IGNORED

2020 Election Fallout 15: More Information Is Being Revealed About The Big Lie

GreyhoundFan

This would fit in more than one place but I think I'll put it here.

So how long until Lindsey Graham appears on Tucker Carlson's show, sucking up to Tucker and the orange menace and apologizing profusely and saying he misspoke when he spoke against the January 6th events?

Inappropriate': Republicans Break From Trump's Pledge To Pardon Jan. 6 Rioters

https://www.yahoo.com/news/inappropriate-republicans-break-trumps-pledge-181445041.html

Spoiler

Republican elected officials sought to distance themselves from a pledge President Donald Trump made over the weekend to pardon those charged in the Jan. 6, 2021 assault on the U.S. Capitol should he run for the White House again and win.

“I think it’s inappropriate,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), a Trump ally, said Sunday in an interview with CBS’ “Face The Nation.”

Asked if he believed that Trump’s pledge to offer pardons to rioters could be dangerous, Graham said he did.

“I don’t want to reinforce that defiling the Capitol was okay. I don’t want to do anything that would make this more likely in the future,” the senator said. “I hope they go to jail and get the book thrown at them because they deserve it.”

Continuing further in the article, here are some quotes by other Republicans also strongly disagreeing with Trump's statement that he would pardon the January 6th people.

Spoiler

“I do not think that President Trump should have made that pledge. ... We should let the judicial process proceed,” Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), one of the seven who voted to convict him, said Sunday in an interview on ABC’s “This Week.”

Collins said it’s “very unlikely” that Trump would win her support should he run for the presidency again.

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu (R) also broke with Trump over his pledge to pardon rioters on Sunday.

“Of course not. Oh, my goodness, no,” Sununu said when asked if he agreed with the former president in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“Look, the folks that were part of the riots and, frankly, the assault on the U.S. Capitol have to be held accountable,” Sununu added. “Everybody needs to be held fairly accountable ... That’s part of leadership.”

• Upvote 8

At this point I think the pardon power should be taken away or seriously curtailed to the point that the only thing the President can do is commute a death sentence to life imprisonment.  There's just too fucking much potential for abuse. 

• I Agree 8

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

At this point I think the pardon power should be taken away or seriously curtailed to the point that the only thing the President can do is commute a death sentence to life imprisonment.  There's just too fucking much potential for abuse. 

It shouldn't be in the hands of one person, nor sould it be in bipartisan hands. There should be an independant committee who decides whom to pardon. The president can then sign his name to the official document.

Same goes for State pardons, btw.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

"Some records sent to Jan. 6 committee were torn up, taped back together — mirroring a Trump habit"

When the National Archives and Records Administration handed over a trove of documents to the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection, some of the Trump White House records had been ripped up and then taped back together, according to three people familiar with the records.

Former president Donald Trump was known inside the White House for his unusual and potentially unlawful habit of tearing presidential records into shreds and tossing them on the floor — creating a headache for records management analysts who meticulously used Scotch tape to piece together fragments of paper that were sometimes as small as confetti, as Politico reported in 2018.

But despite the Presidential Records Act — which requires the preservation of memos, letters, notes, emails, faxes and other written communications related to a president’s official duties — the former president’s infrangible shredding practices apparently continued well into the latter stages of his presidency.

The National Archives on Monday took the unusual step of confirming the habit, saying in a statement that records turned over from the Trump White House “included paper records that had been torn up by former President Trump.” The statement came in response to a question from The Washington Post about whether some Jan. 6-related records had been ripped up and taped back together.

Some of the documents turned over by the White House had not been reconstructed at all, according to the Archives.

The Archives transmitted over 700 pages of documents to the Jan. 6 committee last month that included a mélange of records concerning the events of Jan. 6, 2021, including those that were torn up and reconstructed, according to the three people familiar with the records, who requested anonymity to reveal sensitive details.

In its statement, the Archives said that “White House records management officials during the Trump Administration recovered and taped together some of the torn-up records. These were turned over to the National Archives at the end of the Trump Administration, along with a number of torn-up records that had not been reconstructed by the White House. The Presidential Records Act requires that all records created by presidents be turned over to the National Archives at the end of their administrations.”

It’s unclear what documents in the tranche delivered to the Jan. 6 committee were damaged. But legal records indicate that the documents over which Trump sought to assert privilege included presidential diaries, schedules, appointment information, handwritten notes concerning the events of Jan. 6 from White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, speeches, remarks, and more. The archivist is set to hand over more documents in the weeks and months to come.

The committee declined to provide comment.

Stephen Gillers, a New York University law professor and constitutional scholar, said White House documents torn up by Trump are clearly the property of the government under the Presidential Records Act.

“So destroying them could be a crime under several statutes that make it a crime to destroy government property if that was the intent of the defendant,” Gillers said. “A president does not own the records generated by his own administration. The definition of presidential records is broad. Trump’s own notes to himself could qualify and destroying them could be the criminal destruction of government property.”

Trump also sought to assert privilege over four pages from the records of presidential findings concerning the security of the 2020 election, four pages of a draft Executive Order on the topic of election integrity, three pages of talking points on alleged election irregularities and two pages of a draft text of a presidential speech for the Jan. 6, 2021, “Save America March.”

This past weekend, the former president bashed the House Jan. 6 committee and raised the prospect of pardoning those who have been charged in connection with the attack on the U.S. Capitol if he ran and won reelection in 2024.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I just keep picturing Trump in his giant diaper, sitting on the floor of the Oval Office, tearing up documents like a giant toddler while screaming for a baby bottle of Diet Coke and a cookie. 

• Upvote 10

Just imagine those torn up records being handed over to the committee in plastic baggies containing tiny little paper fragments and then being the person who has to tape them a back together again. A veritable jigsaw puzzle from hell...

• Upvote 9

6 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Just imagine those torn up records being handed over to the committee in plastic baggies containing tiny little paper fragments and then being the person who has to tape them a back together again. A veritable jigsaw puzzle from hell...

It might not be too difficult if he used different colors of crayon. 

• Haha 11

12 minutes ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

It might not be too difficult if he used different colors of crayon. 

Sadly, he only uses black sharpies. :pb_wink:

• Upvote 6

The rest of the thread is under the spoiler.

Spoiler

• Thank You 11

Nothing surprises me anymore. This made my eyes pop though.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

From the Kyle Cheney tweet posted by @Cartmann99,

"The Wards — both doctors of osteopathic medicine -- are suing T-Mobile to block the subpoena, claiming (among other things) it could reveal sensitive doctor-patient info."

This is depressing.  I've found in general that osteopaths are excellent physicians and I usually prefer them to MDs.   Too  bad these two yahoos made idiotic choices in their political lives.  

• Upvote 3

How long before TFG and his minions force Mikey to walk back his statements? "Pence says Trump was wrong when he claimed the vice president could have overturned the 2020 election"

Former vice president Mike Pence said former president Donald Trump was “wrong” in claiming that Pence could have overturned the results of the 2020 election when he presided over the congressional affirmation of Joe Biden’s electoral college win.

“This week, our former president said I had the right to ‘overturn the election.' President Trump is wrong,” Pence said Friday. “I had no right to overturn the election.”

Pence was referring to comments Trump made Sunday, in which he insisted that Pence could have “overturned” the 2020 presidential election on Jan. 6, 2021, as he presided over the counting of electoral college votes by Congress. The former president has repeatedly expressed frustration that Pence did not use his role to try to reject the electoral votes of several states that Biden won, but his Sunday statement was among his most explicit in publicly stating his desire.

Pence dismissed Trump’s statement during a keynote speech Friday at a conference hosted by the Federalist Society, an organization for conservative and libertarian lawyers, in Florida this weekend.

“There are those in our party who believe that as the presiding officer over the joint session of Congress, I possessed unilateral authority to reject electoral college votes,” Pence said. “Under the Constitution, I had no right to change the outcome of our election.”

“And Kamala Harris,” he added, “will have no right to overturn the election when we beat them in 2024.”

The speech marked Pence’s strongest rebuke yet of Trump’s claims and efforts to get him to overturn the results of the 2020 election. In his role as president of the Senate, Pence was at the Capitol to preside over the counting of the electoral votes on the day when a pro-Trump mob breached the building in an effort to prevent Congress from officially affirming Biden’s win. Pence repeatedly told Trump in the lead-up to Jan. 6 that he did not have the power to overturn the 2020 election.

“Whatever the future holds, I know we did our duty that day,” Pence said Friday. “John Quincy Adams reminds us: duty is ours, results are God’s. The truth is there’s more at stake than our party or political fortunes. Men and women, if we lose faith in the Constitution, we won’t just lose elections. We’ll lose our country.”

Pence said the presidency belongs to the American people, and the American people alone, and appeared to suggest that calls for him to overturn the results of the election were “un-American.“ "Frankly there is almost no idea more un-American than the notion that any one person could choose the American President,” Pence said.

On Tuesday, Trump offered a more nuanced take on what he would have liked to have seen from Pence on Jan. 6, saying Pence “could have sent the votes back to various legislators for reassessment after so much fraud and irregularities were found.”

There has been no evidence of widespread fraud that would have changed the election results in any of the battleground states won by Biden.

Previously, Pence had remained steadfast in his decision to resist Trump’s demands ahead of Jan. 6, but had not offered a strong rejection of the former president’s claims. In June, Pence admitted the two still do not “see eye-to-eye” about the insurrection on Jan. 6. Immediately after the attack, Republican Sen. James M. Inhofe (R-Okla.) said he’d never seen Pence “as angry” as he was that day.

During his speech Friday, Pence once again called Jan. 6 a “dark day in the History of the United States Capitol” and said the only role Congress has with respect to the electoral college “is to open and count votes submitted and certified by the states.”

“No more, no less,” Pence said.

Pence said he remained firm in his commitment to the Constitution, “even when it would be politically expedient to do otherwise.”

“As the late great Justice Antonin Scalia said, ‘I’m doing what I’m supposed to do, which is apply the Constitution,’” Pence said. “Even though I do not always like the results … Even when it hurts.”

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

The resolution to censure Cheney and Kinzinger is under the spoiler.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ed6e3eb03b91600e6d5848acc7b21f5e.png

Edited by Cartmann99
left off the second page
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 6

"legitimate" political discourse?

I think a political "body" has ways to shut that down...

///////sssssss

• Haha 9

I’m gonna jump out on the limb and guess who he voted for twice…

One of the Florida retirees charged with casting two ballots in the 2020 election told federal agents that he “just wanted to vote twice and wanted to see if he could vote twice,” according to an FBI report.

Charles Barnes, 64, was arrested last month on a felony fraud count for allegedly voting in both Florida and Connecticut. Barnes, seen at right, has pleaded not guilty to the charge and is free on $2000 bond.

Barnes lives with his wife in an 1156-square-foot residence in The Villages, the sprawling Central Florida retirement community. The couple purchased the newly built home for $170,100 in December 2015, according to property records.

Barnes, pictured at right, registered to vote from Florida in 2019 and did not indicate a political party affiliation. The Connecticut native, records show, was simultaneously registered to vote in Milford, a city 10 miles from New Haven. Barnes and his wife have owned a small home in Milford for more than 30 years.

• Upvote 8

Well, the Republicans just handed the Democrats the single, greatest issue they can focus on for the midterms: 

If you think storming the Capitol and attempting to find and hang the VP of your own party equals legitimate discourse, vote R.

If you think storming the Capitol and attempting to find and hang the VP of your own party equals an insurrection, vote D.

• Upvote 13

8 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Well, the Republicans just handed the Democrats the single, greatest issue they can focus on for the midterms: 

If you think storming the Capitol and attempting to find and hang the VP of your own party equals legitimate discourse, vote R.

If you think storming the Capitol and attempting to find and hang the VP of your own party equals an insurrection, vote D.

I do appreciate your optimism, but the level of crazy is high with these people and they believe whatever Fox tells them.

I hope you are right, but I cannot help wonder if I am going to be trying to get me and my family out of this country soon.

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 5

Short and to the point:

• Upvote 8

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic