IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 5: Oprah, Racism, and Gossip! Oh My!

nelliebelle1197

My understanding is that Eugenie and Jack moved out and then moved back in again. And now Harry is quarantining at KP in one of the cottages there. 

About Meghan and flying in pregnancy: she's now based in LA, so the trip to London is a lot longer of a flight. It might be fine to travel for a certain amount of time, but not longer. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

It is part of the Crown Estate so it was never the Property of the Sussex’s to begin with. 

True, but they paid for the renos and the stepping back statement specified it was remaining as their home. All articles about Eugenie and Jack confirmed that they’re renting from H&M. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

About Meghan and flying in pregnancy: she's now based in LA, so the trip to London is a lot longer of a flight. It might be fine to travel for a certain amount of time, but not longer. 

It all really depends on how her pregnancy is going. And I do believe her mental health may play a role too. If she is't comfortable going then she really shouldn't go.

That being said I flew from CA to Venice at 35 weeks + a few days and then again from Venice to California 29 weeks (different pregnancy). But that's the life of a military wife. I did need to get clearance, including a note from my doctor, though none of the airlines actually asked to see it. 

• Upvote 5

It was announced on one of the Royal sites that he was taken to Kensington Palace, where Nottingham Cottage is available after Eugenie moved into Frogmore Cottage.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

On 4/12/2021 at 7:14 PM, viii said:

Agreed - I had zero issue with the interview with Oprah, but Gayle shouldn't have been giving updates the next day. It's only going to make the situation even worse, and I can't believe that Harry is dumb enough to not realize that. Unless perhaps he thought Oprah/Gayle were asking as friends, and didn't realize they were going to be talking so publicly about it. Who knows. 

Harry has a very nice statement about Philip here: https://people.com/royals/prince-harry-speaks-out-prince-philip-death/

I do have issues with the interview as it was full of hints and half truths. But much worse is the fact, that they willingly opened the BRF up for an ongoing “who is the racist” game with Prince Philipp being No.1 suspected for almost everyone and only then they at least let Oprah come out and say it wasn’t him and the Queen. If they are not willing to give the name, they should be silent. Now there are 9 people (at best, based on their vague usage of words and definitions it could be more) that are under suspicion- eight of them unjustly. Especially, as (per their own words) the issue wasn’t addressed further by them, so those eight people hadn’t even been aware of the conversation (if it happened that way). Neither, Harry, Meghan nor Oprah are newbies in terms of PR. They all knew what would happen in the aftermath. And they took it. Oprah had several clips prepared to prolong the hype. The interview was not a one-time-thing. We had so many comments by friends by now - not just anonymous leaks but people that openly call themselves close friends and there has been no objection. Oprah riding the bus on the interview, Gayle talking about private conversations (very much in line with the friends quoting private letters....), don’t forget Omid Sobie that loves to pick on the BRF.... I would say their circle is as leaky as a sponge compared to the bucket of the BRF. If I were another family member I wouldn’t go to more than superficial comments of condolences and expressing hope Meghan and Archie are alright.

I dislike his statement, but I guess that’s due to personal preference. It sounded way to intimate and flippant (hope it’s the right translation- offhand and uncouth definitely were not what I meant) for a public address. I don’t know either of them, and I don’t want to be addressed as if. Does that make sense? I think it’s completely unnecessary that every relative comes up with their own statement. I guess Beatrice and Eugenie and Zara and Peter are next? Or will they not speak publicly as they are all not working royals? (TAKE THE HINT HARRY) How will they top that when the Queen dies? I mean, I get the structure (Wife-children-grandchildren) but obviously Harry didn’t get the memo and not the PR help they had. And as I sad-  completely unnecessary.

And the fact that this disgrace Andrew thought it was a good idea to speak to a camera. I mean is not a working royal anymore. Talk to your relatives and friends. The BRF is truly in overkill mode here.

Allegedly, Wiliam and Harry are to walk behind the coffin side by side. Both in suits. I hope they bring out the military attire they are entitled too. It’s a bloody ceremonial ceremony and the DoE was very committed to and proud of the army, not to mention a WWII veteran. Can Harry wear medals from his active service or a parade uniform as ex-captain? (sorry not firm in this topic). If so, he should. And it would be interesting to see what uniforms Will and the others bring out.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

On 4/14/2021 at 3:14 PM, kachuu said:

I don’t think so. He still has to quarantine for a couple of days even with the family situation. And who would want to quarantine without a valid test in a house with a tiny newborn? What parents would be ok with that?

There are enough flats on the portfolio for him to stay till he has a valid negative test and as he won’t stay for that long, why go through the hustle to pack again?

It is also not completely clear where Eugenie and her family are living. They were in Frogmore Cottage, then back at Royal Lodge, then allegedly back at Frogmore. But not confirmed.

• Upvote 4

I read somewhere that he was quarantining in one of the cottages in Kensington Palace.

• Upvote 1

Frogmore is really not that big. It would make lots more sense for him to be at One of the Kensington  apartments than to try to Quarantine in the house of a family with a newborn or else Chuck his cousin and her family out so he could have the place to himself. 

Completely off topic, but it's a shame Kate's sister's name is Pippa. Harry and Meghan could have chosen Philippa as a name for their daughter to honor Philip, with the nickname of Pippa. Archie and Pippa would have made a cute sib-set. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

I mean it’s his sister in laws sister.  I see no reason why a daughter can’t be named be named Philippa in honor of his grandfather if they choose plus it’s the name of several Queens.  

• Upvote 3

I know, but there would be a lot of media attention if they chose it, so I could see them leaning against it. It would be such a sweet name and gesture, though. 

• Upvote 3

They could definitely do it. Archie and Pippa is really sweet. They may not because of the distance between the family at the moment.

Its not impossible in theory - the royal family repeat names nearly as much as the Duggars.

Just between Kate and her close family:

Charles Philip Arthur George

William Arthur Philip Louis

George Alexander Louis

Louis Arthur Charles

Arthur Michael William

Carole Elizabeth

Catherine Elizabeth

Philippa Charlotte 

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana

Grace Elizabeth Jane

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

And Michael Francis Middlton.

Also Pippa's husband is James Spencer Matthews, whose brothers are Spencer George and the late Michael Matthews. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

They cannot name her Pippa because my brain will forever leap to Pippi Longstocking.  Especially if her hair was red. (I jest, they can name her whatever but if it is Pippa my brain will always connect to Pippi lol)

• Haha 7

On 4/11/2021 at 10:23 PM, KnittingOwl said:

Like for your oversees baby shower?

I’m not saying she should have gone, but let’s not pretend Meghan couldn’t have gone if she wanted to. It’s possible her doctors did say not to travel, but it’s also possible that’s an excuse to save face. 

There wasn’t a global pandemic at the time of that baby shower either. I’m pretty sure that factored in somewhere—at least it would have been a consideration for me. 

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

There wasn’t a global pandemic at the time of that baby shower either. I’m pretty sure that factored in somewhere—at least it would have been a consideration for me. 

Plus she's since had a miscarriage, which I'd imagine would make them far more cautious. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Honestly, I’m glad she wasn’t there. The speculation of “nods” to anyone in any degree, body language would be dissected to the point of nausea, more rumors about the feud would continue to be gas lighted....

my heart hurts for Harry that he had to face them alone, but, they are his family. (And I imagine HM has quite the soft spot for him & that may be his only winning cars at this point- I wonder if E thinks she is not repeating history by giving Harry the life she regrets not giving Margaret?).
They have every right to be frustrated with him and he does with them. But the press is obsessed with Meghan. And I think she would take away from the grieving family over Honoring Philips life. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 4/7/2021 at 6:02 AM, just_ordinary said:

I cannot wrap my head around Harry’s role in all of this. He should have made sure Meghan had a clue of what was going to happen. In terms of personal freedom, in terms of the relationships between the family members, in terms of hierarchy, in terms of money/gifts/businesses from friends, in terms of headlines and public perception (Camilla? Fergie?), in terms of titles for future children, in terms of how bashing the new girl is a big thing...  From my POV He knew. And either he was mislead into believing it would be different or he was delusional about what role and importance his family unit would have...

Honestly? I've always thought he was just kinda dumb. And impetuous. 

Famous people have a halo effect just like beautiful people have, and we unconsciously assume that they must be smarter, harder working, and just better than us. If Twitter has taught us anything, it's that this isn't true. 

That's not to push the "Meghan is a svengalian succubus who is enacting her master plan to destroy the British Royal Family via the poor, innocent prince" narrative. He's a grown ass man who has a myriad of resources and has made his own decisions. But those decisions have always (long before Meghan) exhibited, to me, a lack of maturity, reflection, and long-term planning. So I don't think he thought much about preparing Meghan for her role and the difficulties, because he wasn't thinking about much other than he really liked her, she's really hot, let's go on fly over to Africa for a trip. 

On 4/12/2021 at 9:03 AM, viii said:

I also feel for Harry. He is overseas in tense situations, while grieving, and he doesn’t have his support person. 

Eh. I'm single and don't have a support person. I have to buck up and do plenty of things on my own. Maybe it's me, but this line of reasoning wears on me when I hear it used for married adults. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

Eh. I'm single and don't have a support person. I have to buck up and do plenty of things on my own. Maybe it's me, but this line of reasoning wears on me when I hear it used for married adults. 

Exactly! For all we know not having Meghan and Archie with him might have been a relief because he didn’t have to worry about them and how they were managing things and was able to have a nice time with his family and even have happy feelings about the “good old days.” (As much as you can at a funeral.)

It’s possible that Harry is both very happy with his life in California with Meghan and their nuclear family, and was also happy to be with his extended family in Britain without the pressure of a wife who felt miserable in those surroundings.

I listened to a podcast last year about a Soviet spy who lived in the US for decades during the Cold War. He had a wife and child in the USSR and another wife and child in the states and went back and forth several times over the years. He mentioned that every time he entered Russia again he thought, “It’s nice to be home,” and when he’d fly back to JFK he also thought, “It’s nice to be home.” I feel like that could be true for Harry.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I’m single too, I wasn’t saying single people can’t do things on their own. Harry has always come across as dependent on Meghan, they push the “team” narrative so hard that I was just musing he probably finds it hard to be without her at his grandfathers funeral while he is at odd with majority of his family. I have zero actual idea how he feels, though. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic