IGNORED

The Replicators: Upcoming Babies 18

Bethella

Sounds like pretty good news for baby Caris:

C097CEAE-0AE9-4779-97FC-58A57AC6761B.jpeg.10f41da237027eda8d0c6f883e6b1b5e.jpeg

Not gonna lie, I teared up seeing the update. Very happy Caris is doing well. I hope by sharing this experience, Courtney has encouraged those who follow her to see how positive hospital birthing and medical interventions can be.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 5

I’m also glad Caris is doing better than expected. And I really hope this will be their last baby. She may have her hands overly full with 10 other kids and Caris’s appointments in the next few years. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

Very glad to hear the baby has what seems to be more than a fighting chance. . 

Hopefully, with ten other children, they are still able to pay close enough attention to development to catch issues early enough. 

And god forbid she has another in a year when Caris is still in critical development stages & gets overlooked because of another hospital stay. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

It's also refreshing and such a positive thing that she is open to regular check ups and therapy if Caris needs it as she grows! It appears that Courtney is looking at the future realistically, and it's nice to see that from a fundie- appropriately hopeful, joyful, and relieved, while still understanding that the prognosis could change as possible delays become clear and might then require various therapies to help little Caris along.

Can't help but compare that to JRod's deficiencies in that arena.

• Upvote 18
  • Love 3

21 hours ago, theotherelise said:

Sounds like pretty good news for baby Caris:

Not gonna lie, I teared up seeing the update. Very happy Caris is doing well. I hope by sharing this experience, Courtney has encouraged those who follow her to see how positive hospital birthing and medical interventions can be.

I feel like a party pooper saying this but doctors make mistakes too, in fact neonatal and maternal mortality is pretty bad in the US compared to other developed countries. We don't have all the info to know why she suffered lack of oxygen at birth and it could possibly be a series of bad medical decisions. This said, baby was likely saved by the care she received in the NICU and I'm so glad there is a glimmer of hope that will make a full recovery.

• Upvote 10
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I feel like a party pooper saying this but doctors make mistakes too, in fact neonatal and maternal mortality is pretty bad in the US compared to other developed countries. We don't have all the info to know why she suffered lack of oxygen at birth and it could possibly be a series of bad medical decisions. 

I agree. The maternal mortality rate in the US is appalling. I actually chose an out of hospital birth for my first specifically because the local hospital (only real option) had such dismal outcomes. 50% cesarean rate, absurdly high rates of post birth complications, etc. That said, I’m very very glad that baby Caris is making improvements and was in a hospital with a NICU from the get go. Whether it was just a birth fluke or a medical error, having quick access to that high level of care likely made a difference. 

• Upvote 6

18 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I feel like a party pooper saying this but doctors make mistakes too, in fact neonatal and maternal mortality is pretty bad in the US compared to other developed countries. We don't have all the info to know why she suffered lack of oxygen at birth and it could possibly be a series of bad medical decisions. This said, baby was likely saved by the care she received in the NICU and I'm so glad there is a glimmer of hope that will make a full recovery.

There is a lot to unpack there. We have no idea what happened. Also maternal and neonatal mortality is disproportionate among women of color vs. white women.  Keep in mind both the doctors and patients make medical decisions. We'll probably never know what happened. I'm worried the fear-mongering about the US maternity system will lead more people to turn to woo solutions and make even more dangerous situations and outcomes . One thing that would help is investing in our health care infrastructure. 

• Upvote 13

20 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

Yes, they do. But does that stop you from getting your appendix removed? A joint replacement? Gallbladder removal? Repairing damaged bones? Living is a risk. Why increase that risk by not using what is available to try to help mitigate it? Not guarantee - if you live long enough to be giving birth, you should damn well know nothing in life is guaranteed. 

I understand there are no cookie cutter options or solutions, but that is true of life on planet earth as a whole. Every living human being makes mistakes, sometimes life altering ones. 

In this very situation, whatever happened is none of our business, but Courtney did put parts of the story out there so we can see the effects of "what women have been doing since the dawn of time" gone wrong. Had Courtney not been in the hospital where that baby could be treated immediately, the outcome most likely would have been very different. Since we don't know the cause, we can only go by the effects. And the effects are a baby who, after birth trauma, has a good outlook instead of a funeral. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 11

Doctors are negligent sometimes, but i fell we really lack data this time to judge what really hapened here. For example we dont know if the doctors recomended a c-section and she refused. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

@Bluebirdbluebell @fundiefan @llucie I think we all agree here. I was just saying we don't have the basis to judge if her hospital birthing experience was positive. It's possible her baby survived only thanks to rapid medical intervention and would have died at home. It's possible she refused intervention during birth that would have provided a better outcome. It's also possible there was negligence and she could be suing the hospital for all we know.

The point is we don't know, which is why I can't completely agree with the original poster's statement "I hope by sharing this experience, Courtney has encouraged those who follow her to see how positive hospital birthing and medical interventions can be." That statement would sting if she was the victim of a medical mistake.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

@Bluebirdbluebell @fundiefan @llucie I think we all agree here. I was just saying we don't have the basis to judge if her hospital birthing experience was positive. It's possible her baby survived only thanks to rapid medical intervention and would have died at home. It's possible she refused intervention during birth that would have provided a better outcome. It's also possible there was negligence and she could be suing the hospital for all we know.

The point is we don't know, which is why I can't completely agree with the original poster's statement "I hope by sharing this experience, Courtney has encouraged those who follow her to see how positive hospital birthing and medical interventions can be." That statement would sting if she was the victim of a medical mistake.

I totally agree about that. Specially since people who are against medical intervention will always focuse on those instances where there was a negligence or where there was not a good outcome to justify themselves.

• I Agree 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Hortense Peyrac said:

Tucker Allen Bontrager was  born to Mitchell and Bryn, on December the 7th

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIlckzDF5AP/

Tucker isn’t a terrible name but I wouldn’t use it because of the possible mean nicknames at school. Like Tucker the Fucker or Tucker Motherfucker. But maybe I just expect the worst from school children when it comes to name teasing. Plus Tucker Carlson sucks.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Tucker isn’t a terrible name but I wouldn’t use it because of the possible mean nicknames at school. Like Tucker the Fucker or Tucker Motherfucker. But maybe I just expect the worst from school children when it comes to name teasing. Plus Tucker Carlson sucks.

My mind thinks of Tucker as a dog name.  My friend adopted a dog from the shelter, whose initial name was "Lucky".  But that name didn't seem to fit the dog, so she wanted to change it, but to something similar enough that the dog would recognize it.  So he became Tucker.

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

My mind thinks of Tucker as a dog name.  My friend adopted a dog from the shelter, whose initial name was "Lucky".  But that name didn't seem to fit the dog, so she wanted to change it, but to something similar enough that the dog would recognize it.  So he became Tucker.

I think that when certain names become super popular with dogs, then it becomes a dog name in my brain. The name Molly is cute, but I swear I know way more dogs named Molly than kids. So it ruins it for me as a kid name. Even though I like the name.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Hilariously, a follower on the Instagram post (who may be a distant relative) revealed that their grandson is also named Tucker Allen Bontrager. 

Double the MotherTuckers.

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 17

8 minutes ago, hollyandivy said:

Well, he will never see a school from the inside, so he doesn't have to worry.....

I think Bryn went to a fundie college so he may be allowed to go to a fundie college when he’s older.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, llucie said:

Doctors are negligent sometimes, but i fell we really lack data this time to judge what really hapened here. For example we dont know if the doctors recomended a c-section and she refused. 

Or if they offered to induce earlier and she refused to do so. 

8 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

From what she has said, it sounds like the baby was stuck and she may have had an emergency c-section. Once something goes wrong there's very little that can be done at home.  It's more dangerous to give birth at home, because complications happen and there's nothing that can be done about that. That's what the original poster meant by what she said "how positive hospital birthing can be", not that things can't wrong, but that Courtney was at the hospital she didn't have to wait for an ambulance with the time ticking. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

There is a lot to unpack there. We have no idea what happened. Also maternal and neonatal mortality is disproportionate among women of color vs. white women.  Keep in mind both the doctors and patients make medical decisions. We'll probably never know what happened. I'm worried the fear-mongering about the US maternity system will lead more people to turn to woo solutions and make even more dangerous situations and outcomes . One thing that would help is investing in our health care infrastructure. 

I've also read that part of the relatively high infant mortality rate in the US is a result of the "pro life" lobby pushing for an increasingly broad definition of live birth. In other countries with more liberal social policy, fetuses below a certain length or weight aren't counted the same way in the mortality statistics.

Obviously, this does nothing to explain the maternal mortality and morbidity.

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Bryn went to a fundie college so he may be allowed to go to a fundie college when he’s older.

I don't expect any 'Tucker Motherfucker'-jokes at a fundie college to be honest.

• Haha 5
  • I Agree 7

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Tucker isn’t a terrible name but I wouldn’t use it because of the possible mean nicknames at school. Like Tucker the Fucker or Tucker Motherfucker.

Or just plain Fucker.

Edited by smittykins
  • Haha 5

On 12/9/2020 at 9:51 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Tucker Carlson definitely sucks, but I’d love to have a name I could rhyme with motherfucker.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Themanda Duggar said:

Tucker Carlson definitely sucks, but I’d love to have a name I could rhyme with motherfucker.

Even Tucker Carlson's own mother wouldn't fuck him. Via the New Yorker: "His mother, a bohemian, left the family when he was six and ultimately settled in France; the boys never saw her again."

Basically his entire schtick is a direct result of his deeply entrenched mommy issues. ?

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

• Bethella unpinned and locked this topic