IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 5: Oprah, Racism, and Gossip! Oh My!

nelliebelle1197

18 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Honestly? I've always thought he was just kinda dumb. And impetuous.

I think Harry is one of the dimmer bulbs in his own family (and believe me, that is saying a lot) and definitely impulsive. At Eton, with all possible educational resources available to him, he had to cheat. He quit his job in the army when he was given a desk role. When the news about Meghan publicly wearing earrings from MBS (on an occasion after he'd had a man dismembered) came out, it was reported that Harry was shocked his staff even recognised the jewels, let alone that they'd see an issue in Meghan wearing them. 

And I think that was a bad combination for someone bringing Meghan into the family. Just to recap, Meghan was about to:

1. Live in a new country she'd previously spent only a couple of months in, in a culture and climate very different to what she was used to

2. Become a duchess and join a family entrenched in tradition, whose continued role in its country has been heavily tied to a perception of quiet duty very different to American celebrity culture

3. Go from being a basically unknown actress to a globally famous representative of the UK practically overnight. 

Any of those would be a huge adjustment, but Harry apparently thought there was no need to actually  make sure Meghan was fully aware of what she was coming in to and the changes she'd have to make in the manner William did to Kate.

I do wonder if their different approach was partially down to their experiences with Diana. She came close to parentifying William at some stages, and he got a front-line seat to the fallout of his parents marriage (like watching her infamous interview as it aired) in a way that Harry didn't. William being incredibly cautious in preparing to make another woman the eventual Princess of Wales perhaps makes better sense in that light than Harry's approach to bringing Meghan in. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

She knew the Windsor’s would always take of William so Diana doted on Harry and probably indulged him more than was wise. When she was killed the family continued to let him have    His way and let his have his way most of time because it’s hard for an incredibly busy dad and loving gran who famously does not like confrontation anyway to say no and set boundaries for a motherless 12 year old. All this plus his deep seated unresolved emotional issues and not particularly bright leads to where we are now. JMO Of course. 

Harry and Meghan going on Oprah is the equivalent of a normal family going on Jerry Springer. You don’t throw your family under the bus like that and expect a loving reception afterwards. I agree that he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. I think Meghan thought she would be able to do whatever she wanted once she was married to a prince, and finding out that she was just a little cog in the machine is what sent her packing. She seems to be the type that needs to be the star, and that was never going to happen. She lacks some self-awareness there.

Edited for typo.

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Love 4

It’s hard but true : you don’t change the Royal family.You either just fit it naturally, change yourself to fit them or you end up leaving  one way or the other.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Yeah, the gleeful remark is odd. She's wearing a mask and you can only see a quarter of her face. 

Archie is so damn adorable. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 4/19/2021 at 10:22 AM, Xanariel said:

I think Harry is one of the dimmer bulbs in his own family (and believe me, that is saying a lot) and definitely impulsive. At Eton, with all possible educational resources available to him, he had to cheat. He quit his job in the army when he was given a desk role. When the news about Meghan publicly wearing earrings from MBS (on an occasion after he'd had a man dismembered) came out, it was reported that Harry was shocked his staff even recognised the jewels, let alone that they'd see an issue in Meghan wearing them. 

And I think that was a bad combination for someone bringing Meghan into the family. Just to recap, Meghan was about to:

1. Live in a new country she'd previously spent only a couple of months in, in a culture and climate very different to what she was used to

2. Become a duchess and join a family entrenched in tradition, whose continued role in its country has been heavily tied to a perception of quiet duty very different to American celebrity culture

3. Go from being a basically unknown actress to a globally famous representative of the UK practically overnight. 

Any of those would be a huge adjustment, but Harry apparently thought there was no need to actually  make sure Meghan was fully aware of what she was coming in to and the changes she'd have to make in the manner William did to Kate.

I do wonder if their different approach was partially down to their experiences with Diana. She came close to parentifying William at some stages, and he got a front-line seat to the fallout of his parents marriage (like watching her infamous interview as it aired) in a way that Harry didn't. William being incredibly cautious in preparing to make another woman the eventual Princess of Wales perhaps makes better sense in that light than Harry's approach to bringing Meghan in. 

That’s an interesting perspective. Looking at the two brothers as children with very different personalities, caught up in typical messy family drama - but in the spotlight, AND with one the official, designated favorite AND with their mother’s very public death.... really does make sense they would handle the prospect of wives very differently. 

• Upvote 5

On 4/19/2021 at 1:22 PM, Xanariel said:

I do think that Harry was naive in what Meghan would face as a black woman in the family as well as in the UK

On 3/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, viii said:

Yeah, I have never been able to find a credible source that indicates Charles plans to change the amount of working roles in the monarchy at all. 

Side note: Thinking on baby names for Sussex #2 and I think they're going to go with something that begins with M. There's an article on people.com that talked about how Meghan bought herself a Cartier watch and had the back engraved with "To M.M. from M.M." and spoke about how she wants to hand it down to a daughter someday (this was pre-Harry days). With the last name of Mountbatten-Windsor given to their children, it makes me think perhaps an M name might be on the table, which would be cute! 

My guesses:

Mollie

Maya 

Millie 

Mila 

non M names

Abigail (My father’s joy)

Alice

Daisy

Iris (this is my first guess it means rainbow and she’s a rainbow ? baby)

leah

piper 

poppy 

Rosie

stella 

isabella 

willow 

15 hours ago, kachuu said:

My guess is she’s due mid-late June 

my guess dob is June 29th

• Upvote 2

I just saw all the cute photos celebrating Prince Louis 3rd birthday, and a post saying he really completed the Cambridge family. It made me wonder if William and Kate considered how William and Harry lived and were treated with the whole “heir and a spare” mentality - and decided 3 was a much better number than two in this situation. George will always have a specific, heavier, more prominent emphasis on him, it can’t be helped. Charlotte and Louis having a more similar role - incredibly privileged and media driven - but still, much different and more relaxed expectations , might be beneficial to them individually, and the relationships of all three siblings. 

• Upvote 11

31 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

I just saw all the cute photos celebrating Prince Louis 3rd birthday, and a post saying he really completed the Cambridge family. It made me wonder if William and Kate considered how William and Harry lived and were treated with the whole “heir and a spare” mentality - and decided 3 was a much better number than two in this situation. George will always have a specific, heavier, more prominent emphasis on him, it can’t be helped. Charlotte and Louis having a more similar role - incredibly privileged and media driven - but still, much different and more relaxed expectations , might be beneficial to them individually, and the relationships of all three siblings. 

That's a good point. I always assumed the multiple kids was decided in part to give their children a larger support system. No one else is ever going to have a better understanding of the pressures of growing up royal than their siblings.

I've heard too that they're trying for a fourth, or is that just a rumor?

Also, looking at the birthday photos and also recent photos of George, I gotta say Michael Middleton has some strong genes. 

• Upvote 7

Last I heard William did not want  more.

Apparently  from I understand they are seeing a child psychologist  and raising the children according to sort of a “Master Plan” 

Scientific child rearing? If its to avoid them being another uncle Harry in 30 years I would say that’s very wise. 

• Eyeroll 4

I don’t think William even wanted a third, tbh. Kate grew up in a family of three though, and so I’m not surprised they had three. I’d be surprised at a fourth - this would be their largest age gap and Kate is almost forty. All signs point to them being finished. 

Louis is Michael Middleton Jr but I see a bit of him in George as well. Charlotte is pure Windsor to me. 

• Upvote 7

It’s patently obvious More cute Royal kids now just mean more troublesome Royal adults to cause various complications and funding issues for the monarch and government to contend with in the future. Having An heir and a spare is all that matters 

• Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 2

No child should be born knowing they were only born as a safety measure. People need to have the amount of children they genuinely desire. If a royal couple only wanted one child, then go for it. That’s why you have several people in line for the throne so it’s not always down to just one person.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, viii said:

I don’t think William even wanted a third, tbh. Kate grew up in a family of three though, and so I’m not surprised they had three. I’d be surprised at a fourth - this would be their largest age gap and Kate is almost forty. All signs point to them being finished. 

I was slightly surprised they had a third with as bad as her hyperemesis gravidarum is, but I wasn’t surprised she wanted a third, since as you said, she came from a family of three herself.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

I was slightly surprised they had a third with as bad as her hyperemesis gravidarum is, but I wasn’t surprised she wanted a third, since as you said, she came from a family of three herself.

It’s really horrible. I managed twice, both times with horrible HG, and my husband was really surprised I wanted to have a second child. There’s no way I could manage a third. It’s not just hard on the mom. It’s hard on the partner who picks up more work and the other kids who have less mom available. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

It’s so hard to try to guess names because Archie Harrison was so completely unexpected. 

I had forgotten about the MM watch thing, but I do remember thinking they would use an M name for a girl when I read the story while she was expecting Archie.

I suggested Diana, Henrietta or Dorothea as middle names previously. Thinking of first names ... 

Margaret (which the name Meghan originates from, they could use the nickname Maggie)

Along the same lines - Margo

Madeleine

Matilda

Mila

Its difficult to think of names because they aren’t bound by royal naming rules and expectations.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Along the same lines - Margo

Madeleine

Matilda

Mila

Its difficult to think of names because they aren’t bound by royal naming rules and expectations.

Great thinking, I could definitely see them going for Margot!

As for the Cambridges, we have no indication whatsoever that it was Kate who wanted a third against William's wishes. Anything is possible, of course, including even that Louis was a happy accident or that he was conceived as a band-aid baby after William's (rumored) cheating. But we don't know and they will never publicly say, so any speculation is moot.

• Upvote 5

I kind of think Kate would want a fourth, but William wouldn't. 

The kids are super cute. 

• I Agree 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic