IGNORED

The Replicators: Upcoming Babies 18

Bethella

27 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

Courtney said in her stories that Caris is responsive but they're not sure the extent of damage she may have sustained. MRI in a week.

I can’t imagine how hard the week of waiting to find out will be.  I don’t know who these people are, but I really hope their  baby is alright.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

Birthing can turn scary on a dime. I was a bit triggered today after following baby Caris’ health. My little one in April could have easily been in the same spot as her if not for an emergency C-section. 

Im so glad Courtney births at hospitals and gets prenatal care. I’m so glad Chris was there for this one and the kids are with family. With many of the families we follow, this birth could’ve been deadly.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

Birthing can turn scary on a dime. I was a bit triggered today after following baby Caris’ health. My little one in April could have easily been in the same spot as her if not for an emergency C-section. 

Im so glad Courtney births at hospitals and gets prenatal care. I’m so glad Chris was there for this one and the kids are with family. With many of the families we follow, this birth could’ve been deadly.

I've been thinking about that since yesterday. How many people do home births without a clue? No matter how healthy a pregnancy, no matter how many past births or how perfect those births may have been, anything can go wrong at any given time that has never even been a thought in past pregnancies/births. 

We all take risks, but personally, I would never take that risk with my life or my child's life. I'd rather be in a hospital with the most advanced, accessible care and not need it than be at home and end up needing it but can't get to it in a timely (life saving?) manner. 

Disclaimer: Call me a chickenshit. I won't mind. Since I have never given birth and never will, you can take my opinion with as much salt as necessary. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

48 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I've been thinking about that since yesterday. How many people do home births without a clue? No matter how healthy a pregnancy, no matter how many past births or how perfect those births may have been, anything can go wrong at any given time that has never even been a thought in past pregnancies/births. 

We all take risks, but personally, I would never take that risk with my life or my child's life. I'd rather be in a hospital with the most advanced, accessible care and not need it than be at home and end up needing it but can't get to it in a timely (life saving?) manner. 

Disclaimer: Call me a chickenshit. I won't mind. Since I have never given birth and never will, you can take my opinion with as much salt as necessary. 

No one is as bad as Hannah Manderino. Who refuses to even get a single ultrasound during any of her pregnancies. I can’t believe she can find a midwife that would allow it. But then again, her midwife probably isn’t even licensed. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No one is as bad as Hannah Manderino. Who refuses to even get a single ultrasound during any of her pregnancies. I can’t believe she can find a midwife that would allow it. But then again, her midwife probably isn’t even licensed. 

I have an almost 33 year old daughter, and was in my early 20s when she was born.  It was never even suggested that I get an ultrasound during my pregnancy.  At that point they were only recommended for older women, or if there were indications of problems.  It’s only fairly recently that ultrasounds have become routine for young healthy women.

The boutique ultrasound places seem really strange to me.

• Upvote 7

16 minutes ago, Themanda Duggar said:

I have an almost 33 year old daughter, and was in my early 20s when she was born.  It was never even suggested that I get an ultrasound during my pregnancy.  At that point they were only recommended for older women, or if there were indications of problems.  It’s only fairly recently that ultrasounds have become routine for young healthy women.

The boutique ultrasound places seem really strange to me.

Yes, that was 33 years ago. This is 2020 and ultrasounds are an awesome technological advancement that can help detect so many issues so you are prepared when you give birth. Ultrasounds detected an issue with my son and I’m very glad for it. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 3

They were an awesome advancement 33 years ago, too.  I don’t know how old you were when your son was born, but if you were over 30, you’d have had an ultrasound then, too.

• Upvote 2

I'm almost 37 and my mom had an ultrasound with me. She was 27/28 while pregnant and didn't have any complications . *shrug* They are pretty standard now.

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, EmiSue said:

Courtney said in her stories that Caris is responsive but they're not sure the extent of damage she may have sustained. MRI in a week.

I really hope that Caris is fine. Having a kid with special needs must be overwhelming for any parent but with these many small children I just don't know how it would work out.

• Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

I really hope that Caris is fine. Having a kid with special needs must be overwhelming for any parent but with these many small children I just don't know how it would work out.

Especially because I'm not sure she would stop having more kids so that she could concentrate on giving extra attention to a child with extra needs. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 11

21 hours ago, Themanda Duggar said:

The boutique ultrasound places seem really strange to me

A boutique ultrasound places ENRAGE me. Obstetric ultrasound should be used to address medical concerns/identify problems and to this end there are protocols and guidelines which have been created in collaboration with radiology/obstetrics/surgery/pediatrics. A boutique ultrasound is just a pretty picture. I hope people are aware they are just for show and not diagnostic but I'm not so sure. Additionally, currently ultrasound is considered to be safe but if there is one thing radiology has learned is that you have to be cautious about any imaging - sometimes future research will identify a significant risk. This is why the rule in radiology is to keep the dose as low as reasonably possible even if you know of no risks at present. If in the future we identify an ultrasound risk I can  justify the ultrasounds/use of 3D, use of Doppler/use of colour flow imaging I do because they provided a medical benefit necessary for the care of mom and/or baby. A boutique ultrasound will have a hard time justifying a pretty picture. 

Ok  rant over.

• Upvote 12
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 6

I’m a few weeks behind on this thread. How scary for Courtney, I hope she and Caris are ok :( 

As for names, I prefer Charis (the Greek word for ‘grace’ from which we get words like charismatic) or Carys (a Welsh name meaning ‘loved’) but I like the sound and Audrey is a lovely middle name. Evangeline was on my list for baby #3 (with the “leen” sound, although I’d still go for “line” over “lynn” which sounds wrong to me) nicknamed Lina because I knew too many Evies. I’ve always quite liked Felicity so I think Jinger and Jeremy have good taste. I’m curious what they’d call a boy.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

Joshua Phillips (son of Doug & Be-all) and Delany Sproul Phillips are expecting a son in April 2021. 

• Thank You 4

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Joshua Phillips (son of Doug & Be-all) and Delany Sproul Phillips are expecting a son in April 2021. 

Are they still in Scotland?

3 hours ago, jlbturtle said:

Pretty sure Susanna Wilkes (aka Neely) is due February 2021 

I saw it on the registry website,  but there's only one item on it- a baby carrier!

21 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

I saw it on the registry website,  but there's only one item on it- a baby carrier!

I bet she just got started. I bet she will add some more later. I was like that with my baby registry. I kept adding on over time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

Are they still in Scotland?

No, they came back to the US. 

• Thank You 3

Ruth Wissmann Bourlier is due with #4 in July 2021. Her older sister Rachel Wissmann Businitz is due with #4 in June. I wonder if they will have close birthdays. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 6

32 minutes ago, teachergirl said:

That's four in four years for Ruth I believe....

Rachel and Ruth must be trying to make up for lost time since they got married in their 30s.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Rachel and Ruth must be trying to make up for lost time since they got married in their 30s.

Rachel and her husband dealt with infertility for the first few years of their marriage. Now they are expecting number 4 and have a nice spacing between their kids. Unfortunately Rachel is getting more and more crazy with her political/hateful postings.

Ruth seems to be very fertile and I wonder if number four will be a boy again.

• Upvote 6

According to Courtney, little Caris is off the vent and breathing on her own. They started her on breast-milk and she didn't do too well with it by mouth so she's being fed milk by tube for right now, although they've given her a pacifier and she was doing well with sucking it the past 24 hours so they hope to try her on milk from bottle or breast again soon. They were expecting to do the MRI on Saturday night local time with results on Monday.

I'm so happy for Caris (and her parents) that she is breathing on her own. Some good news but I can't imagine how anxious they are for these MRI results.

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Aine said:

According to Courtney, little Caris is off the vent and breathing on her own. They started her on breast-milk and she didn't do too well with it by mouth so she's being fed milk by tube for right now, although they've given her a pacifier and she was doing well with sucking it the past 24 hours so they hope to try her on milk from bottle or breast again soon. They were expecting to do the MRI on Saturday night local time with results on Monday.

I'm so happy for Caris (and her parents) that she is breathing on her own. Some good news but I can't imagine how anxious they are for these MRI results.

She's just posted on her story that Caris is breastfeeding, so another positive step. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 4

• Bethella unpinned and locked this topic