IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus: With Pence in Charge, We're Doomed

GreyhoundFan

3 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

They shop, stay at hotels... All he can think about is making money. Even if it's off of a dangerous pandemic.

He is such a ghoul.  What's next...spinning it as a positive if the market for caskets goes up?

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

He is such a ghoul.  What's next...spinning it as a positive if the market for caskets goes up?

He's going to blow a gasket when he sees this headline... :pb_lol:

• Haha 9

They are getting people killed in order to hide Trump’s inadequacy and idiocy.

• WTF 15

Hey @fraurosena, how is the virus situation where you are?  What is your government doing to support the public (sick and well)?  Are there enough test kits?  Hospital resources?  Are people prepping with food and household supplies like so many have been doing here in the US?  Are nearby European countries responding as yours is? 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

Hey @fraurosena, how is the virus situation where you are?  What is your government doing to support the public (sick and well)?  Are there enough test kits?  Hospital resources?  Are people prepping with food and household supplies like so many have been doing here in the US?  Are nearby European countries responding as yours is? 

As of today there are 38 confirmed cases. All of these patients either visited Lombardy in Northern Italy or are people who are related to people have the virus. One doctor was infected by a patient (before the patient was known to have the virus).

As far as I know, nobody is prepping in my country. We are being informed continuously, and most news outlets have running liveblogs on the situation. Nobody is panicking right now, but people are (mildly) concerned, and most people I know are following the situation as it develops.

We have enough test kits and resources at the moment, but there are concerns that there will be a shortage of FFP2 mouth masks and other preventatives -- not only here but in other European countries as well.

The virus is most problematic in Italy, which is where the virus entered Europe. They have 3000 confirmed cases and 107 corona related deaths. They are taking drastic measures to contain the spread of the virus, such as closing all schools, and sporting events have been closed to the public-- but @laPapessaGiovanna could tell you more about what's going on there. 

Germany has 240 cases.

Belgium has 23.

Slovenia has one case.

France has 285 cases, 4 deaths. 

Two Iranian students in Hungary have been contaminated with the virus after visiting their homeland.

There are 85 cases in the UK (as of yesterday).

I can't say much of anything about the measures these individual countries are taking, but the EU has instated a Corona virus response team.

As far as I can tell, I think the response to the virus in my country and in Europe is adequate enough, but only time will tell.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 10

4 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

As far as I can tell, I think the response to the virus in my country and in Europe is adequate enough, but only time will tell.

Stay safe.  Sounds like things are calmer than they are here (and I'm not surprised).  I hope the various governments can become more proactive than reactive.  I'm no expert, obviously, but am thinking that giving the kids some time off from school and encouraging adults to work from home before reported outbreaks might help prevent the virus from rapidly spreading in communities - at least in well-populated areas where it's expected.  Might buy needed time to understand the virus better and arrange resources for the ill.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, fraurosena said:

They are getting people killed in order to hide Trump’s inadequacy and idiocy.

I overheard two ladies yesterday at the grocery store saying this was all a big nothing and the democrats were just trying to make Trump look bad since they couldn't impeach him. It is so frustrating that he is spreading lies and people are believing them! 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 5
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

Stay safe.  Sounds like things are calmer than they are here (and I'm not surprised).  I hope the various governments can become more proactive than reactive.  I'm no expert, obviously, but am thinking that giving the kids some time off from school and encouraging adults to work from home before reported outbreaks might help prevent the virus from rapidly spreading in communities - at least in well-populated areas where it's expected.  Might buy needed time to understand the virus better and arrange resources for the ill.

Working from home is encouraged by some companies -- and in one case that I know of even mandated by a company after one of their employees was diagnosed. 

People are told on a daily basis which hygienic measures they can take -- always the same, but repeating it continuously will help with embedding it in people's minds. 

I'm at a low risk of direct contamination myself -- I work from home. But DH works at the University of Amsterdam, and DS3 goes to the Free University in Amsterdam, so they are both more at risk. We're not afraid of contamination as the three of us are all healthy. We are worried about DS2 though, who has a whole range of health issues and the consequences of his getting the virus could get bad. Hubs has bought us some FFP2 masks just in case.

Edited by fraurosena
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

We went grocery shopping yesterday and it was amazing how people were stockpiling and stripping shelves of sanitizers, rubbing alcohol, paper products, etc.  We hoped to find a couple travel size packs of disinfectant wipes, silly us.  We live in an area where people are encouraged to prepare for the aftermath of earthquakes, so hopefully these items will be useful as a disaster preparedness kit.   One gentleman stocked up on beer.  Good thinking!

My mother-in-law is basically quarantined at her assisted living facility.  She had a health problem yesterday and when we called to make an appointment, the health center said they were inundated with coronavirus cases (real or imagined) and they would send a mobile unit to her facility.  

My dentist's office removed all magazines (drat, I always get there early to read the gossip mags) and had CDC literature and hand sanitizer on all table tops instead.

People are taking it seriously around here, probably because we are not far from the Kirkland nursing facility which is considered our local "ground zero."

• Love 14

33 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

In addition to all his other issues - it seems that POTUS is mathematically "challenged"...

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Interesting live data site.  Map tab is very useful (and cites reliable news sources for its data)

https://ncov2019.live/data

Developed by a Washington State High School Student

That's a good site. Sadly, the data is not up to date for my country. We had a lot of new cases today and are up to 82. Of the 44 new cases, 2 needed to be hospitalised. The others are quarantined at home.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3

@fraurosena - I noticed a San Fran bay area blue dot with a white cross on it - clicked - that's Google HQ - they're trying to get Google's attention because they need to add more editors to keep up with he changes.  

• Upvote 3

We did some stock piling earlier this week. Nothing like clearing shelves or buying face masks or anything, but I did a review of our medicine cabinet, cleaning/paper products, and nonperishable food and then purchased what we were low on or might go through quickly. We'll use it all eventually and should be better prepared for tornado season in our area anyway. I work from home as it is, and my husband is a teacher so if schools ever close in our area, we wouldn't HAVE to leave the house and I'd prefer not to (which as an introvert is typical for me anyway ?). Maybe that makes us crazy doomsday preppers, but I think we kept it pretty rational. In fact, my anxiety is worrying that we didn't do ENOUGH and now the less rational people have taken everything. On Monday, hand sanitizer was nonexistent and hand soap and bleach wipes were low. We don't even have a confirmed case in our state!

• Upvote 8

46 minutes ago, Ticklish said:

We did some stock piling earlier this week. Nothing like clearing shelves or buying face masks or anything, but I did a review of our medicine cabinet, cleaning/paper products, and nonperishable food and then purchased what we were low on or might go through quickly. We'll use it all eventually and should be better prepared for tornado season in our area anyway. I work from home as it is, and my husband is a teacher so if schools ever close in our area, we wouldn't HAVE to leave the house and I'd prefer not to (which as an introvert is typical for me anyway ?). Maybe that makes us crazy doomsday preppers, but I think we kept it pretty rational. In fact, my anxiety is worrying that we didn't do ENOUGH and now the less rational people have taken everything. On Monday, hand sanitizer was nonexistent and hand soap and bleach wipes were low. We don't even have a confirmed case in our state!

I'm going to stop on the way home and do the same - I'm not panicking but the thought of running out of toilet paper is terrifying.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

Interesting live data site.  Map tab is very useful (and cites reliable news sources for its data)

https://ncov2019.live/data

Developed by a Washington State High School Student

So the US has worse recovered vs dead ratio? To me this would indicate that we have a problem identifying/diagnosing and then treating. Seemingly, people are waiting too long to seek treatment? Is this just another indication of the best medical system on the planet? 

• Upvote 6

@HerNameIsBuffy, that was definitely on my list! That was really the only thing that I knew I'd buy no matter what we had stashed away already. I don't even want to think about running out!

• Upvote 2

I have a toilet paper subscription on Amazon. It comes religiously every other month. I actually have many rolls stockpiled, and so far Amazon has not let me down.

• Upvote 3

@SassyPants right now the numbers are a bit skewed in the US.  Keep in mind that a lot of the Washington deaths are all coming out of LifeCare - the nursing home so patients there are elderly and/or have serious underlying health issues.  That was an environment where it passed quickly due to the circumstances.  

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, Ticklish said:

Maybe that makes us crazy doomsday preppers, but I think we kept it pretty rational. In fact, my anxiety is worrying that we didn't do ENOUGH and now the less rational people have taken everything. On Monday, hand sanitizer was nonexistent and hand soap and bleach wipes were low. We don't even have a confirmed case in our state!

I'm also getting concerned that I didn't do enough (but feel otherwise more rational than anxious)...and am trying to decide whether I should make one more trip now or wait until I might be running out of things.  At that point, however, the virus will have definitely hit my area.  I probably have enough TP and other paper products to last about a month.  I already had some hand sanitizer and generic Clorox wipes.  I bought a can of Lysol last week.  I could use some more nonperishable and frozen/freezable food though...but probably nothing I couldn't manage without.  A dilemma.  I'm leaning toward going.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic