IGNORED

Political Memes, Comics, and other Shenanigans, Part 38

GreyhoundFan

Is this where we drop off documents that are ready for the proofreader?

image.thumb.png.27cdc40c01135a2f5e27b1a6e3312514.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

image.png.f6de2d50dfe17b3a5f3db5d6ec8ce1e5.png

"Mitch, Please"

Politicians make gaffes. Some examples are Gary Johnson’s “What is Aleppo?” Rick Perry unable to name the third department he’d eliminate (which he was later appointed to head by Trump). George W. Bush’s “Fool me once, shame on you…fool me…can’t get fooled again.” President Obama’s “57 states,” which Republicans still can’t let go. And then there’s Joe Biden in the 2008 campaign when he said then-Senator and candidate Barack Obama was “articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.” Every politician has gaffes, but what Senate Minority Leader and anti-Voting Rights goon Mitch McConnell said on Wednesday was NOT a gaffe.

When asked what he’d tell black voters who are afraid the Senate’s failure to pass the Voting Rights Act will prevent them from voting in this November’s mid-terms, Mitch said, “If you look at the statistics, African American voters are voting in just as high percentage as Americans.”

When I first saw this on social media, I thought it was a parody. And as I often state, it’s getting harder and harder to parody satire. Did Mitch McConnell really state that black voters aren’t Americans? Yes, yes he did.

Millions are now asking, “Why would Mitch say that?” They’re scratching their heads and scratching and scratching, and they keep on scratching until they draw blood…but stop that scratching, America (all of you, not just the white ones). It’s no mystery why Mitch McConnell would say something like this. There’s a simple and obvious answer.

The reason why Mitch McConnell would state that black people aren’t Americans but white people are is that Mitch McConnell is a racist. Duh. So, his statement was not a gaffe. It was a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you accidentally expose how you really feel.

Way back in the day, politicians didn’t have to hide their hate. They would openly campaign on their hate, like George Wallace, Strom Thurmond, and Jesse Helms. Now, they have to use code words to racists and other assorted haters. These are dog whistles. A racist Republican can’t say the N-word anymore so he’ll say “thug.” If another can’t say the word “Jew” in one of his rants, he can replace it with “globalist.” You can also let people know where you stand by saying “build the wall,” “send them back,” “critical race theory,” and “vote Trump.” They’re all dog whistles.

The thing about white conservatives is that they want this nation to continue being controlled by whites. They want a white America. Even as Caucasians are losing their majority, they believe they are entitled and should have more representation than the rest of America. Look at the Supreme Court. Every GOP nominee is white except for the black friend. The “black friend” is the “proof” conservatives to use that they’re not racist.
Republicans are now changing voting laws throughout the country to maintain and create Republican majorities in state legislatures, Congress, and to win the presidency, but also to keep white control. There’s a line in the cartoon Family Guy where a rich person gripes that in the good ole days, white people controlled 100 percent of America instead of what it controls now, 99 percent.

Republicans will cheat to maintain their white control. It’s why they gerrymander. It’s why old racist Kentucky fucks like Mitch McConnell steal Supreme Court seats.

But, they’re supposed to use dog whistles and pretend like they’re crafting racist laws for the good of everyone, so they use phrases like “voter integrity,” when there’s no mass voter fraud. They use Martin Luther King Jr’s speech on judging content of character and not skin color to justify voter suppression based on skin color. And in case you haven’t noticed, when they talk about fictional voter fraud, they point at “inner-cities.” That’s another dog whistle. But those dogs don’t hunt and we see right through you.

And then Mitch throws up an airball which is still hanging. Everyone can see it. Mitch McConnell, your racism is showing.

“Mitch please” has been trending on Twitter over the past two days and thousands of black Americans are letting Mitch know something he didn’t before Wednesday. Black Americans are Americans.

In Mitch’s statement, he referred to black voters as “African-Americans” before he made the statement about “Americans.” But, Mitch. How can someone be an African-American if they’re not American? Also, how can they vote if they’re not an American? Oh….now I see. You don’t think black people are Americans which means they don’t deserve the right to vote in American elections, so that’s why you’re trying to take it away.

Paula Dunn Brown tweeted a photo of herself with the caption, “I’m so American I don’t even know which part of Africa Mitch’s ancestors stole mine from!!”

The real irony here is that taking away voting rights and creating laws making it harder for ANY American is unAmerican. What’s also unAmerican is supporting a coup, attempting to overthrow an election, building a wall to keep out immigrants, voting for the candidate favored by a Russian president, spreading an election lie, trying to overturn an election, or starting conspiracy theories that the first black president wasn’t born in America, or telling Americans they’re not American.

Mitch McConnell and his Republican goon colleagues are telling us who is and isn’t American. It’s a truly white privilege to designate yourself as that authority.

Mitch, please.

• Upvote 9

image.png.fcfda1cb196ee5f8001143ac895b3173.png

"One Scoop, Two Scoops, Three Scoops, Vlad Scoops"

The White House may not admit it, but you know you kinda messed up when you have to clarify the president’s statements the day after. The Trump White House had to do it on a near-daily basis. Remember when they had to tell us the president (sic) was NOT endorsing drinking bleach or cramming light bulbs up your ass to cure COVID? Good times.

But, yes. President Biden messed up. First, he shouldn’t have given a two-hour press conference. Anyone who speaks for two hours is gonna screw something up.

Republicans jumped on the speech before they knew what to gripe about. They always accuse Biden of being mentally impaired and that his speeches are incoherent rambles…but they must not be listening to the same speeches we are. It’s ridiculous to have to point out that Biden is clear and informed on the issues. Also, these people supported the guy who talked about invisible airplanes, didn’t understand the nuclear triad, had just learned Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, thought Frederick Douglass was still alive and being “recognized more and more,” believes Second Corinthians is “Two Corinthians,” couldn’t pronounce “Yosemite,” “Thailand,” “Nevada,” “Kamala Harris,” and every time he said “China,” it would come out more like “vagina.” I saw one critic complain that Biden did his press conference during the day and not at night when all other presidents would conduct press conferences. That’s not even close to being true but if it was, so what? When someone complains about stuff like that, it means they don’t have anything to criticize. It’s like Biden and ice cream.

I’ve seen a lot of conservative cartoonists include ice cream in their Biden cartoons like that’s a bad thing? It’s like they don’t remember President Hamburglar. My use of ice cream here isn’t a criticism of Biden liking ice cream. In fact, I challenge that he likes ice cream more than I do. God, I love ice cream. But anyway, he kinda messed up.

During the president’s two-hour press conference, he answered a question on Russia invading Ukraine with, “What you’re going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades and it depends on what it does. It’s one thing if it’s a minor incursion, and then we end up having to fight about what to do and not do, etc.”

A lot of people freaked out including the president of Ukraine. They felt he was giving Russia permission to commit an “incursion” but not to “invade.” And honestly, that could be exactly how Russia would take it. But it’s clear he was talking about there being different reactions to how much Russia does, it’s probably just not good to say that.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy tweeted, “We want to remind the great powers that there are no minor incursions and small nations, just as there are no minor casualties and little grief from the loss of loved ones. I say this as the President of a great power.” Ukraine is a very important nation but I don’t know about the “great power” part of that.

The day after Biden’s stumble, he clarified his statements. The President said, “If any assembled Russian units move across the Ukrainian border, that is an invasion. Let there be no doubt if Putin makes this choice, Russia will pay a heavy price.” Except, he said “assembled” Russian units. What if there is encroachment into Ukraine by unassembled Russian units? I’m shocked Republicans aren’t screaming about this detail.

The worry and quibbling over Biden’s speech are based on the concern that NATO countries may not (they won’t) agree on a response if Russia invades Ukraine. There is a lot of trade between western Europe and Russia, specifically oil. Have you seen oil prices lately? While the United States may call for strong sanctions on Russian oil, Germany might just call for a sanction on Russian nesting dolls. Yeah, that’ll hurt ’em. Grrrr, and there’s more where that came from. There hasn’t even been a sanction on Russian vodka.

The truth is, the only help coming to Ukraine if Russia invades are military supplies and sanctions. Nobody’s going to help Ukraine fight a war against Russia. After Ukraine became an independent nation again after the breakup of the Soviet Union, it became a puppet to Russia. And like Russia, it was a phony democracy. Only after it became a true democracy did Putin start his “incursions.” He invaded and took Crimea from Ukraine in 2014. Most sanctions from the west for the Ukraine “annexation” have been against individuals, not against the Russian nation itself. Most Russians who were sanctioned said it was a “badge of honor.” So, what sort of sanctions will there be if Putin invades Ukraine? Will there be some actual harsh sanctions?

In the U.S, Republicans and Trumpers support Putin and Russia. White nationalists love Vladimir Putin. He’s their guy. They love Putin as much as I love ice cream…maybe even more.

When it comes to Ukraine, I don’t think it matters what President Biden says or how he says it. Putin will take as many scoops as he wants.

• Upvote 4

image.png.f98abee68f8e8d682b899f0cf18e184b.png

"Putin on the Bitz"

I already wrote about the subject so let me write about the cartoon. I had a great time drawing this cartoon.

I usually send several ideas in rough sketches to my editors at CNN. Occasionally, I only have to draw one. Rich was my editor this week and he said I hit it on the first try. I was really excited to draw this cartoon but also daunted that I now had to draw this cartoon.

The rough is very detailed for a rough. I was really getting into it so I drew more for it than I usually do. I considered making the final version on top of it, but I put it aside and started over. I was afraid the final version wouldn’t be as good as the rough, and that happens a lot. But I think this one came out pretty well. I especially liked the animation of it.

A colleague told me it inspired him to do more aerial views. It’s a good way to depict the Oval Office.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, fraurosena said:

Ummmm......   yes, yes, I have seen a President attack and malign the free press, but it's not Joe Biden....  

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Becky said:

Ummmm......   yes, yes, I have seen a President attack and malign the free press, but it's not Joe Biden....  

I distinctly remember that one mocking a disabled reporter. Whatever you think of Biden's language, that is so much worse...

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic