IGNORED

Russians: Now Using Poison Underpants

clueliss

Back in my IT days one of the positions I had was working on a software product that banks could use for importing watch lists such as the US Treasury's OFAC SDN list and others (EU, UN, UK, etc) flagging transactions to and from entities on that list and stopping them in their tracks.  (I also learned a little bit about SWIFT in that job too so I know just how big of a fornicating deal when any country gets cut off). 

I imagine the SDN list and other watch lists have been quite active lately what with having to add Russian individuals, banks, companies, etc to those lists. 

12 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Why is Putin doing this? Here’s his plan:

Oh and Biden needs to hop on the phone right now and tell Putin that if he has any ambitions about Alaska or any other US territories two things;

1. That our armed forces and the people of the United States will fight to the last individual.
  2. Putin may take Alaska but they will lose so much equipment (ships, planes, etc) and so many people that any victory they have will taste even more bitter than defeat.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

On 2/24/2022 at 10:46 AM, fraurosena said:

I'm seriously scared of how this will end.

You and me both.

• I Agree 8

2 hours ago, meep said:

NATO says it will active the NATO Response Force for the first time. 

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-25-22/index.html <-- I can't link exact blurb but it's just been reported there. 

"NATO Supreme Allied Commander Gen. Tod Wolters activated the multinational force consisting of land, air, sea and special operations forces from the allies that can deploy quickly in support of the NATO alliance.

The activation of the response troops does not mean that any US or NATO troops will go into Ukraine, which is not a member of the alliance. US President Joe Biden has been clear that US troops are deploying to eastern Europe to help bolster NATO countries nervous about Russia's aggressive actions, and they will not be fighting in Ukraine.

Wolters called it a "historic moment" in his statement.

"They represent a flexible, combat credible force that can be employed in multiple ways and we are utilizing fully their inherent agility,” he added. “These deterrence measures are prudent and enhance our speed, responsiveness and capability to shield and protect the one billion citizens we swore to protect.”

The force has not yet deployed but are on standby."

Translation: Our sons and daugthers are joining your sons and daugthers, for your freedom. For yours and our freedom. It means a lot to us.

It means a lot to us too. However there is a lot of people here who are not aware how serious this "situation" is.

IMG_20220225_212314.jpg

• Thank You 8

What I don’t get is why didn’t Putin do this while Trump was president? Why now? Trump would have done anything in his power to have America help Russia. 

• Upvote 9

35 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

What I don’t get is why didn’t Putin do this while Trump was president? Why now? Trump would have done anything in his power to have America help Russia. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that Trump could have been too much of a wild card. Trump would have done whatever made Trump look good, so it might have gone either way.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

And the Synagogue in Odessa had to be evacuated in the middle of the Sabbath 

Spoiler

Hee!

NSFW:

Spoiler

Edited by samurai_sarah
NSFW link
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 9

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I've been pondering the same.  Why now and not before?  Why now and not later?

Idly speculating whether there could be any small association between Trump's current vulnerabilities in the US, his relationship/interactions with Putin, and Putin's timing.  Might he have been expecting sanctions and widespread disdain in the near future, regardless?

• Upvote 9

Adds nothing to the discussion, so never mind.

Edited by samurai_sarah

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I openly invite anyone to correct me and/or disagree but I have a couple of theories:

First is that Putin wanted Trump as POTUS. He is savvy enough about US and world politics to understand that if he had tried to invade Ukraine and Trump did nothing (or worse, praised Putin) that would actually be too much for all but the most ardent Trump supporters. Even some of the people who remained Trumpers are appalled at his comments praising Putin over the last few days. If he had allowed Putin to invade without taking a strong stand against the actions, there would likely have been a huge firestorm. At minimum, the economic fallout would have blasted his chances for reelection but I think it would have triggered impeachment or possibly even Article 25 proceedings. Russia has been USA’s biggest enemy for decades so removal from office may have occurred. Putin wanted Trump as his POTUS puppet and couldn’t risk the potential loss of re-election or removal from office. 

My second theory is Angela Merkel was still in office and was considered the leader of the free world since Trump was clearly a buffoon. I do not know much about the current German Chancellor but she was a force not to be challenged. I really think Putin realized that with Trump being such an idiot that the traditional view that POTUS is leader of the free world shifted and all eyes turned to Angela Merkel, he could not risk her wrath. The woman is not perfect but she is incredibly intelligent and able to run circles around most other people including leaders of other countries. 

Perhaps it was a combination of these two theories. Perhaps (entirely possible) I am way off base. One thing I do know for certain- Trump’s praise of Putin is more proof he has no soul. 

• Upvote 13

9 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

If the president of Ukraine is Jewish and a synagogue has to be evacuated, I strongly question Putin's claims about wanting to de-nazify Ukraine. After all, one of the Nazis' big things was murdering Jews. Logic 101...

I question Putin's claims about anything (I'm agreeing with you) and see antisemitism as a bigger problem than the Nazis and Putin.  It's widespread and, to some degree, has become normalized.  It tends to erupt during times of crisis when there's a desire for someone to blame.

Even here on FJ...how many times have certain fundies been referred to as "Pharisees"?  Pharisees were the predominant Jewish sect during and after the time of the New Testament so I'd guess that most, if not all, living Jews - including myself - can be considered Pharisees.  It was the sect that prevailed.  The term "Pharisee" has also become synonymous with "hypocrite", to the point where people regularly think it's fine to keep reminding people how awful it's believed a subset of Jewish people were a few thousand years ago when calling someone a hypocrite.  I'm not suggesting this is necessarily done out of any overt malice toward Jews, but I do see it as an example of the normalization of antisemitism...conflating Jews with hypocrisy.

I'm not defending the behavior of Pharisees during the time of the New Testament (nor am I condemning it).  I'm also not accusing anyone here of being an antisemite.  I understand that the term "Pharisee" is powerful and might be conveniently used when describing a religious hypocrite vs. a generic hypocrite.  It has become a handy term, so I'd expect most aren't thinking twice about using it, but I believe it's worth giving that second thought here and elsewhere.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:
1 hour ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

Perhaps it was a combination of these two theories. Perhaps (entirely possible) I am way off base. One thing I do know for certain- Trump’s praise of Putin is more proof he has no soul. 

Those are as reasonable guesses as any.  I felt that he didn't go in while Trump was president because he didn't need to.  He was getting Trump to try to dismantle NATO.  That would have helped him a lot.  And, you're right, it would have worked out better for him if he'd done it during Trump's second term.  Trump would have applauded and the Trumpy rightwing wouldn't have batted an eye.  

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Idly speculating whether there could be any small association between Trump's current vulnerabilities in the US, his relationship/interactions with Putin, and Putin's timing.  Might he have been expecting sanctions and widespread disdain in the near future, regardless?

This is bothering me too.  Surely Putin can't be doing this because of what might be revealed about Trump, could it?  It would certainly be no surprise if we discovered that Putin monkeyed with the 2016 election.  It wouldn't have hurt him at all.  As Dickens' said, "You can't stain a black coat."  We've mostly figured that Trump has been laundering Russian mafia money for quite some time.  Again, that wouldn't hurt Putin's reputation.  The timing, though, just seems odd.

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, Xan said:

This is bothering me too.  Surely Putin can't be doing this because of what might be revealed about Trump, could it?  It would certainly be no surprise if we discovered that Putin monkeyed with the 2016 election.  It wouldn't have hurt him at all.  As Dickens' said, "You can't stain a black coat."  We've mostly figured that Trump has been laundering Russian mafia money for quite some time.  Again, that wouldn't hurt Putin's reputation.  The timing, though, just seems odd.

I'm wondering whether there's something about Putin, not already known, that could be revealed via the investigation into Trump.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

There could be many reasons we have absolutely no idea about, but I personally think that a combination of the theories posted above by @AlmostSavedAtTacoBell and @Xan are quite probable: a strong Angela Merkel and Trump undermining NATO we’re reasons for not invading while Trump was in office.

That said, there are two other variables that could be at play.

First, what information did Trump hand over to him? We know that Trump stole top secret documents and kept them at Mar-a-Lago. Some were recovered, but we have no idea if that was all he took, or what he did with it whilst it was in his possession for over a year. Could he have shared something with Putin, that prompted Putin’s actions now?

Secondly, we have no idea of Putin’s position in Russia. Is his stranglehold on the country as strong as he thinks? Or is it crumbling? The massive protests from Russians against the invasion in 54 cities all over his country could well be an indication of Putin’s waning power. Combine that with the possibility that his standing with his oligarch friends may not be what it used to be, and you get a desperate despot. He might be seeing all his plans for the restoration of a great Russian Empire crumbling before his eyes, and this is his now or never attempt at getting it, and consolidating his position at the same time. He may have thought he could get away with it, just as he got away with annexing Crimea, and with a perceived weakened NATO, and a perceived weak EU, plus neutrality if not implicit approval from China (who have everything to gain from a weakened Europe) now is the time to go for it.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

I think Putin had planned on Trump being president for a second term. How many times during the election and aftermath did we discuss Republican claims of foul play that turned out to be projecting what they were doing? We talked about how increased postal voting due to the pandemic made any tampering with voting machines less effective. And with the election as close as it was, there was a real possibility that had covid not hit (and Trump bungled things so badly, resulting in hundreds of thousands of dead Americans), he might have won.

I remember in 2020 reading a news article (it might have even been here) about all the things that had happened quietly which should have been bigger news but were overshadowed by the pandemic. One was changes to the Russian constitution which included basically allowing Putin to remain President well past the existing term limit, and things like the President appointing heads of law enforcement agencies. 

Basically, I think he’s been working on cementing and expanding his own power (& possibly training/expanding his army) in preparation for this for a number of years, and covid delayed some things, plus Trump was gone sooner than Putin planned. I doubt it has anything to do with whatever is going on in Trump news today; it seems sudden to us watching but in reality it probably took a long time to plan. I also think Putin considers Europe first and America second (& doesn’t think of Australia at all, which is probably good news for me).

• Upvote 12

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

There could be many reasons we have absolutely no idea about, but I personally think that a combination of the theories posted above by @AlmostSavedAtTacoBell and @Xan are quite probable: a strong Angela Merkel and Trump undermining NATO we’re reasons for not invading while Trump was in office.

That said, there are two other variables that could be at play.

First, what information did Trump hand over to him? We know that Trump stole top secret documents and kept them at Mar-a-Lago. Some were recovered, but we have no idea if that was all he took, or what he did with it whilst it was in his possession for over a year. Could he have shared something with Putin, that prompted Putin’s actions now?

Secondly, we have no idea of Putin’s position in Russia. Is his stranglehold on the country as strong as he thinks? Or is it crumbling? The massive protests from Russians against the invasion in 54 cities all over his country could well be an indication of Putin’s waning power. Combine that with the possibility that his standing with his oligarch friends may not be what it used to be, and you get a desperate despot. He might be seeing all his plans for the restoration of a great Russian Empire crumbling before his eyes, and this is his now or never attempt at getting it, and consolidating his position at the same time. He may have thought he could get away with it, just as he got away with annexing Crimea, and with a perceived weakened NATO, and a perceived weak EU, plus neutrality if not implicit approval from China (who have everything to gain from a weakened Europe) now is the time to go for it.

Yeah Putin himself might want to avoid upper floor windows for a while if the oligarchs get pissed off with him. 

Just saw this article that frames what's happening as part of a religious conflict between the Ukrainian and Russian orthodox churches

Putin has now ordered Russian troops into Donetsk and Luhansk. The first major conflict between two Orthodox Christian nations since the War of the Stray Dogs in 1925 has likely just begun. That conflict (the resolution of which was incidentally perhaps the only significant accomplishment of the League of Nations) was clearly and plainly a territorial dispute. On its surface so is the current conflict in Ukraine. But appearances can be deceiving. Make no mistake about it, if there is a war between Russia and Ukraine, it’ll be a religious war. The sooner those in the West recognize this reality and catch up on the details the better.

On one side of the conflict is the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, the culturally and linguistically Greek cleric, who has historically claimed leadership of Orthodoxy. For the better part of a century, the Patriarch of Constantinople has moved toward the West and arguably many of its values. Today’s incumbent on the Apostolic Throne of St. Andrew speaks the language of human rights, religious freedom, and trust in science. This position arises in no small part from the Patriarchate’s own precarious role as a representative of minority religion in Turkey. 

At the same time, the Patriarch of Moscow, having reclaimed much of his post’s former political influence in a post-Soviet Russia, has taken to spearheading not only the traditionalist Orthodox cause, but acting as support and symbol to religious conservatives around the world.

Ukraine has been an early and persistent hotspot in this conflict. In 2018, the Patriarch of Constantinople granted independence to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (a status known in the Orthodox world as autocephaly). The fallout has been significant—though it isn’t obvious to most observers that the fallout is either significant or related. Most recently, on December 29, 2021, the Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate, the leading body of the Russian Orthodox Church, announced its decision to establish a Patriarchal exarchate in Africa—essentially a colonial outpost—which is expected to include 102 clerics in eight countries. 

I have no doubt that many of its approximately 110 million members - both lay and clerical - are sincere in their beliefs and only want to worship and live their lives in peace without all the politics and desire to dominate others.  However, it seems to me that some of the leadership, such as the Patriarch of Moscow, have hopped into bed with Putin and the oligarchs supporting him.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

Oh, Canada...

Canadian liquor stores are removing Russian vodka and other Russian made alcoholic beverages from their shelves in an act of condemnation over Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.

After weeks of warnings from Western leaders, Russia unleashed a three-pronged invasion of Ukraine from the north, east and south on Thursday, in an attack that threatened to upend Europe's post-Cold War order. read more

Liquor stores in the provinces of Manitoba and Newfoundland said they were removing Russian spirits, while Ontario, Canada's most populous province, also directed the Liquor Control Board Of Ontario to withdraw all Russian products.

In Ontario alone, all products produced in Russia will be removed from 679 stores.

I bet the "truckers" behind the protest will whine about this.  Well, they can always go back to drinking swish if they miss the Russian liquor.

• Upvote 7

Turkey has officially turned on Putin:

And better yet:

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 11

Things are moving on the SWIFT front

A decision to cut Russia off from the global SWIFT payment system will be taken in a matter of days, the governor of a central bank within the euro zone told Reuters on Saturday.

Italy has also said it will support EU sanctions and cutting Russia off from SWIFT if that's what everyone else wants to do.

And US lobbying firms have figured out pretty damn quickly that lobbying for Russian entities is not a good idea

In the years leading up to Russia's attack on Ukraine, US lobbyists have raked in millions of dollars from Russian banks and financial firms paying to push their interests in Washington.

Now, in the wake of the Russian invasion and new sanctions announced by President Joe Biden, many of those lobbying firms are rushing to cut ties and drop their lucrative contracts.

At least six lobbying firms that previously represented now-sanctioned Russian banks and companies tied to a Russian natural gas pipeline terminated their contracts or representation this week, according to statements and federal lobbying disclosures.

The exodus marks the rupture of a Moscow-to-K-Street conduit that has long employed former federal officials and members of Congress of both parties, experts said.

• Upvote 9

Secretary Blinken's message to the Russian people:

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

59 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Turkey has officially turned on Putin:

It is not yet confirmed by Ankara. Zelenskyy words could have been provocation.

Earlier Turkey said that they cannot break the Montreaux Convention Terms and ban the entry.

Let's see what happens.

Edited by fish_ca
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

RT tried to get an interview with the guy who headed up the draft Biden movement in 2016 and served on President Obama's campaign committee.  Operative word is tried.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

However, it seems to me that some of the leadership, such as the Patriarch of Moscow, have hopped into bed with Putin and the oligarchs supporting him.

I read an article about this in the past couple of years.  Fundamentalism is on the rise in Russia and is encouraged by Putin.  He saw how the rightwingers here had paired religion with patriotism and saw an opportunity.  Putin declared Moscow to be a "godly city" and went hard against gay rights in order to court the churches.  He wanted Russia to be in the lead for morality.  A lot of the nuttier fundamentalists in this country started to think maybe Russia isn't as bad as they'd been told.  In short, Russia has the same problem that we do.  The fundamentalists back authoritarianism.

• Upvote 10

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic