IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 14: The Reverse Harry - Restoring the Angevin Empire

Coconut Flan

Another Memphian here, who has never been to Graceland.  Elvis grew up in abject poverty, in the public housing projects.  When he hit the big time, he bought that house; it had been designed and built by a doctor.  Elvis didn't even name it, it was already named, and was on a country highway when he bought it.  As his fame grew, he copied what he saw in the tastes of people he thought of as rich and famous, only he  did it bigger and brighter.  That isn't wallpaper, it is folded fabric on the ceiling and down the walls.  His taste was loud, colorful and garish, because he thought it was beautiful.  I remember exactly what I was doing when Elvis was taken to the hospital; the  public wasn't told of his death for a while.

A lady who made some clothes for me and my children also made some of his jumpsuits; she used to tell me stories.  She was friends with Elvis' aunt.

I also didn't know Lisa and Fergie were friends.

Edited by SoSoNosy
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 2

Yes. Similar to Dolly Parton. She had the country girls idea of glamour and She started dressing like the town tart because she always thought the women was so beautiful in her high heels and  makeup and done hair which the respectable people called “Trashy”  

• Upvote 6

19 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Yeah, because you can determine the overall happiness of a child from one photo. Right.

There are plenty of pictures of them smiling. We can not know how they feel about their childhood from any of those either.

The trick is to only acknowledge the photo that reinforces your assumptions. So not this one taken at the exact same event: 81ED3AF9-FD35-4733-A82E-645CB569D495.jpeg.ea78317fb4cd4779c6c57b431f1e3c5e.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

When he hit the big time, he bought that house; it had been designed and built by a doctor.  Elvis didn't even name it, it was already named, and was on a country highway when he bought it.

Great comments. For more historic info check out the National Register forms here and here.

Graceland also has many if not all of his stage costumes/jumpsuits on display as well as amazing memorabilia like this:

Memorabilia.jpeg.0619da27493bc33424c10c3465e1d7d5.jpeg

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, TN-peach said:

I did not know until this weekend that Lisa Marie and Sarah, Duchess of York were friends. Fergie spoke on Sunday at memorial service.  Her comments were very nice and actually made me tear up. 

Wait. What?!? The interconnections between people are interesting. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

No offense to anybody from TN/Memphis - but I've always heard that Graceland is supposed to be over the top tacky kitsch. Like Las Vegas. Not bad for what it is - but it IS what it is. And nothing else like it.

I imagine if you didn't already sort of have some background on 70s vegas Elvis and that Graceland is very over the top...It probably was rather disorienting if you were expecting something more like Newport mansions or Biltmore (American 1800s era railroad baron mansions).

I'm currently in the first 1/3 of Harry's book and am finding it unexpectedly charming when he's talking about his life. I'd rather like a version of his memoir where he just talks about these fascinating places he's been without the constant meta-narrative of the evil paparazzi who killed my mum and screwed up my life.  Although the ghostwriter keeps using analogies and words that I can't believe Harry, self proclaimed NOT a scholar, used. But I'd like to hear more about the lands around Balmoral, Australia, Africa, etc. Places I'll never go and if I did it'd be for 1 week tourist vacation not months or years of exploring and learning about the places.

• Upvote 4

Graceland is indeed over the top.  Way back when he was still alive, the gates were open if he wasn't home, and anybody could go up the driveway.  A friend of my ex-husband's asked for a picture of the house; I put on a coat and sunglasses, crept up the driveway, snapped the picture and fled, hoping nobody I knew had seen me.   I have another story; a high school friend of mine inherited a house from her aunt, this house backed up to the side yard of Graceland.  Her husband was studying for the bar exam and totally stressed; he climbed the fence and went for a swim in Elvis' pool.  One of the security guys wandered by, said "have you seen Elvis?".  Arne said "yeah, I think I saw him go over toward the barn".  As soon as the guy was out of sight, Arne ran across the yard (BIG yard), climbed back over the fence and broke either his arm or his leg as he landed because he was going so fast.  That was before the security cameras, etc. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

55 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

No offense to anybody from TN/Memphis - but I've always heard that Graceland is supposed to be over the top tacky kitsch. Like Las Vegas. Not bad for what it is - but it IS what it is. And nothing else like it.

I imagine if you didn't already sort of have some background on 70s vegas Elvis and that Graceland is very over the top...It probably was rather disorienting if you were expecting something more like Newport mansions or Biltmore (American 1800s era railroad baron mansions).

From what I’ve heard and can tell from the pictures the Jungle Room especially is something else.  It was definitely not designed to be timelessly classic. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, noseybutt said:

Wait. What?!? The interconnections between people are interesting. 

Yep. They called each other “sissy” which is very southern. It was as kind of shocking to hear Fergie say that they called each other Sissy. Overall Fergie’s message was very moving and made me tear up especially when she mentioned Priscilla.   I would love to know how they met and became such really good friends. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

The trick is to only acknowledge the photo that reinforces your assumptions. So not this one taken at the exact same event: 

And the same is true about Meghan and Harry. Focus on the "bad" (eating avocado, etc) and ignore the good (charity work, praise from friends and coworkers).

Of course there are pics of the kids smiling. They're kids!

social-image-.thumb.webp.2ea99c9dd86bc7b75eb352c24e01e7fd.webp

However, there are far more serious, scared pics than happy ones. Those kids usually have the most downcast looks. . . .

Recognizing that royal children may have a tough time does not mean W&K are terrible parents. I'm sure they are good parents. It simply means that it's probably pretty overwhelming to face cameras wherever you go. Kind of what Harry says, too. And Diana. And that it must be kind of lonely to be a royal child, because so many outings simply aren't possible. 

I was struck by Harry and Wills' evening just before Diana died.  An evening alone with their nanny, with two brief visits from Charles. Then dinner alone, with a brief conversation with the footman. Running around the halls of Balmoral, all alone. Wills wasn't visiting a girlfriend or hanging at the beach with friends. Harry wasn't kicking a soccer ball around with the neighbor kids, or resting after basketball camp. Those two young boys were alone, all evening, and the only people with them were paid to be there.

I had a really interesting conversation with attorney friend who thinks Harry’s admissions of drug use will likely be glossed over with US immigration but would not be glossed over for most other applicants. Abuse (not addiction) can be used to determine admissibility.

Nobody knows exactly what visa he is on but speculation is that it’s an O visa and those are handled on a case by case basis.

He’s wanting to live in the US but not become permanent resident or citizen. Which makes usual spousal routes a bit wonky.

Edited by noseybutt
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

53 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

It's an interesting point:

https://www.geo.tv/latest/466994-meghan-markle-uses-exaggerated-illustrators-to-emphasize-her-points

I have thought merely she was overly dramatic and it's hard to tell when she's acting and when she's real.  

I'm always bonus skeptical of people of "analyze" body language. People can have all sorts of extenuating circumstances  - like being an actress/performer - that can affect "normal" body language. And of course that totally ignores whatever "normal" means and how they come to that assessment. 

I've been interviewed by somebody trained in body language as a part of a job I had. I already dislike eye contact but that's the interview I discovered that whenever I'm trying to think of an example or remember something I look up above my head....which is supposedly "lying" to all these people. The interviewer really keyed into it and pestered me more and more the more I looked up which made me look up more because I was trying to remember more details for their more and more intense questioning. It was awful I think it went on for 4 hours. 

Side note, I was once interviewed for a simple article in a local paper. They quoted me...wrongly...nothing horrendous but it wasn't really what I said. I have ever after been suspicious of any "quotes" that weren't recorded with video (since people will splice audio with ease). 

I think Meghan and Harry can be kind of eye roll cringe but so much of what seems to be attributed to them doesn't seem to have much basis in reality. And for that I feel sorry for them....not a lot (because boo hoo I only have 90 million instead of 100 million)...but some. haha. 

• Upvote 8

I'm not much of a fan of some of the body language, but when Meghan is doing some of the same dramatics as my eight year old granddaughter, I have zero problem judging.  Also as they say it's like talking to children and I see some of my own ex-kindergarten teacher behaviors and again no problem acknowledging that.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm not much of a fan of some of the body language, but when Meghan is doing some of the same dramatics as my eight year old granddaughter, I have zero problem judging.  Also as they say it's like talking to children and I see some of my own ex-kindergarten teacher behaviors and again no problem acknowledging that.  

It sounds as though Meghan can't even stand properly to please you. I'm guessing Kate stands just fine?

I have more of a problem with Andrew. And adulterers like Charles and Camilla. And assaulters like William. 

On 1/25/2023 at 2:04 PM, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I've been interviewed by somebody trained in body language as a part of a job I had. I already dislike eye contact but that's the interview I discovered that whenever I'm trying to think of an example or remember something I look up above my head....which is supposedly "lying" to all these people. The interviewer really keyed into it and pestered me more and more the more I looked up which made me look up more because I was trying to remember more details for their more and more intense questioning. It was awful I think it went on for 4 hours. 

So do I! Weirdly I think my subconscious is trying to "see" the information, which is in my brain so I look up (because rolling my eyes back into my head is fortunately not an option.) I am also really sceptical of the body language people - some of their identified tells in things I've watched look different to me, so maybe also a cultural component?

On 1/25/2023 at 7:42 AM, noseybutt said:

He’s wanting to live in the US but not become permanent resident or citizen. Which makes usual spousal routes a bit wonky.

Wouldn't PR just be simpler? Why would he not want PR?

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Wouldn't PR just be simpler? Why would he not want PR?

US requires permanent residents and citizens to pay income tax on worldwide income. Most countries including UK do not.

I think that would be the most likely reason.

But…this is all speculation. Harry is not required to disclose the information and it’s not part of the public record.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

On 1/23/2023 at 3:21 PM, tabitha2 said:

I’d rather live in house with peacock windows and fluffy carpet than an a vanilla  magazine  perfect home but to each their own. 

As a person who loves peacocks, I'd die for that arch.

• Upvote 3

So media is claiming Charles wants to invite Harry to the coronation but William doesn‘t want him there. At this point I‘m with Charles if that‘s true. Let Harry make that akward decision himself.

Oh and on a lighter note:

E5D46D98-3F49-4A3C-B2C6-27FF3FCE0D6D.jpeg

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Haha 17

4 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

So media is claiming Charles wants to invite Harry to the coronation but William doesn‘t want him there. At this point I‘m with Charles if that‘s true. Let Harry make that akward decision himself.

It sounds to me like Charles doesn't want to be the bad guy in this situation. A quick leak to the press solves this problem--"I want him to come!"

I think Harry will decline. He has a birthday party to attend that will be far more fun. 

3 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

The Archewell Foundation released its first impact statement and some financial notes. They’ve raised approximately $13 million and donated around $3 million. Some good projects. Look forward to seeing what else they do. 

This includes projects on vaccine equity and Covid vaccines, although they partnered with other groups on this. Another one of those groups made sure to clarify that it was a collective effort

They've done a huge amount of good, and will likely continue to do so in the coming years.

The Archewell Foundation released its first impact statement and some financial notes. They’ve raised approximately $13 million and donated around $3 million. Some good projects. Look forward to seeing what else they do. 

This includes projects on vaccine equity and Covid vaccines, although they partnered with other groups on this. Another one of those groups made sure to clarify that it was a collective effort

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 1

I never paid any attention to William since he got married. Never does anything of note. 

But man he's starting to sound like a control freak ass if Harry and other stories are true.

I imagine we'll hear more about him now since his rank has moved up? So we shall see.

• Rufus Bless 1

It doesn't make sense to me that William would have any sway over who attends Charles' coronation. He is ONLY the Prince of Wales. Charles will have the final say.

• Upvote 5

As Prince of Wales, Charles used to advise the Queen or at least discuss things with her.  That was apparent in later years.  Since Charles is already in his 70s, I don't think it's odd for him to be involved in discussions.  He shouldn't get the final say.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Charles has the final say but he can still ask for opinions. Or maybe William gave his without being asked.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 4

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic