queen, I respected and admired her sense of duty, my Mum ( who is more fashionable than me) loathed her fashion sense.

My aunt and I disagree about the Queen. She doesn’t like the entire BRF due to historic treatment of the Irish and the Troubles. 

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

I just learned something new (I had to post something so I could see if I had a title).  And I think I do.

Everyone does. The old title system still exists, just not as obviously as it once was. I think they might also show on profiles but i’m tired and my eyes are done with my crap so i’m not gonna check right now. 

• Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic